Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   D2 PvP (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Best "classical" duel char? (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32255)

Joka69 2004-08-09 08:38 PM

Best "classical" duel char?

im thinkin V/t i wanna play classic cuz its harder.. but whats the best thing 2 use? cuz no R/Ws.... and all rares

Endurack 2004-08-09 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joka69
im thinkin V/t i wanna play classic cuz its harder.. but whats the best thing 2 use? cuz no R/Ws.... and all rares

A Classix V/T would never, i repeat never work out. Four main reasons here:
1. No Pally only type shields that have insane mods so your smite will suck.
2. Harder to level so balancing out a V/T with low levels doesnt work.
3. No damage reduction to make V/T's stand thier gorund melee like they are capable of doing in 1.08+.
4. Its just not a possible build due to so many item limits, skill limits stat limits and everything.

For Classic make a Zon or a barbarian. I think barbarians are the strongest Classic characters.

Sovereign 2004-08-09 08:47 PM

Ben, you should come on the 1.09 tigs pvp server with some of my friends and I.

timmay1113 2004-08-09 10:15 PM

In 1.09 it had to of been Barb for all around stuff. Zon would be a close 2nd.

sue_13 2004-08-10 02:00 AM

well i would say that i think that a hammer din would work pretty well on classice because of their insane damage and other people would not be able to tank you because only assassin could block you hammers and they do not exist in clasic and zons you probably suck in classic as well due to not having great items.

ExT 2004-08-10 06:05 AM

How will hammerdins do Vs Casters? No tele :(

tidus2005 2004-08-10 04:45 PM

a hammer din should do pretty well i would think because only sorcs can tele in classic and the pally can still use charge or charge and vigor to get a tremendouse speed advantage over other classes in classic.

Medieval Bob 2004-08-10 04:47 PM

Don't forget that hammerdins do a hell of a lot less damage without synergies.

tidus2005 2004-08-10 04:48 PM

umm unless i missed something i thought that there were synergies in classic. but since i dont play i might be wrong.

Medieval Bob 2004-08-10 04:56 PM

Oh hell.... I didn't even think of playing classic right now... I was all thinking like.. before expansion came out.

Vollstrecker 2004-08-11 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExT
How will hammerdins do Vs Casters? No tele :(

Hammerdins don't NEED tele. blckshdwdragon dismantled my V/T without it...

Anyway, in the days BEFORE synergies, Barbs owned the game, no question. They may still...

Zon: I would advise against a bowzon, since there's no jewels/150+ damage bows, you're shooting slow, and you're shooting for shit damage...
Maybe a poison javazon could be decent.

Necro: A necromancer would be hard to use, since you'll lack teleport AND run/walk charms, so even a .09 style necro would be difficult to play, since you won't be able to outrun anything.

Pally: FoH is still powerful, due to Conviction. They don't have 4-socket Monarchs in Classic either. ;)
Charger/Zealot (Crusader?) might be ok, since Charge will let you run down quick chars, but good luck hitting your 4FPA Zeal.
Hammerdin is an ok choice, but your weapon is gonna be Spectral Shard, which lacks the resists of Wizardspike or HOTO. Still, you should be able to counter that with a point or two into each 'Resist-Element'.

Sorc: Fire sorc would be just as useless in Classic, as both Hotspurs and Nokozan Relic exist on Classic. GG'd
Lit sorc lacks a lot of gear choices, but could be ok. I never really looked into making one, so I'm not the best person to ask.
Cold sorc is still the best, due to Cold Mastery.

I would personally make a barb. Make sure you get Death's Sash for the 'Cannot be Frozen' mod, as only that and Hawkmail are the only Classic items with that mod, I believe.

Zuberan 2004-08-11 12:24 PM

I would prolly vote a classic polearm ww barb, godly range; nice dmg, ww speed doesnt matter and barbs of course you can get the best resists/life easiest

dont quote me on this tho; i dont play classic :(

Vollstrecker 2004-08-11 04:20 PM

WW breakpoints are in effect, and no good polearms (unless you get a good rare). Also, a shield is somewhat necessary, since you're going to be lacking a bit of HP without charms...

Granted, other chars won't be dealing near the damage their LoD counterparts can deal, but still, you wanna be the biggest tank you can be.

Endurack 2004-08-11 04:54 PM

Zon would destroy any character you all just listed. The best bet is to use a Lancer or a Zon. In 1.06 i had a zon with 85x life (don't remember exactly) and a little under 1,000 Guided arrow. I used a Carrion Horn (a.k.a Song) Gothic Bow which at the time had 158 maximum damage. I was able to produce 9 FPS and have pretty high resitances. I also was able to have about 48% FHR.

Now for you people forgetting this, AMAZONS HAVE DODGES AND AVOIDS REMEMBERRR? If you go with ur dodges a Hammerdin, FoHer, Melee tpye charatcer, etc. wont hit u very often. Now if your worried about run/walk advantages toss on Cold Damage and watch people slow down very fast cuz remember, there was no Cannot Be Frozen Back then excpet from Deaths set which would really take off some options for your oponent. If your a zon and someone tosses on Deaths set, im sure they are giving up a very nice Belt and Gloves so this weakens your oponent. Just run around doing Zig Zags and using pierce since pierce works in Classic and youll destroy targets very fast.

Vollstrecker 2004-08-12 07:01 AM

My barb owned any zon I came across in 1.05(or was it .04?)...

S/S barb. There really weren't any OUTSTANDING belt choices then, so Death's Belt was really the only way to go.

In any case, zons were pathetic in pre-LoD Classic. Even with their Avoids, they couldn't hit me fast and/or hard enough to keep me off their pasty, white asses before they fell to my 111 Gothic Sword(LOL!). ;)

tidus2005 2004-08-12 09:31 AM

well i still think that hammer dins or bone necros with their high damage magic damage would still be pretty good. because items on classic would not have much physical damage so i think that casters are the way to go.

Endurack 2004-08-12 05:28 PM

As far as I can remember, my zon lost to like maybe 1 or 2 barbs a day if that. In 05 we had a Belt called Storm Clash which was a 63 life belt with 16 str and 12 dex. Later on in 06 Doom Harness came out which was 59 life/4xmana Fire Res 34 Cold Res 2x 19 Str 17 Dex. Giving belts like those up was a huge sacrifice.