PDA

View Full Version : The only problem I ever have in life.

slaynish
2008-06-14, 01:03 PM
A month before i turned 15 years old i applied at a burger king to get a job locked in by my birthday. I started training before I was 15 and started actually working when I was 15. I worked there for about 2 months, and was then informed of a spot at a Nursing home that i could work at. It was business there, too. I was making bank as a 15 year old, at 7.80 an hour. ALWAYS putting in 28+hours a week. If not more. Sometimes getting around 65 hours every 2 weeks. Anyways, out of my group of friends, I was the most financially set, I had over a thousand dollars that I had earned to my name, and as a 15 year old that was fuckin' balla'. It wasn't easy work, either, working at a nursing home. Its a.. preferred taste. However, I got fired around November. I was lifting, and dropped a 45 pound plate on my foot and it made my foot swollen so I couldn't walk on it. I had to call into work the next morning (I was working every saturday 6 am to 2 pm shifts during school just to get my 250$~a month.) I got along without a job, lots of my friends/people i knew moved during the winter months and their parents paid me to help them move their furniture(i basically did all the work). I probably earned about 300~ ish during the winter and spring months. However, that didn't cut it because my bank account was dwindling down lower and lower than I had ever wanted it.

About 3 weeks ago I got a job at Sears Grand(soon to just be Sears). I had about 60 bucks in my checking account, and -11 in my savings. What the fuck had happened to me? Alcohol mainly, but atleast I was still a kickass rugby and football player(which all 3 went hand in hand). We have direct deposit at sears, so i thought that was tight. We got paid on the 6th, and i had about 100$ worth of training. I was like fuckit, i'm going to go buy some shit. So, I did. Probably spent about 65 dollars worth of things, clothes, etc. Small stuff. A couple days later, I went to my ATM to check my balance on my checking account. -92$ was the balance. I was fuckin' pissed and I still fuckin' am, because that couple days later was yesterday.

Turns out sears never even paid me for my work. So on the 6th, i still had 60 bucks in my account. 3 purchases which were all 3 under 15$ total had charged me upto 93$ i owed.

I'm gonna raise hell at work today. Fuckin' Bastards.

SUMMARY:
I went from plenty of money to no money. What little money I had left, i thought I had more of because sears(my work) told my my check would be in my account on the 6th due to direct deposit. My check never went in, its still not in. So i overdrew my account upto about 100 dollars.

So, i'm upset.

Lenny
2008-06-14, 01:20 PM
Damn, that sucks. :(

I went from plenty of money to no money. What little money I had left, i thought I had more of...

If you're finding that that is always your problem, then I'd seriously think about getting rid of your bit of plastic. Using a card separates you from the money and makes you spend more because you don't actually think about how much you've got left. You're still young (I'm 18 and I've just got my first Debit Card, but the account is for my student loan and won't be in use until October), so what makes you really need a card? My advice would be to pay only in cash - the only thing you use your card for is to get money out of an ATM. Yes, you do lose the simplicity of just walking into a shop, handing them the plastic and walking out, but it means that you'll have a tighter control on your money, and maybe even teach you to handle it better.

Saying that, though, I do fault Sears for not paying you promptly, but you should never trust that something has happened without checking first.

Either way, I hope your financial situation gets better for you.

slaynish
2008-06-14, 02:26 PM
I'm sure it will. I am about to leave for work. The lady that does payroll is like a top manager there, and she swore up and down my money would be in my account on the 6th. So I'm going to show her a copy of my latest statement, and the transactions so far for the month to show her that I have recieved no paycheck.

Dark-Madness
2008-06-14, 08:25 PM
How long ago did you do the direct deposit? I know some companies can take as long as 3 months to get their sh*t together and get the money going in at the right time. In either case she (the finance lady) should be able to cut you a check right there. However I can guarantee they wont help you repair the damages to your bank account. That (although unfortunate) if your fault for not checking prior to spending.

Thus it is known as a budget ;)

slaynish
2008-06-14, 10:05 PM
Its straight now. A friend of mine knows a guy(his older brothers best friend) who is pretty high up on the totem poll at my bank. (bank of america).

He said(Reggie) that he was going to fix it on monday.

Shining Knights
2008-06-15, 08:48 AM
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

KagomJack
2008-06-15, 11:15 AM
I was going to suggest that, but it seems you're on top of this. I'm hounding Toys R Us for my termination check.

Willkillforfood
2008-06-15, 12:35 PM
You need to do internet banking or something, or perhaps stay on top of your checking account. Although it's shitty on your employer for not giving you the cash, you being overdrawn is your own doings. It's a good life lesson.

Wallow
2008-06-16, 12:45 PM
You could always change from direct deposit to getting checks as your paycheck. That way it's easier to ask for your paycheck since it's kind of in person.

slaynish
2008-06-16, 03:29 PM
It's not easier at all, regardless the problem is fixed. Since it was my first overdraw, they said they would have taken it off no matter the circumstances.

However, back to it being easier, the only way that they 'hand out' checks is through the mail. So payday is friday, but I wouldn't see my check til saturday or monday. Whereas, with Direct Deposit i would have my money at 12:01 AM Friday morning. Oh, and the reason I spent all my money is because the day I got a job my mom pretty much cut me off. When I lost my job, she still cut me off. She hadn't given me a single dollar ( except for food(at home) and necessities ) in over a year until finally i was like "I know this is kinda weird.. but can I have 20 bucks?"

For instance, she only bought me clothes for special occasions, fuck football gear or rugby gear or wrestling gear, i had to buy that myself, which does run up a big bill. So I was buying my own shit. That's how you spend a thousand dollars so easily at the age of 15.