PDA

View Full Version : C++ Programming

Medieval Bob
2002-09-12, 05:16 PM
I have no experience whatsoever with C++ programming. I got Bloodshed Dev-C++ 4 from download.com, but I don't know if I should be using something else. What do I need to download, or if absolutely necessary, buy, to get started? Also, can anyone direct me to some tutorials for beginners?

Sum Yung Guy
2002-09-12, 05:20 PM
Dunno any tutorials, but I use Visual C++. I can direct this thread to the programming section for you however.

Medieval Bob
2002-09-12, 06:32 PM
Ah sry bout that. Didn't realize there was a programming forum as I've never posted in it. Visual C++ eh? Downloadable?

Canadianxtreme
2002-09-12, 08:58 PM
actualy.. the best thing you should do.. is get Codeworrior..
or visual.. but if you ask me.. and if you want to learn C++.. really well.. than use Codeworrior.. doesnt have as many "Cool" options as visual.. but its a good way to start.. (if you need codeworrior.. ask me)
and seccond about tutorials.. you should honestly go out and buy the C++ Programing guide,... its about 30-60 bucks (depends on where you live) and its over 1000pages thick,.. but its a good reference and it comes in really handy

WetWired
2002-09-13, 07:28 AM
Don't get Codewarrior. Codewarrior sucks. I say this from experiance. Metroworks seems to not understand the Windows interface standards and likes forcing Macism on us. Besides, the majority of tutorials will assume you are using Visual C++. The easiest version to optain is Visual C++.net:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=290050
However, most tutorials will probably expect v6.0. You may even be able to find restricted licence versions of 6.0 for $60 and under at retail stores (subject to local demand for such things :rolleyes: ).

Then, of course, there is e-bay.

In any case, my reccomendation is Visual C++ v6.0, or barring that, Visual C++ .net

Hellmonkeys
2002-09-13, 10:10 PM
If you need Visual C++ IM me. :p

Dhelds
2002-10-04, 11:20 PM
It's True. Code Warriors sucks big time, but what i am wondering is what can i do with VB i mean i quit it because C++ was way better. But someone told me i should learn it...

Chruser
2002-10-05, 12:20 AM
I have a licensed version of VS 6, which works great. Besides, even though I don't have a great load of experience, I would still recommend "Visual C++ 6 For Dummies". It really takes the users from nowhere up to a decent level of programming, and it's always something to fall back on if things go badly.

drx
2002-10-06, 10:53 PM
the best thing to do is to learn turbo c++ (NOT VISUAL)

after you know how to make classes and such THEN learn visual or better yet java
java is very similar to c++ and doesnt require $500 programs..

Demosthenes
2002-10-08, 07:58 PM
there r free c++ compilers...and if ur lookin for a professional one then there always is CompUSA.

Wiccan][V][asta
2002-10-08, 08:12 PM
Soo we've come to a conclusion: Visual C++, and Visual C++ for Dummies... Why not PASCAL? lol j/k

drx
2002-10-18, 06:39 PM
pascal = teaching language
its not intended for actual usage

WetWired
2002-10-21, 06:54 AM
WRONG
I've used pascal for many programs. It is also used in high reliability systems. Many of its features help make programs written in it more reliable (because they prevent coding errors/mispractices).

Dhelds
2002-11-01, 12:15 PM
I use Bloodshed, works fine for me