PDA

View Full Version : My state's claim to fame!

KagomJack
2008-07-17, 02:16 PM
Mississippi remains most obese state, CDC reports

By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer Thu Jul 17, 12:36 PM ET

ATLANTA - Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee lead the nation when it comes to obesity, a new government survey reported Thursday.

More than 30 percent of adults in each of the states tipped the scales enough to ensure the South remains the nation's fattest region.

Colorado was the least obese, with about 19 percent fitting that category in a random telephone survey last year by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The 2007 findings are similar to results from the same survey the three previous years. Mississippi has had the highest obesity rate every year since 2004. But Alabama, Tennessee, West Virginia and Louisiana have also clustered near the top of the list, often so close that the difference between their rates and Mississippi's may not be statistically significant.

Why is the South so heavy? The traditional Southern diet — high in fat and fried food — may be part of the answer, said Dr. William Dietz, who heads CDC's nutrition, physical activity and obesity division.

The South also has a large concentration of rural residents and black women — two groups that tend to have higher obesity rates, he said.

Colorado, meanwhile, is a state with a reputation for exercise. It has plentiful biking and hiking trails, and an elevation that causes the body to labor a bit more, Dietz said.

Obesity is based on the body mass index, a calculation using height and weight. A 5-foot, 9-inch adult who weighs 203 pounds would have a BMI of 30, which is considered the threshold for obesity.

CDC officials believe the telephone survey of 350,000 adults offers conservative estimates of obesity rates, because it's based on what respondents said about their height and weight. Men commonly overstate their height and women often lowball their weight, health experts say.

"The heavier you are, the more you underestimate your weight, probably because you don't weigh yourself as often," Dietz said.

Overall, about 26 percent of the respondents were obese, according to the study, published this week in CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

A different CDC survey — a gold-standard project in which researchers actually weigh and measure survey respondents — put the adult obesity rate at 34 percent in 2005 and 2006, the most recent years for which there are data.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080717/ap_on_he_me/med_obesity_states

HandOfHeaven
2008-07-18, 09:14 AM
I hope you don't fall into that category. Obesity means you fail at life and taking care of yourself.

KagomJack
2008-07-18, 09:45 AM
My family thinks I"m too skinny, actually. =o

Willkillforfood
2008-07-18, 10:19 AM
Wtf happened to Cali, KJ? You aren't gonna find as many crackheads on city streets down there asking for bjs.

KagomJack
2008-07-18, 12:32 PM
You need to keep up with the news.

hotdog
2008-07-18, 05:35 PM
I hope you don't fall into that category. Obesity means you fail at life and taking care of yourself.

You need to seriously stop with the posts man...I keep pissing myself because you make me laugh so damn hard :haha:

Although I largely disagree with the CDC and those other nutjobs on what is or isn't obese. I mean seriously I have seen people around 203 lbs. in that same height range of 5'9". That isn't obese. No fucking way in hell.

Besides these are the retards who think being over 180 lbs. is fat and that people should be anorexic. Seriously this guy was being called obese by their standards and this man was buff. It's all a load of BS. They want people to be paper clip thin and only have 20-40 lbs. of muscle on them. Fucking retarded CDC. Neil Diamond needs to shut his fucking pussy hole. He wouldn't last 2 seconds standing against me physically. He wouldn't even be able to start standing against me mentally either. Fucking retard. This is what really will kill Americans. You will all get paper thin and weak and won't even be able to handle taming animals or working fields. You will then all starve to death because no one will be strong enough to farm or hunt.

God damned dumbass health officials are going to make people hate us medical professionals. I swear to god that someday I WILL hire Chuck Norris to kick those assholes and crush their heads in between his thighs. Then we will see who is "healthy" and "obese".

KagomJack
2008-07-18, 08:01 PM
He is right, though. However, the people who have glandular problems are exempt. They have a genuine reason for being the way they are and truly suffer something none should have to.

Wallow
2008-07-20, 07:32 PM
Parents are a big issue with obesity. When their kids are young, many give them sweets and go to fast food places a lot, making their children accustomed to the food. So when their kids grow up, they are already fat because of their parents, and they eat the food their parents taught them was good. So they get more obese, and eventually look like the 300 Ib. people seen throughout America today.

KagomJack
2008-07-20, 07:39 PM
Not even always that. Sometimes parents just don't get their kids to exercise because they feel they can't be arsed to do so.

Wallow
2008-07-21, 06:31 AM
That also, I forgot about that. Good point

hotdog
2008-07-25, 06:40 PM
Both of you are right. However when stating someone who is obese you should say fat instead of giving a number of lbs. Wallow. I see 454 lb. muscle men lol. You should say over fat or obese. Anyways the point is that parents need to either make their kids exercise (possibly do it with them to bond) or if their kid is a gamer type and doesn't like sports because they are boring you should take away his unhealthy and overly fatty foods. The problem isn't that parents don't feel they can be bothered with it but rather that they can't. Most people can't even take charge and keep cool in emergencies how can they possibly do it with their own kids? Parents are also scared shitless that some jackass will call the cops on them just because they won't buy their kid some ice cream. That happened back in Salem when our neighboors starting harrassing some guy because he didn't want his kid having ice cream. It's pretty sad when people think not caving into your kids demands no matter how unhealthy is abuse these days eh?

Wallow
2008-07-28, 03:35 AM
That's weird, my parents accustomed me to eat salads, organic foods, fruit, and all other healthy stuff at a young age. But then again, my mom is an extremely hard worker and to do all that stuff did and sill does require a lot of work. I guess that's another factor, some parents are too lazy to do anything. Isn't it so easy just to go to McDonald's and buy a burger? (I hate their food btw and when forced to eat it will eat a filet o' fish). Isn't it so easy to buy a pre-maked meal and just heat it up in the oven versus peeling and cutting organic vegetables and preparing healthy meat to eat? I state my point.

KagomJack
2008-07-28, 10:10 AM
It is easy. People just don't care and that's a problem. My mom and I cook more than we eat out now (thankfully). Which reminds me, I need to go buy filo pastry!

hotdog
2008-07-28, 12:56 PM
It is easy. People just don't care and that's a problem. My mom and I cook more than we eat out now (thankfully). Which reminds me, I need to go buy filo pastry!

Actually wallow has a good point because one of my teachers said she just gets food that can be made in 15 minutes or less. She said it like she was too lazy and used work as an excuse to claim "I am tired" so as not to have to make a decent meal.

I changed her mind after her son agreed to fight me and lost. Pitifully I might add. By the way do you know that humans need a nutrient only found in mothers milk? I just took this test and it says I only get 2% of the Cholene I need. How fucking long do they want us to feed on our mothers nipples for? That's fucking insane. Supposedly it helps brain functions too.

That being said I really think we should take a look back into the mothers cheese idea. It would create a stable job for women at the very least.