PDA

View Full Version : Intellect vs. Strength

JohnnyTAE
2002-08-05, 02:34 AM
I was talking about fighting person vs. person, Fighting over the internet is gay...

Raziel
2002-08-05, 02:36 AM
Meh. It's a battle of wits as opposed to a battle of muscle...in some cases.

JohnnyTAE
2002-08-05, 02:46 AM
True but a simple flame cannot fully show anothers wit nor ones strength...

As opposed to the feel of a real fight where it's everything you got in the split of an instant letting a lot of instincts flow and letting rage take over, Trust me every good fighter can be stupid as hell with books, but they think quick and have the knowledge of what it takes to survive (Which I think a lot of intellects do not)

Raziel
2002-08-05, 04:47 PM
I agree with you to a point. Many intellects don't have what it takes to survive in a harsh situation, but some grew up in harsh situations and were not gifted with physical prowess. Being in that position, many must learn to use their wits and not their muscle to survive.

JohnnyTAE
2002-08-05, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Raziel
I agree with you to a point. Many intellects don't have what it takes to survive in a harsh situation, but some grew up in harsh situations and were not gifted with physical prowess. Being in that position, many must learn to use their wits and not their muscle to survive.

Yeah like Bean from enders story ehh?
but what if you were granted both?
many people think being one locks out the other but no in some cases...

The thing I hate the most is privelleged intellects thinking there all high and mighty when they have been pampered there whole life and never really experinced anything at all

Raziel
2002-08-05, 08:01 PM
Awesome Bean analogy, Johnny. And yeah, just because you're an intelligent person doesn't mean you can't be physically capable. Look at Henry Rollins. He's HUGE, VERY intelligent, and has had to live through some tough shit.

By the way, (off the subject a little) but, did you ever read Ender's Shadow? Fucking great book.

JohnnyTAE
2002-08-06, 01:14 AM
*thread split

Now we can continue our discussion :p
Yeah I have actually, Did you know there is a sequel too it I have it around here somewhere I will tell you more when I find the name...

I love how that book goes into the twisting of peoples minds to make them usefull for the "peoples" overall issue
now in there cause Strength wasn't needed but those who possesed a type of strength acceled greatly like beans hard life and enders natural instinct

Raziel
2002-08-06, 02:46 AM
I believe Shadow of the Hegemon was the "sequel". But, I could be wrong.

I've always been more fond of Ender's Shadow as opposed to Ender's Game. I was really fond of Bean's hard childhood and his nasty attitude. Ender was a great character, but his upper-middle class upbringing just seemed a little dull to me.

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"
2002-08-06, 08:35 AM
well it is gay flameing ect... what makes 1 person seem to be winning when a situation like this happenes, i look at the one who starts less shit, if not at all. because the person who over-reacts, is the fool, simply because he knows he cant prove shit or do shit so their is no point... so in most cases id give more respect to the one being flamed

JohnnyTAE
2002-08-06, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Raziel
I believe Shadow of the Hegemon was the "sequel". But, I could be wrong.

I've always been more fond of Ender's Shadow as opposed to Ender's Game. I was really fond of Bean's hard childhood and his nasty attitude. Ender was a great character, but his upper-middle class upbringing just seemed a little dull to me.

Yeah I agree, Bean was even said to have more talent then ender but he was just too late

Originally posted by "CRØNîC-KîLLå"
well it is gay flameing ect... what makes 1 person seem to be winning when a situation like this happenes, i look at the one who starts less shit, if not at all. because the person who over-reacts, is the fool, simply because he knows he cant prove shit or do shit so their is no point... so in most cases id give more respect to the one being flamed

yeah I do the same thing but I tend to lean towards the side that I believe in more (in a case of ethics) but you gotta understand sometimes people need to react harshly due to a bad day or it's just there personality when they really meant something different

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"
2002-08-06, 10:55 AM
true true

Medieval Bob
2002-08-26, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyTAE
Trust me every good fighter can be stupid as hell with books, but they think quick and have the knowledge of what it takes to survive (Which I think a lot of intellects do not)

You have no foundation to base the idea that intellects do not have the instinct "it takes to survive"

JohnnyTAE
2002-08-26, 09:17 PM
LoL I have a big foundation because I am very observant of life and sometimes just notice small things around here that lead me to that conclusion...

There are exceptions though, exceptions for everything so my Idea would be true 75% of the time and I am not just talking about survival in the woods or somewhere in the forest I am also talking about survival in the streets of a city
but if you don't agree please state why...

Medieval Bob
2002-08-27, 05:48 AM
Look at it this way. You are saying that 75% of the time, intellects don't have... up to par instincts. You can have "book-smarts" and "street-smarts" because one has no influence on the other. It's not like your head is a little box and you can only fit so much into it. You might be basing you're opinions on the intellects you know. You can't expect that what you've seen applies to the entire world.

Sirpullido
2002-08-27, 07:37 AM
Look at Yoda,He's 100%wisdom and....

Jamesadin
2002-08-27, 08:33 AM
not every one who has a cane and is smart can all of a sudden start doing flips to defeat the bad guy.

Medieval Bob
2002-08-27, 04:26 PM
Some of us can...