Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Help (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Please Help (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40387)

Cornellius 2006-08-25 07:13 AM

Please Help

Hi guys i'm having a computer problem and am hoping you can help me out.
My C drive (program files etc.) seems to have used up an extra 2GB out of nowhere. It keeps telling me that the My Documents folder is 3.71GB big but when i go in and check its size it's only 336 mb big.
Anyway today i decided to defragment the drive. What happened is i got an error message half way through saying it couldn't defragment some file in a folder that doesn't exist.

"Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files."

REPORT:

"Volume (C:)
Volume size = 10.00 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 7.67 GB
Free space = 2.33 GB
Percent free space = 23 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 16 %
File fragmentation = 33 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 29,392
Average file size = 365 KB
Total fragmented files = 2
Total excess fragments = 3,682
Average fragments per file = 1.12

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 768 MB
Total fragments = 2

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 3,039
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 47 MB
MFT record count = 32,525
Percent MFT in use = 66 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
3,682 1.85 GB \Documents and Settings\My Documents\Local Settings\Temp\000004DB"

Could you guys help?

Medieval Bob 2006-08-25 08:03 AM

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Local Settings\Temp, and delete 000004DB? If it won't let you, then delete it in safe mode. Or (*crosses his fingers*), if you're running a pre-XP Windows, restart in DOS mode and delete it there.

Lenny 2006-08-25 08:31 AM

If you go into a folder and just look at the size shown IN the folder, then it only shows the files that aren't in subfolders. Ctrl + A and check the properties should show how big the whole thing is.

-----

He might be running XP - I don't think any other Windows OS has /Documents and Settings/ and all that.

-----

Also, to bring back some space, you could turn off System Restore, then turn it back on -- WARNING: MAKE SURE THE COMPUTER IS COMPLETEY CLEANED OF VIRUSES AND THE LIKE that way if you need to restore back, you'll have a completely clean point to restore to.

To turn them off, then on:

Right click (on desktop) My Computer > Properties > System Restore [tab] then tick the tick-box that say: "Turn off System Restore on all drives" apply it, check the volume of your C: Drive, then go back, untick it, and apply it.

With us it gets rid of about 2gb of un-needed Resore files.

Cornellius 2006-08-25 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medieval Bob
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Local Settings\Temp, and delete 000004DB? If it won't let you, then delete it in safe mode. Or (*crosses his fingers*), if you're running a pre-XP Windows, restart in DOS mode and delete it there.

Yeah but one of the problems is there is no Local Settings folder. I am running windows XP.
I know there are usually hidden folders in your main drive but those files are usually small plus i don't get how after 24hours i can have 3GB less space.
I don't install any programs such as games on my C drive. I'm confused.

EDIT: I'll try what you said Lenny but i'm currently running anti-virus to see what pops up.

Grav 2006-08-25 08:37 AM

Try using the program WinDirStat. It creates a map of your hard drive based on size by color and area.

If you see any stupidly large chunks or masses of tiny files, delete them.