PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Study Suggests Violent Games Do NOT Desensitize Players

Vault Dweller
2008-02-27, 11:53 AM
http://gamepolitics.com/2008/02/27/finnish-study-suggests-violent-games-do-not-desensitize-players/

Finally.

D3V
2008-02-27, 11:56 AM
Hah. I'm just so tired of both sides of the arguments. Alcohol has been proven to make people violent/angry/depressed and more people consume alcohol than that of people who are playing video games, so basically let's find something better to worry about.

KagomJack
2008-02-27, 07:00 PM
Tomorrow some kid is gonna shoot up his school and they're going to find all these video games and say otherwise.

Atnas
2008-02-27, 07:06 PM
A comment someone made on the entry...

I played Super Monkey Ball 2 back on the GameCube

Really hard with the puzzles but really good relief once when you solved them…

What other studies lacked before this was that they never tested any of the player responses with DIFFERENT types of games…ONLY just the violent games.

This study is a first and hopefully be something others take heed to.

If other Psychologists are going to try and convince that playing Violent Videogames are going to make gamers kill others, they should try to focus on A WIDER VARIETY OF GAMES>>>>

This is an interesting point. I started choking someone with my controller cord when I was playing Super Monkey Ball.

When playing something like Soul Calibur, I actaully always laugh when I die.

... I don't think I've ever died and expressed anger, only laughter or joy. Killing other players is cool, but it's much cooler to be bested.

Thanatos
2008-02-28, 08:01 AM
Once I'm done playing Saints Row tonight I'm going to take a bat into the inner city and let loose.

D3V
2008-02-28, 08:11 AM
When we used to play Mortal Kombat as younger kids fist fights would break out after so-and-so was cheating.

Vault Dweller
2008-02-29, 02:44 AM
Fist fights broke out whenever so-and-so was cheating in anything. That's what kids do.