PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting Situation.

Coriander
2008-06-15, 04:51 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding what it is That I want to do with my life. I've always had a passion for gaming, Yet I also have a passion for becoming an Archaeologist. I'm having trouble deciding which route to go in my life. The Archaeologist part would be awesome, yes I know I won't find a Crystal skull or shit, I'll find what Native americans decided to throw away, But still. I would be traveling places, With the right job, and feeding my need for travel.

Yet, were I to go into the Gaming Field, I would feed my need to be creative, original, and Fill my mind with a bunch of coding knowledge. It would be an awesome thrill to see a game I helped design on the rack of Wal-mart or something.

This is meant to be a serious discussion guys, I really do need some advice on this situation. I can't figure out which one interests me more and which one I would enjoy more. The gaming part would be sweet, yet.. I am already getting carpel tunnel, I think. If I put pressure on my wrist and bend it back and forth, it pops and grinds slightly, and it gets sore easily. This will come up in my factory job and they will spot it, and not hire me, since it is really repetitive stuff and would only aggravate it. And this could also become a problem were I to go to college to be a game programmer.

Shining Knights
2008-06-15, 05:49 PM
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

Coriander
2008-06-15, 06:21 PM
The academic archaeologist or college professor is probably more familiar to most people. This person teaches classes on various archaeology topics at a university or college through the school year, and conducts archaeological expeditions during the summer terms. You’ll need a PhD to get this job; these are also relatively rare.

That's the type you are talking about, And that would be a sweet job. Yet, the PhD part would require time, which I have of course.

Description: Faculty member at a university, teaching and/or conducting research.
Alternate Titles: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Adjunct Professor, Instructor, Reader
Duties: Teach between two and five courses a semester to college students, mentor a select number of undergraduates/graduate students, run field schools, conduct archaeological field work during the summers.

KagomJack
2008-06-16, 06:07 AM
It's hard to follow your heart, isn't it? Fact is, you'll have to probably relocate in the long run for the video gaming developer job. There are a good bit of companies in Southern California, but you have to have a way to get in. It's tricky.

As far as archaeology goes, I can't really give you much advice, not a field I've looked into.

Coriander
2008-06-16, 09:24 AM
I've researched Archaeology some, and gaming some. In order for me to get into the Game Developing business I will Have to relocate, to at least Indiana or something. With Archaeology, I'll have to relocate as well, But I'll be traveling a hell of a lot...I dunno at this point.

Thanatos
2008-06-16, 11:08 AM
Indiana blows. I'd advise you to not come here.

Coriander
2008-06-16, 11:14 AM
I'm probably going to go ahead and try to become an Archeologist. I highly doubt that there is an
online school for that. I'll need Field Expierence and some other things as well.. The dream job would be me gettng a PhD in the field, teaching at a college, and travel during the summer/off periods.. That would kick ass.

Vault Dweller
2008-06-16, 12:28 PM
It would be sweet to find a way to combine both. I imagine Nintendo would snap up an archeology game for the Wii or DS in a heartbeat. That's the kind of crazy shit they love.

I mean, for the love of fuck, there's already a John Deere game. An archeology game would be at least 100x cooler than that.

Wait, 100 x 0 = ...

Shit, I need a better point of reference than a John Deere game...

My argument still stands, though.

Vollstrecker
2008-06-17, 12:42 AM
I've had the same problem my entire life, yet I have no solution for you as I'm 25 and still clueless as to what I want to do for a living.

The question is not what I can do, because I can pick up just about anything and do a fine job at it. My quandry is what I can do and not want to drive into a tree every night on the way home.

The most likely professions I've thought of thus far have been teaching and writing. Teaching because I love knowledge and sharing it with others, and writing because of similar reasons but this would give me more latitude in regards to creativity and my fascination with, well, everything.

In your situation, have you started College? If so, I'd recommend trying a class or two along each path before declaring a Major and see which strikes your fancy more.

Coriander
2008-06-17, 10:30 AM
No, Haven't started college yet. See, with Archaeology, I would have to go to a Field School, where they host Digs and things, because no-one will hire someone who has no Expierence in the Field. And that college would really be dedicated to Archaeology, Anthropology, and the sub divisions of those fields.

Vollstrecker
2008-06-17, 03:24 PM
Yeah, no matter what the field is, everyone is only accepting people with experience. Makes you wonder how you're supposed to start out in the field...

Coriander
2008-06-17, 03:46 PM
Yep, This is true, I think a college about a One hour drive away from here has an Archaeology/Anthropology Field program, Not sure though.

Vollstrecker
2008-06-17, 03:49 PM
Yeah.

My favorite is when people tell you "get an internship" when you bitch about the experience thing. I then ask them how you're supposed to go to College, go to work to earn enough money to live, and then go to your unpaid internship to get the needed experience and still have enough time to sleep, much less have a life?

I haven't gotten a response to that question yet.

Coriander
2008-06-17, 03:52 PM
Heh, yeah. And if I was going to go to an Archaeology College, Then I would have to go to a Campus. Going through it online wouldn't be a smart/Efficent way to do it because of the fact I would get sidetracked from my studies. Also, With the field work, and the campus, I couldn't keep a Factory job where I have to work 4-10's or 3-12's. I would have to settle for something that wasn't to taxing So when I got home I could have enough energy to do some studying.

Vault Dweller
2008-06-18, 01:44 AM
The question is not what I can do, because I can pick up just about anything and do a fine job at it. My quandry is what I can do and not want to drive into a tree every night on the way home.

Heard that. I've been pacified by my current job for the past 7 or so years due mainly to my enjoyment of my coworkers. The thought of packing up my skill set and potentially entering a new workplace in which I hate both the work and the people has been somewhat paralyzing. That, and the aforementioned "we want x years of experience" stumbling block. It sucks.

By the way, welcome back, Volls.

KagomJack
2008-06-20, 06:20 AM
That's an interesting point to bring up. That'd be one way he could get both his wants taken care of.