Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   RPGMaker (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   [RM2K3] Some rather complicated game parts (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47484)

idiotno69 2008-11-10 01:51 PM

Some rather complicated game parts

Alright, so it's been a while since I have been on RPG Maker 2003, but I still have my knowledge from before. The reason why I stopped was because I kept running into the same issues and I didn't have the resources to overcome them.

The first is I can't find a good explanation on how to make a Custom System. I'm sure that once I have a good base explanation, I can really manipulate it to my advantage.

The second is I need some sort of system that makes bars go down as you do not fulfill needs. Sort of like The Sims' motive bars, except less extreme, because I only need a few bars.

A basic explanation or a link to a great tutorial site would be great.

Thanks.

Wed-G 2008-11-11 12:50 AM

Quick explanations:

Menu - Auto start event, use "Input Processing" or something along those lines to detect a keystroke and use a fork command to show a certain image. Really simple, just tedious.

Bars - Kinda tough math. Cross multiplication of fractions.
Code:

N  x  X
100  10

N is the percentage left out of 100. X is the length of the bar used. For example, if the "hunger" bar meets half-way (%50) N becomes 50, multiply N by the 10 (cross multiply) then divide that number by 100 to equal 5, the length of the bar.

Another example, just for added confusion, if the "hunger" bar meets one third (%33) N becomes 33, multiply N by the 10 (cross multiply) then divide that number by 100 to equal 3.3, BUT, RM2K3 doesn't support decimals. Don't worry though, it automatically raises to the higher (if 5 or above) number. EG. 3.3 = 3, 4.6 = 5.

Savvy?

Wolfturn 2008-11-11 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wed-G (Post 659596)
Quick explanations:

Menu - Auto start event, use "Input Processing" or something along those lines to detect a keystroke and use a fork command to show a certain image. Really simple, just tedious.

Code:

N  x  X
100  10

N is the percentage left out of 100. X is the length of the bar used. For example, if the "hunger" bar meets half-way (%50) N becomes 50, multiply N by the 10 (cross multiply) then divide that number by 100 to equal 5, the length of the bar.

Another example, just for added confusion, if the "hunger" bar meets one third (%33) N becomes 33, multiply N by the 10 (cross multiply) then divide that number by 100 to equal 3.3, BUT, RM2K3 doesn't support decimals. Don't worry though, it automatically raises to the higher (if 5 or above) number. EG. 3.3 = 3, 4.6 = 5.

Savvy?

Wow... thats a bit more advanced than i would think.

idiotno69 2008-11-11 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wed-G (Post 659596)
Quick explanations:

Code:

N  x  X
100  10

Savvy?

Well, good thing I know algebra or that would have completely flew right over me.

Thanks, although I might have to come back for a little help with that along the way.

Noob101 2008-11-11 02:07 PM

I use chipsets for menus - have a different map for each part of the menu, and just teleport to each map as needed. Simply use RememberPlace (or whatever it is called - I forget. :/) to teleport to the same map you were at before you accessed the menu.

I don't think I've ever had problems with using that system.

Wed-G 2008-11-11 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noob101 (Post 659639)
I don't think I've ever had problems with using that system.

Very big problem with ABS though. It allows for an exploit in teleportation. If you're surrounded by guys, open the menu, close it and !BOOM! bad guys are back to their spawn locations. Pretty cheesy.

Noob101 2008-11-12 04:44 PM

Oh. Yeah, I suppose - I never had a full ABS implemented into a game I've done, so I never encountered this problem.

For bars, you could have a picture and variable system, with a bar being shown on screen depending on the variable. This might become a little confusing with a large variable system, but it should suit small needs.

Am I oversimplifying your requests?