Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   God, Heat, Cold and darkness? (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43980)

D3V 2007-11-27 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanatos
I r likeing to oose big words.

Is it really that necessary? You sometimes make yourself out to be too smart and by the time I'm reading your posts I've totally forgot what you were talking about in the first place. It's hard to follow your train of thought sometimes.

That's basically my point, that and his origional point gets skewed beyond even giving a shit when he breaks down every possible aspect, of everything.

This isn't the first time either, it's basically every argument, it's basically resorting to making an essay, rather than a point.

Grav 2007-11-27 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V
That's basically my point, that and his origional point gets skewed beyond even giving a shit when he breaks down every possible aspect, of everything.

This isn't the first time either, it's basically every argument, it's basically resorting to making an essay, rather than a point.

So you are arguing that your opponent's arguments are too effective to be considered valid arguments?

The workings of your mind are suddenly very clear.

!King_Amazon! 2007-11-27 10:56 AM

It's an interesting read up until the end. Claiming that evil, darkness, etc, is just the absence of God? I don't think so. If anything, evil is the absence of good, darkness is the absence of light, but neither are the absence of God.

And everything we know is based on dualities. If we didn't know evil, how would we be able to know good? If we didn't know hot, we wouldn't know cold. That's pretty basic, and is partially the reason I don't believe that a christian "heaven" is possible.

I wouldn't want to live in a place where there's no evil of any sort, only good, because without having evil, you cannot enjoy good. Without war, we wouldn't enjoy peace so much.

A good example of "bad" really being partially "good" is with nazi death camp prisoners. The people who went through that and survived most likely see EVERYTHING as being good relative to what they went through. As much as it sucked, it's also quite a gift, because now they can go through anything, and enjoy even the simplest things that we take for granted. Imagine how good food looked to them after they went months on less than the body needs to survive. Imagine how great it felt for them to actually sleep in a bed, without having 5 other people crammed in with them and a shoe as a pillow.

I don't mean to make it seem like it's a GOOD thing that they went through what they did, but it does make everything else seem much, much better.

Demosthenes 2007-11-27 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanatos
I r likeing to oose big words.

Is it really that necessary? You sometimes make yourself out to be too smart and by the time I'm reading your posts I've totally forgot what you were talking about in the first place. It's hard to follow your train of thought sometimes.

Well, the syllogism would be the basis to almost all the arguments I make regarding this thread. Perhaps I'll define it first, because it would be too damned tedious without it.

Demosthenes 2007-11-27 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V

So your point is my arguments are too precise to be taken seriously?

Edit: Nevermind, Grav beat me to it.

If you don't like them, quit being a puling bitch and don't read them. If my arguments are filled with so much damned awesomeness that you can't/won't rebuke them, ignore me. But for fucks sake, quit bitching.

D3V 2007-11-27 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjordan2nd
So your point is my arguments are too precise to be taken seriously?

Edit: Nevermind, Grav beat me to it.

If you don't like them, quit being a puling bitch and don't read them. If my arguments are filled with so much damned awesomeness that you can't/won't rebuke them, ignore me. But for fucks sake, quit bitching.

You never fail to stop.

Still, you are arguing about ARGUING itself. And secondly, nobody ever has to believe anything you say, after claiming to be a young black kid, which we all know is false.

Demosthenes 2007-11-27 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V
You never fail to stop.

Still, you are arguing about ARGUING itself. And secondly, nobody ever has to believe anything you say, after claiming to be a young black kid, which we all know is false.

Yea....you're definitely not arguing about arguing...

You do realize that every one of my so-called "arguments about arguing" have been an on-topic reply to one of your posts? Hypocrite.

And that logic in the last sentence is infallible.

Evolution is real! Oop! He says he's black. Evolution is therefore false!

D3V 2007-11-27 12:20 PM

Your attempt to makes a relevant post, fail # 2,104

Demosthenes 2007-11-27 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V

Of course. Relevant points to you only consist of one liners. Adderall might be able to fix that, though.

!King_Amazon! 2007-11-27 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V

This post is D3v Dumbâ„¢

-Spector- 2007-11-27 01:42 PM

So this thread just basically turned into Mj and D3v bitching at each other..

Oh well, I thought it was atleast an interesting read.

Demosthenes 2007-11-27 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spector-
So this thread just basically turned into Mj and D3v bitching at each other..

Oh well, I thought it was atleast an interesting read.

Yea...sorry about that. This is a good thread...didn't mean to contribute to its degeneration. Would be awesome if this sillyness between me and D3V could be deleted...

!King_Amazon! 2007-11-27 02:29 PM

It's too entertaining to get rid of. D3v, like Grav said, is one of those "one tunnel" people.

A better solution would be for me to find a reason to ban D3v.

D3V 2007-11-27 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjordan2nd
Yea...sorry about that. This is a good thread...didn't mean to contribute to its degeneration. Would be awesome if this sillyness between me and D3V could be deleted...

I'll second that, I didn't really mean for it to get out of hand, I would like however, to move it into a debate thread to furter a legitimate discussion.

Demosthenes 2007-12-18 08:09 AM

A little late, but whatever. I'll start at the beginning of where the student begins to ask the professor questions.

At the beginning what we see is the student slips the professor up. But the problem is with linguistics. There were subtle errors in the students line of questioning that a professor of philosophy should have the perspicacity to pick up on. Heat is a quantitative measure of energy. Cold and hot are qualitative descriptors of different levels of heat energy. So do hot and cold exist? They have no physical manifestations, but that's not what we're looking for. They're simply subjective descriptions. The entire argument the student makes lies on the imperfections of the English language in describing the physical world.

The same argument can be extended to the student's light and dark argument, except this time the inherent deception of the English language is even more subtle. The student plays on the double-meaning of the word light. Yes, light and dark are opposites. But light can also be a quantitative measure of energy. The lack of energy is what darkness is, not the lack of the qualitative descriptor 'light.'

Now on to the evolutionary argument. There is a huge difference between 'believing' in the theory of evolution and believing in God. Though you may not have seen the evidence for the theory of evolution with your own eyes, you are accepting that the evidence is there. If you want to be shown the evidence, go to a museum, go to a university, go to a myriad of different places and it's all there for you. While the student may not have seen the evidence, I certainly have. On top of that, the theory of evolution makes sense. It is so damned obvious that I would say that in essence, all the theory of evolution is is four simple observations about the world. The rest is the natural, obvious, extrapolation from these observations.

When believing in God, on the other hand, you are accepting that no evidence for his existence exists, except for subjective revelation. You don't believe in God because people tell you we have the evidence for God, and then describe to you what it is, you believe in him because other people believe in him and they told you to. And that is a terrible reason. Not only that, when specifically talking about the Christian God, you must reject the plethora of evidence piled on against his claims. On top of that, the God hypothesis doesn't even make sense. "He exists outside of space and time." WHAT?!?!?!

"No one has observed the process of evolution at work?" I have. I worked with a grad student last semester as an undergrad assistant. Many people have. That statement is the pinnacle of ignorance.

And once we reach the point where the student is asking whether or not the professor has a brain this whole thing just becomes too ridiculous? The idea that the professor has a brain is pure observation. Every living human has had a brain that we have tested. Over, and over, and over again. The professor, belonging to the set HUMAN, therefore has a brain. It's not faith. It's science. There's a difference. And since the professor could not make an appropriate retort to this, I was forced to conclude he was an idiot, and he got his degree online.

Faith should be better defined here. I wouldn't call ideas based off of empirical data faith. Such as the professor having a brain. The belief in God does not require that sort of a faith. It requires blind faith. So much blind faith if you're a Christian, in fact, that you would need to believe that downtown New York and downtown San Francisco are 30 feet apart. After being in downtown New York. Honestly, that is how off the bible is on the age of the Earth.

Now, I can accept the student's argument that evil is the absence of God. But we already have a word for this without all the metaphysical bullshit. Evil is the absence of goOd. You have to add an extra o. We can't quantitatively measure evil and good, but I suppose here "good" would have to take on dual-meanings as well. To say that evil is the absence of God is just to be presumptuous.

D3V 2007-12-20 09:28 AM

Here's a perfect fucking quote for your MJ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure."

If that doesn't sum it up flawlessly, then I don't know what can.

Demosthenes 2007-12-20 11:29 AM

[I'm not saying that science is all that there is. Of course not. There is the beauty and joy in art, music, and the like. I've never said otherwise.

Grav 2007-12-20 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V
Here's a perfect fucking quote for your MJ.

If that doesn't sum it up flawlessly, then I don't know what is.

Why would you even say this? This is akin to a "you're too smart, so you're stupid" cop out argument. Your finishing statement isn't even correct. Please don't pollute the good threads with your presence.