Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Help (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   An annoying ad-ware, most likely. (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50892)

Skurai 2012-05-14 02:04 AM

An annoying ad-ware, most likely.

1 Attachment(s)
This never happened before... maybe about a week ago.
On Facebook, Youtube, and Google. There will be large gaps out of nowhere, and an implication that an ad is supposed to be there. Ad Block + makes these ads invisible, but no less annoying! I do not like big blank spots, especially ones that move things about like this. I have to scroll and extra inch or two just to see comments on photos, or to select a new video. The most annoying thing is when I type in even "Zelaron" it will appear as the top result, only for an Ad to appear, moving it down a level. What Adware would it be? How do I get rid of it? Lennnnnyyyyyyy~!

Lenny 2012-05-14 03:27 AM

I'm a Java developer... why does everyone assume I can fix anything computer related?

First step, whenever you think you have a virus, or malware, is to run various scanners. Assuming you have a genuine copy of Windows 7, install and run Microsoft Security Essentials. You should also install and run MalwareBytes. If you really want to, you can also run things like Spybot, but I don't think it's that good any more.

Alternatively, Google your problem and follow the instructions in what is sure to be one of a few thousand posts.

Skurai 2012-05-14 11:53 AM

Spybot hasn't been doing any good, and neither of the suggested programs found anything. I searched for the possible programs google told me to look for and I've found nothing. However, I know for a FACT that this is SOMETHING, because it only started a couple days ago...

Lenny 2012-05-14 12:09 PM

Have you tried a system restore, to rollback before the problem started? What were you doing when the problem started? Did you visit any dodgy sites? Did you install a new program, or a plugin?

Information is KEY!

Skurai 2012-05-14 12:38 PM

Well, I think it started after I began requesting PRON for my... well... *ahem*
I don't really think it's anything but that. I don't really know how to do a system restore. It seems that removing Firefox and Google Chrome, then reinstalling them helped, though...

Lenny 2012-05-14 12:49 PM

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

And roll back to the most recent date before the problems began.

!King_Amazon! 2012-05-14 01:09 PM

I believe some viruses will embed themselves in the restore files so that that method is not successful. It's definitely worth a try though.

http://productforums.google.com/foru...ch/92vqKvmBzKM

It looks like most likely it's being caused by some extension or program. That link should give you enough info to figure out what's going on, hopefully. The fact that the spots say "ad not by google" and "ads not by facebook" and such is something you can google to help find solutions as well. That definitely seems abnormal to me.

kaos 2012-05-14 04:28 PM

C: / Windows32 > Delete.

Skurai 2012-05-14 07:41 PM

I've tried to google it, and google won't say anything. It keeps implying that it's a program google made itself, even though it's clearly not. I also had a couple encounters with Search Enhancer, and when I google how to get rid of it, none of the suggested programs for me to delete were even in my computer.

kaos 2012-05-14 11:03 PM

Adaware+, CCleaner. Use them in safe mode. Problem solved. Dont download PPi programs on the internets mang.

Skurai 2012-05-15 12:23 AM

PPi programs?

Grav 2012-05-15 07:20 AM

Personal Privacy irritants. Sort of like a staph infection of the hard drive.

jamer123 2012-05-18 07:27 PM

check on firefox the plugins ... the family laptop had allmost the same issue ... slowed down internet and annoying ads

Skurai 2012-05-19 09:21 AM

I uninstalled both Google Chrome and Firefox, got them back, ripped out a majority of the Aps I didn't recognize, and then removed a lot of the programs that have been sitting around the last year or so that I didn't use or recognize.
Computer's been nice so far...