Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Opinion and Debate (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=332)
-   -   Are cops out overstepped these days? (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53875)

Demosthenes 2015-03-03 07:28 AM

Are cops out overstepped these days?

In the last few years, several incidents of alleged police brutality have gotten a lot of news coverage. A few instances include the fatal beating of Kelly Thomas, the Eric Garner incident, and the Michael Brown incident. It seems like these sorts of incidents have been getting a lot more press these days. So what do you think? Do you guys think that the police have started overstepping their bounds, or is it something else?

Skurai 2015-03-03 10:10 AM

Also, via 4chan or tumblr, you can find that there's a loooooot of this going on, and it's just not going national. About 10 stories like this a month, it's eye-rubbingly annoying. But is anyone surprised? Police corruption has been in fiction for years, and most cops are just people with complex problems. I'd heard (and don't quote me on this) that police actually have the exact same thought process as thugs.

!King_Amazon! 2015-03-04 12:41 AM

It's probably a combination of increased incidents, over-reporting, and a byproduct of the world we live in where wrongdoing by officers can pretty quickly be illuminated and is often recorded (increased awareness, or something).

Skurai 2015-03-04 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon! (Post 705001)
It's probably a combination of increased incidents, over-reporting, and a byproduct of the world we live in where wrongdoing by officers can pretty quickly be illuminated and is often recorded (increased awareness, or something).

So what you're saying is, they aren't more corrupt. It's just easier for them to get caught, now.

!King_Amazon! 2015-03-04 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skurai (Post 705009)
So what you're saying is, they aren't more corrupt. It's just easier for them to get caught, now.

Something like that, though I'm not necessarily saying they aren't also more corrupt.

Skurai 2015-03-05 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon! (Post 705018)
Something like that, though I'm not necessarily saying they aren't also more corrupt.

I'm sure they are at least a little more corrupt. People give me generation (1992-95) some shit for being spoiled, but I remember the older kids being way fucking worse. Not even in a "ugh, I hate seniors, they're assholes" way, but in a "why is every senior dropping out to become the same kinda guy my drunk dad is?"
Tattoos, motorcycles they can't legally drive, drunk 50% of their conscious time, talking like a sailor, no actual job... 1990 kids were those kids. And now some of them are cops.

Demosthenes 2015-03-09 11:46 AM

I didn't realize how horrifically I fucked up the title to this thread.

D3V 2015-03-09 02:23 PM

I feel like Cops and Soldiers should be held in the same regard - the same breath that criticizes them and praises their actions should remain equal.