Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Opinion and Debate (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=332)
-   -   Is Islamophobia racist? (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53872)

Demosthenes 2015-03-02 10:32 AM

Is Islamophobia racist?

Well, is it?

D3V 2015-03-02 12:54 PM

No. Muslims aren't a race they are a religion.

Same with Jews. I fucking loathe when people claim racism against Jews when they're a fucking religion.

Get baited so easily.

GODDAMNIT.

edit: Oh, guess the United States Supreme Court thinks differently: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../615/case.html

!King_Amazon! 2015-03-02 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demosthenes (Post 704971)
Well, is it?

Probably not technically "racist" but certainly within the realm of ignorant/hateful.

Skurai 2015-03-03 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V (Post 704978)
No. Muslims aren't a race they are a religion.

Same with Jews.

Well, the problem with this, is that usually the phobics don't know. They're almost always unwilling to even look up the basics outside their own social circles (i.e. "What's a Muslim?" he asks his friend, pastor of Westboro Baptist Church). You can expect Rednecks to shoot of their guns and go "9/11! 9/11!" if you mention a Muslim, and I'm sure most of them go "Jews!? Didn't they kill Jesus!!!!???"

These people literally do not know Islam is a religion. They do not know Arabic is a race. They do not know Jew is a religion. They honestly don't know most of the Bible they're 21-gun-saluting. Because they can't read.

Is Islamaphobia racist? It depends on the brainpower the perpetrator has. If it's a person who might actually be smart, then no, it's just Islamaphobia. But if they're a redneck, just assume they hate anyone who "did 9/11!!"

D3V 2015-03-04 08:20 AM

Arabic is not a race.

Skurai 2015-03-04 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V (Post 705002)
Arabic is not a race.

You should probably take that up with my ex, a half Arabic girl, who always referred to her family as Arabic.

No offense. I'm just taking the opinion of an Arabic girl, over if her race is a race or not, instead of a non-Arabian.

A-Rab, on the other hand, is not a race. :^)

D3V 2015-03-04 09:31 AM

Arabic is a language and she's a fucking moron.

Skurai 2015-03-05 11:29 AM

That's awful interesting, coming from someone who is neither from that area, speaks that language, or is that race.
Tell me, what's your opinion on North Korea?

D3V 2015-03-05 11:36 AM

Saying somebody is Arabic would imply they are from a region of the world that is primarily compromised of Arabs because of their language, Arabic.. If they claim that is their race, they are stupid. It's not a race. It's as simple as that.

Skurai 2015-03-05 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V (Post 705028)
Saying somebody is Arabic would imply they are from a region of the world that is primarily compromised of Arabs because of their language, Arabic.. If they claim that is their race, they are stupid. It's not a race. It's as simple as that.

I'm pretty sure if you come from a region where the language is Japanese, you're probably Japanese, or at the very least from Japan. What exactly would you call someone born in South Africa, speaking Afrikans, other than South African? I'm honestly not seeing anything but flaws in your argument, D3V.

D3V 2015-03-06 08:42 AM

Claiming a region and claiming a race are two completely different things.

This thread:

-Is islamophobia racist?
-Islam is not a race.

You:
-Arabic is a race

Reality:
-Arabic is not a race.

Skurai 2015-03-07 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V (Post 705052)
Claiming a region and claiming a race are two completely different things.

This thread:

-Is islamophobia racist?
-Islam is not a race.

You:
-Arabic is a race

Reality:
-Arabic is not a race.

You: I am Reality

Me: An actual Arabic Islamic person disagrees with you, and you refuse to accept it

How exactly do you not see the ignorance you're displaying? You are exactly no different than a Redneck claiming Islam is a Terrorism.

Demosthenes 2015-03-09 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skurai (Post 704987)
Well, the problem with this, is that usually the phobics don't know. They're almost always unwilling to even look up the basics outside their own social circles (i.e. "What's a Muslim?" he asks his friend, pastor of Westboro Baptist Church). You can expect Rednecks to shoot of their guns and go "9/11! 9/11!" if you mention a Muslim, and I'm sure most of them go "Jews!? Didn't they kill Jesus!!!!???"

These people literally do not know Islam is a religion. They do not know Arabic is a race. They do not know Jew is a religion. They honestly don't know most of the Bible they're 21-gun-saluting. Because they can't read.

Is Islamaphobia racist? It depends on the brainpower the perpetrator has. If it's a person who might actually be smart, then no, it's just Islamaphobia. But if they're a redneck, just assume they hate anyone who "did 9/11!!"

This!

I don't think Islamophobia is racist in principle, but it is absolutely racist in practice. There was a video on Reddit just a few days ago of a Sikh middle-schooler being slurred as a terrorist. Why, if he's not Islamic? Because of his ethnicity. Because of his race. To the perpetrator's mind, he shares physical similarities to "Islamists" (whatever that means) and jihadists, and that is enough to inculpate him. If that's not racism, I don't know what is. And that phenomenon transcends middle-school bullying. It seems pretty pervasive. So is Islamophobia racist? In practice, absolutely.

That said, race is a very hard thing to define. It has been scientifically undefinable for the last 80-90 years. Given that its definition is cultural, it seems at least Eurocentric to deny that label to those that identify as a race because it's done in a way that you're unfamiliar with.