Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Zel has been abysmally slow lately (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61507)

Demosthenes 2021-02-14 11:15 PM

Zel has been abysmally slow lately

Why? It's slower than I ever recall it being in its history, and has been that way for a while now.

Silverjinx18 2021-02-16 06:15 PM

Probably because no one is doing mush if any upkeep on it. Since I've been back I haven't seen Crusher or anyone that would be responsible for the maintenance of a webpage...

!King_Amazon! 2021-02-16 11:08 PM

Chruser posts math stuff from time to time. WW nerds out in the chatbox from time to time. Me and Spector and others unfairly harass WW fairly regularly. I'm not sure how much maintenance is required at this point.

Chruser 2021-02-17 10:52 AM

Crusher reporting in.

I have a few websites on the same server as Zelaron with very inconsistent load times. I suspect that the slowdowns are due to PHP compatibility issues that aren't easy to solve without breaking the forum, but perhaps WWU knows better.

Asamin 2021-02-17 11:18 AM

I figured it meant our servers were hosted in Texas. Good to know that's not it.

Demosthenes 2021-02-18 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chruser (Post 714480)
Crusher reporting in.

I have a few websites on the same server as Zelaron with very inconsistent load times. I suspect that the slowdowns are due to PHP compatibility issues that aren't easy to solve without breaking the forum, but perhaps WWU knows better.

Is there any chance that these issues could cause the forum to go down permanently? If so, is there any way to archive it?

Silverjinx18 2021-02-18 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon! (Post 714474)
Chruser posts math stuff from time to time. WW nerds out in the chatbox from time to time. Me and Spector and others unfairly harass WW fairly regularly. I'm not sure how much maintenance is required at this point.

I wasn't meaning for my statement to sound over critical or critical at all. I just meant that there is not enough going on around here for someone to want to put much effort into it.

Asamin 2021-02-19 08:35 AM

WE AS THE COMMUNITY MUST BAND TOGETHER TO.....

Make it active enough?

WetWired 2021-02-19 05:50 PM

From what I can tell, it’s waves of bots. All connection times slow when they flood it. The server is in Texas, and that may have had an effect, though I expect the datacenter has backup power and I know it has redundant connectivity.

Demosthenes 2021-02-19 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWired (Post 714547)
From what I can tell, it’s waves of bots. All connection times slow when they flood it. The server is in Texas, and that may have had an effect, though I expect the datacenter has backup power and I know it has redundant connectivity.

It's been happening for a few months I think now, so I don't think it should have to do anything with the recent power outages in Texas. Sounds like it's basically getting DDosed.

Chruser 2021-02-20 05:28 AM

Bots have been around in similar or periodically greater numbers for years without similar slowdowns, but yes, perhaps their tactics (page refresh rates?) have changed recently.

Asamin 2021-02-21 05:12 PM

Is it captcha time?

WetWired 2021-02-22 11:09 AM

I expect that part of the problem is all of the connection requests hitting the IP banned page. The issue is not CPU load, but processing incoming connections.