PDA

View Full Version : Robot discovers new scientific knowledge after designing, doing own experiments

Sum Yung Guy
2009-04-05, 12:11 PM
Robot discovers new scientific knowledge after designing, doing own experiments (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5h0l3kwotSH7uWbP8NyBeOhfBMsdg)

U.K. researchers have created a "robot scientist" they believe is the first machine to independently discover new scientific knowledge.

Called Adam, the room-sized computerized robotic system decides what experiments it wants to do and performs all the steps to complete the scientific process.

The researchers at Aberystwyth University in Wales and Cambridge University in England say Adam has discovered new knowledge about the genes of baker's yeast.

Aberystwyth computer science professor Ross King said the research team did experiments to confirm that the robot's findings were both new and correct.

The researchers report in the journal Science that they are working on a second robot - called Eve - to test possible drugs for such killer diseases as malaria.

King said he foresees a time when robot scientists will work side by side in the lab with their human counterparts.

-Spector-
2009-04-05, 01:30 PM
TERMINATOR!!!!

Interesting though... -_^

Wed-G
2009-04-06, 03:28 AM
This isn't the AI Adam that was lovingly named a "chatterbot" is it? I remember finding one you could converse with quite well online though I've forgotten the site and am too lazy to google it. I vaguely remember that it would learn things you taught it.

--EDIT--

After peaking my interests, the "bot" I remembered was actually called Alan, not Adam. www.a-i.com

Sum Yung Guy
2009-04-06, 07:43 AM
This is an actual physical robot, not an internet chatbot