PDA

View Full Version : I got a JOB

gruesomeBODY
2007-11-10, 07:44 AM
I was in class yesterday and Bear Sterns, one of the top financial firms in the world, calls me and announces that they want me to work with them. Basically, i have a job for the next 3 years with pay and bonuses. This is nuts

KagomJack
2007-11-10, 11:05 AM
Cool. Do you have to do any kind of training? If so, are they paying you for training or are they asking you to pay for your training?

Tyrannicide
2007-11-10, 11:26 AM
That is awesome man, congrats!

I really don't know what else to say lol...fuck thats sweet.

gruesomeBODY
2007-11-10, 01:06 PM
Cool. Do you have to do any kind of training? If so, are they paying you for training or are they asking you to pay for your training?

The position is in the controllers group of bear sterns. The two year training program is paid and then i get a raise once i get out of the program. It is an elite position and is held in the headquaters in Manhatten. Thank you

Grav
2007-11-10, 01:22 PM
It always depresses me when people who cannot spell get corporate jobs.

gruesomeBODY
2007-11-10, 02:36 PM
It always depresses me when people who cannot spell get corporate jobs.
Thats whats great about the job, no spelling just math. And fuck you Grav

Willkillforfood
2007-11-10, 03:44 PM
What's your job title? I know they hire finance majors in some c0ompanies right out of school for over 100k a year with bonuses.

iceman887
2007-11-10, 05:18 PM
thats awesome, you said it's just math right? like do you know what kind of math or work you specifically have to do? like whats the job description

MightyJoe
2007-11-10, 06:41 PM
Grats on the job, hopefully you'll get to work with people you like and get some decent pay.

HandOfHeaven
2007-11-10, 10:18 PM
Nice job. Get me a Marketing job in 3 1/2 years!

KagomJack
2007-11-11, 12:56 AM
SO they pay for your training? Good.

Willkillforfood
2007-11-11, 01:05 AM
A lot of business places do. I know with accounting internships with a lot of companies you get paid 25 bucks an hour to goto DISNEYLAND.

gruesomeBODY
2007-11-11, 07:01 AM
thats awesome, you said it's just math right? like do you know what kind of math or work you specifically have to do? like whats the job description

i am basically the middleman of the company. Not only do i make the financial statements that get reported to the SEC, i create the ratio and trend analysis for the brokers. After the sale, i keep constant contact with the clients and help them create wealth (hence wealth management). I also report to top manangment and help them decide whether raises and benefits should be added to employees and i help monitor retirement funds. The pay is great and the bonuses they told me about are alot for somebody coming out of college.

Most of the job is math, excel spreedsheets, etc. Very little english and mostly finance accounting. The math is simple add subtract, multiple and divide shit. But using the spreedsheets and having to sign my name to all documents makes it harder

Willkillforfood
2007-11-11, 10:00 AM
That's cool that you got a good job. How many hours a week are you looking at working on average or did you not ask for a ballpark number?

gruesomeBODY
2007-11-11, 11:27 AM
I didnt want to know, so im guessing around 80+ hours a week. Kinda sucks but its what i want to be doing so its not that bad

Grav
2007-11-11, 01:16 PM
How are you at public speaking? You're going to be doing a bit of it if you're reporting to higher-ups.

gruesomeBODY
2007-11-11, 04:53 PM
I am very good at public speaking. i just need help when im writing the speech aspect to the presentation.

Thanatos
2007-11-12, 09:14 AM
Well congratulations man. I hope everything works out for ya.

kyeruu
2007-11-12, 09:49 AM
omg you got a job! lol

Willkillforfood
2007-11-12, 10:05 AM
Yea. Don't be surprised if you work closer to 100 a week. I've talked to some people that did financial work for a big firm and they worked like over 100 hours a week on average. But I'm sure it just depends on the firm.

Grav
2007-11-13, 09:04 AM
Gruesome, FYI:

: bear sterns is alright but still, nothing to laugh at
: he'll be back office
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: back office?
: it's an investment bank, unless you're a trader or analyst, you're their support function
: and just as a general rule, if you have to go through a two year training program first.... that's meh
: i'm not trying to make him look bad, just saying what i figure from the research ive had to do all this time about jobs
: two years training? its like saying "you didn't get a proper education we can't have you doing anything important"

You may want to keep yourself open for other offers, assuming you haven't already signed off on this.

Titusfied
2007-11-13, 02:45 PM
Dude, my girlfriend's brother work there. He's a VP, PM me for details.

Titusfied
2007-11-13, 02:48 PM
Oh, and in response to Grav's post above:

Everyone pretty much has to put in their shit time with any company before they really make an impact, especially directly out of college. What do you expect, him to become an officer right away?

Grav
2007-11-13, 03:28 PM
Nah, just come straight out of Harvard.