PDA

View Full Version : Grandparents?

HandOfHeaven
2007-10-26, 07:07 PM
If you have any, do you keep in touch with them? My grandpas from both sides died when I was like 1, and my grandma from my mom's side died when I was 10. My only living grandparent is my grandma on my dad's side. She is very intelligient. With an English background, she actually received a degree and teaches a weekly American and British Literature Class. And at 76, that's pretty phenomenal. I send her emails once a week to let her know how I'm doing in college, and she lets me know how her apartment complex is going (administration clerk) and how my twin uncles are doing. Get this, she had twins on her birthday. Hah! I feel she spoils and favors me most out of my brothers since we're the oldest grandsons by at least 15 years. Out of the blue this month she sent me a nice green fleece, and said she might send a penny my way soon. I'm surprised, because the way it sounds, she seems to be struggling with funds. I hope to go visit her soon. It's too bad airfare from here to California is a mess, but I'm sure I'll work it out. Do you guys have good relationships with your grandparents? Do you communicate with them often? Do tell!

KagomJack
2007-10-26, 07:19 PM
My grandmothers died before I really remember meeting 'em. Mom's dad had parkinson's and Alzheimer's, so I never got to really talk to him. He died when I was 12. My dad's dad had lost his mind (also had parkinson's and alzheimer's) and would constantly make up really bizarre stories, so talking to him was hard. All my grandparents are dead.

Willkillforfood
2007-10-26, 07:20 PM
All of mine are dead also.

HandOfHeaven
2007-10-26, 07:25 PM
I thought it was uncommon for 3/4 of mine to me dead, but your posts are good rebuttals. Both of my grandparents died of colon cancer, and my grandma had a tumor.

Oh, my dad is actually beating out the stats of his dad. His dad and grandfather died at 54 and 48 respectively of colon cancer, and my dad is currently 56, although he did just have prostate surgery to remove his cancer.

Lenny
2007-10-27, 07:50 AM
And then I pop in and say: "All four of mine are still living". I wonder if I'm the uncommmon one?

We visit my mum's parents every Sunday, because they live relatively locally. My dad's parents, however, are down in Kent (close to London), so we only visit once or twice a year.

gruesomeBODY
2007-10-27, 09:53 AM
No Lenny, all four of mine are alive and well. They are all 85, which is kinda weird and i actually love to hang with them. I love talking about history wiht my grandpas and learning to cook with my grandmas. On average, i see them 2-3 times a month, when not in school.

Grav
2007-10-27, 02:58 PM
I see my grandparents very infrequently, one I see about 3 times a year and the rest live farther away and I see maybe yearly or less.

MightyJoe
2007-10-28, 09:32 AM
My dad's mom lives with us, so I see her a couple times a day. My mom's dad lives about 2 miles away, so I'll see him about once a week or so, the other two are dead.

Thanatos
2007-10-28, 10:00 AM
My father's dad died of lung cancer when I was 12, and my mother's mom died of a brain tumor when I was 10. But, the other 2 are alive and healthy. I really don't see them much, my grandma moved to Florida (like all old people).

I also have a Great-Grandmother who is about to turn 102.

-Spector-
2007-10-29, 01:47 PM
I have 3 grandparents alive...

My dad's mom lives with me
My dad's dad lives in Florida
My mom's dad died before I was born
My mom's mom lives in Florida