Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Anime Corner (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=394)
-   -   what was your first anime? (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41888)

Skurai 2008-07-15 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willkillforfood (Post 644376)
My first anime, and I suspect a lot of people's, was Speed Racer.

Oddly enough, I don't even remember seeing speed racer, even once...

Lenny 2009-03-25 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny (Post 643992)
Bump!

I haven't a clue about my frist anime cartoon (most probably Pokemon, though), but I can remember that the first anime film I watched was Akira. I've since watched Spirited Away, and last Friday I watched Princess Mononoke. Methinks I ought to find the other films the guy who made those two has done, as I really enjoyed the two I've seen.

What's Howl's Moving Castle like?

Rumpity Dumpity Bump-bump.

If Pokemon is counted as an anime series, then that was my first taste, but I haven't seen the whole thing (as a corridor we ordered the first series of the Indigo League, so I'm slowly making my through the first 30 episodes from the start).

The first full anime series I've seen took me all of Monday, and it rocked my socks! Cowboy Bebop!! Utterly fantastic. The characters are interesting, the plots are quite nice, the underlying story is good, the ending is satisfactory (even if sad), and though you're not shown too much of it the series Universe is brilliant.

Oh, and Ed. :D:D:D:D:D It's only been a couple of days, but I'm really missing Ed. :(

Other than that, I've seen all the Miyazaki Studio Ghibli films (Nausicaa had to be by far my favourite), Akira, and the Cowboy Bebop film.

Chruser 2009-03-25 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny (Post 668870)
Rumpity Dumpity Bump-bump.

If Pokemon is counted as an anime series, then that was my first taste, but I haven't seen the whole thing (as a corridor we ordered the first series of the Indigo League, so I'm slowly making my through the first 30 episodes from the start).

The first full anime series I've seen took me all of Monday, and it rocked my socks! Cowboy Bebop!! Utterly fantastic. The characters are interesting, the plots are quite nice, the underlying story is good, the ending is satisfactory (even if sad), and though you're not shown too much of it the series Universe is brilliant.

Oh, and Ed. :D:D:D:D:D It's only been a couple of days, but I'm really missing Ed. :(

Other than that, I've seen all the Miyazaki Studio Ghibli films (Nausicaa had to be by far my favourite), Akira, and the Cowboy Bebop film.

I agree that Nausicaa is the best Miyazaki film so far. Grave of the Fireflies is another, excellent movie by Studio Ghibli, although Miyazaki's involvement in it was minimal.

Anyway, here are a few recommendations for you:
  • Trigun - On par with Cowboy Bebop. A must-watch.
  • Ghost in the Shell - Both of the films (at least the first two ones) and the two SAC series.
  • Texhnolyze - Probably too weird and dark unless you can appreciate the works of Nietzsche and Lovecraft. It's my favorite anime series.
  • Serial Experiments: Lain - Another "weird" and psychedelic show that tackles many of the profound questions of reality, time, sentience and the conglomeration of selves into hive mind-like structures.
  • Kaiji - A philosophical show about gambling with a plot that plummets into an abyss of cruelty and darkness. It has kept me more on edge than any other show that I've watched.
  • Last Exile - A Victorian-style capital-class airship warfare anime. A bit like a Nausicaa and Laputa crossover.

Lenny 2009-03-26 07:13 AM

The sister of someone on my corridor has the whole Studio Ghibli collection, I think, so he's going to rip them to his hard drive and bring them up for next term.

I've heard quite a bit about GitS, so I'll definitely give that a lookee. Last Exile sounds very interesting, and I'll hunt down Trigun. If I come across any of the others I'll see what they're like. Which of them are completed series, and which are ongoing?

Wed-G 2009-04-02 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovereign (Post 575798)
First anime I bought was VanDread.

Old thread, I know, but Vandread is da shit.

Chruser 2009-04-02 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny (Post 668962)
The sister of someone on my corridor has the whole Studio Ghibli collection, I think, so he's going to rip them to his hard drive and bring them up for next term.

I've heard quite a bit about GitS, so I'll definitely give that a lookee. Last Exile sounds very interesting, and I'll hunt down Trigun. If I come across any of the others I'll see what they're like. Which of them are completed series, and which are ongoing?

Kaiji is the only ongoing series, but I don't expect episodes from the next season to be aired anytime soon.

AceOneZero 2009-04-02 07:57 PM

Star Blazers,Robotech, Voltron, Thunder Cats, these were the first anime I ever saw.

Sovereign 2009-04-03 01:35 AM

I only recently started watching star blazers. Kinda annoying that it doesn't have any sub track. Don't care too much for the american voices.

kyeruu 2009-04-17 03:52 PM

i'm finishing line barrels of iron now : ( and since i dont' want any mainstream animes (naruto) i'll just do something else.

Lenny 2009-07-20 03:32 PM

I haven't hunted down any of the ones Chruser suggested yet, but since that post I've made my way through Samurai Champloo (subs), and I'm on to episode four of Outlaw Star (dubs. :().

Asamin 2009-07-21 08:18 AM

I recently watched Fullmetal Alchemist.

!King_Amazon! 2009-07-21 08:20 AM

Been watching Saikano recently. It's kinda depressing.

D3V 2009-07-21 08:21 AM

pokemon.

Skurai 2009-07-21 12:45 PM

I've been watching Trigun (dub) and Evangelion (dub, for some reason).

D3V 2009-07-22 01:14 PM

okay now, chewtoyboy666

Skurai 2009-07-22 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V (Post 679018)
okay now, chewtoyboy666

Ow yeaaaaaa... I remember that. That's when people thought I was a Satanist, right?:weird:

D3V 2009-07-22 01:43 PM

lolwut

Skurai 2009-07-22 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V (Post 679023)
lolwut

It happened a while back. I was mistaken for some other Skurai... :rolleyes:

D3V 2009-07-22 02:32 PM

wait, so which one is the pedophile

Skurai 2009-07-22 11:53 PM

The other one....