Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Opinion and Debate (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=332)
-   -   Are we in control of our Decisions? (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48981)

D3V 2009-05-20 08:45 AM

Are we in control of our Decisions?

BORKED

I've always wanted to create a topic about this subject, but have never gotten around to this.

In this presentaion there is a great point of view put on and really makes you question how preception works. It's amazing, just watch the video.

/discuss

!King_Amazon! 2009-05-20 08:51 AM

I'll watch the video when I get home later.

Technically, that question kinda doesn't work. It is the nature of decisions that, by calling them decisions, you're declaring that you are consciously deciding. If our "decisions" weren't controlled by us, they wouldn't be "decisions."

However, I know what the question means, and I'd say it's a good question that I have no answer to.

D3V 2009-05-20 08:54 AM

I'm in the same boat as you.

The question does have an automatic spin on it, but it does have an actual meaning. The video dwells more into the perception of what we think is there, and how it can be changed, it really is quite remarkable.

!King_Amazon! 2009-05-20 08:56 AM

I'd say my initial thought is yes, we are in control of our actions, but I still can't say with much certainty.

Sum Yung Guy 2009-05-20 09:01 AM

Would it matter if we were in 'control' of our actions or not? You can't go back in time and redo something. As long as you feel like you are in control, that is all that should matter. I personally believe that every possible scenario in our universe in played out in a branching many worlds quantum state and therefor we don't control our actions. It just has to happen.

!King_Amazon! 2009-05-20 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sum Yung Guy (Post 672708)
I personally believe that every possible scenario in our universe in played out in a branching many worlds quantum state and therefor we don't control our actions. It just has to happen.

I agree but I also disagree. I agree about your theory that the universe plays out in many ways. My theory right now regarding fate is that it exists, but only due to technicality. My theory is that every time a decision is made, a branch is formed and you take whichever path your decision takes you on. In an alternate reality, you made a different decision and took a different path. So basically, what this ends up meaning is that every possible outcome is already determined.

So basically, fate DOES exist, but it doesn't necessarily imply lack of free will. What CAN happen to you is already determined, and based on your decisions, what WILL happen is revealed.

That's my theory anyway.

Sum Yung Guy 2009-05-20 09:14 AM

Deep yo. Im gonna take a nap and reflect on this shit niqqa.

WetWired 2009-05-20 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sum Yung Guy (Post 672708)
I personally believe that every possible scenario in our universe in played out in a branching many worlds quantum state and therefor we don't control our actions. It just has to happen.

The whole quantum branching thing is an interesting theory, but what about light? Isn't the standing theory that individual photons behave as if they were part of a wave because they are interacting with photons from quantum branches where they take all possible paths? If those quantum branches continue to exist as you suggest, shouldn't the behavior of light appear to be completely random due to interaction with universes with vastly different current states?

Sum Yung Guy 2009-05-20 10:33 AM

Or it is completely 'random' already, but because it is all we have known it seems normal. Actually though I see what your getting at WetWired. Let me dwell on those thoughts with another nap.

!King_Amazon! 2009-05-20 10:38 AM

My theory came to me through my drug use, primarily salvia. I percieved time in such a way.

Willkillforfood 2009-05-20 10:50 AM

I think that we can't let our conscious mind take 100% of the credit for our decisions. They are underlying biological imperatives that strongly influence our behavior. Sex, hunger, thirst, and all kinds of other things make our decisions complicated. However, all that aside, I think they're ours to make.

D3V 2009-05-20 11:30 AM

Quote:

So basically, fate DOES exist, but it doesn't necessarily imply lack of free will. What CAN happen to you is already determined, and based on your decisions, what WILL happen is revealed.
I agree with you on this. Basically what I am seeing you say is that there is already an infinte amount of possibilities that can happen from previous scenarios that have already taken place, and if you go with option A or option B the C will always be the same because it is following the possibilities of things that could happen, because of what has already happened. And that we can only be in control of certain situations, but for the most part every thing in our lives is predetermined from the course of evolution/choices/variables etc.

!King_Amazon! 2009-05-20 11:38 AM

I think you might be misunderstanding or overcomplicating, or I might be misunderstanding you.

Basically, if you're making a decision between A and B, the outcome of A will always be the same, and the outcome of B will always be the same, but the outcomes of A and B are not the same, if that makes since. You're basically choosing outcomes that you don't know. Apply this to every decision or occurance ever to take place. You get an infinitely large number of possibilities, and consequently an infinitely large number of alternate realities.

D3V 2009-05-20 11:48 AM

That was my point, just mine was overcomplicated.

Sum Yung Guy 2009-05-20 12:10 PM

However still predetermined. I had to choose choice A because my other self split off to choose choice B. And he had to choose choice B because I choose choice A. Wtf are we debating again? lol

Ahh I see 'Are we in control of our Decisions?'
I think the words we are using do not accuratly represent what we are debating. Desicions... choices... chance... Sure you do decide to do things on your own, and forge your own path, just as much as a meteor chooses to fly through space and hit another chunk of matter. Just remember, we are all chemical reactions, and we all follow the laws of physics. But it seems that we have evolved to the point that we are so great and powerful that we can defy the laws of physics. But damn does it feel good to feel like you are in control doesn't it? Let's just continue that visage for now.

!King_Amazon! 2009-05-20 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sum Yung Guy (Post 672764)
However still predetermined. I had to choose choice A because my other self split off to choose choice B. And he had to choose choice B because I choose choice A. Wtf are we debating again? lol

Ahh I see 'Are we in control of our Decisions?'
I think the words we are using do not accuratly represent what we are debating. Desicions... choices... chance... Sure you do decide to do things on your own, and forge your own path, just as much as a meteor chooses to fly through space and hit another chunk of matter. Just remember, we are all chemical reactions, and we all follow the laws of physics. But it seems that we have evolved to the point that we are so great and powerful that we can defy the laws of physics. But damn does it feel good to feel like you are in control doesn't it? Let's just continue that visage for now.

wut ?

Sum Yung Guy 2009-05-20 02:33 PM

It says How can we have control of our decisions if we are just particles of matter following the NON-NEGOTIABLE laws of physics? The only way we possible could is if their is a divine being who created us. You're not saying your a creationist now are you?

So if we are particles of matter following the laws of physics why are we constantly evolving and becoming ever more complex? Because every possibility of the universe has to happen in order for existence (reality) to be complete.

WetWired 2009-05-20 08:19 PM

So basicly, you're saying that the only way that we can be in control of our actions is if we have souls, right? An essense that exists outside the laws of physics, but is bound to a particular body and is able to influence it.

D3V 2009-05-22 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWired (Post 672780)
So basicly, you're saying that the only way that we can be in control of our actions is if we have souls, right? An essense that exists outside the laws of physics, but is bound to a particular body and is able to influence it.

That's what I was taking from it as well.