PDA

View Full Version : My first game

Chruser
2002-07-07, 02:16 PM
http://hem.passagen.se/chruser99/Mantis.zip - All the RTP files are included, so everyone can play the game.

http://hem.passagen.se/chruser99/MantisNR.zip - No RTP files are included, so you will need to already have RM2K installed in order to play this version (which is obviously a smaller download, too).

NOTE: You have to copy & paste the links into your browser.

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"
2002-07-07, 03:02 PM
im gonna test this game out right now, ill rate it too if you want me to;Þ

Chruser
2002-07-07, 03:03 PM
Yeah, please rate the game.

Medieval Bob
2002-07-07, 03:04 PM
The link doesn't work right now..

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"
2002-07-07, 03:05 PM
yes... the 2nd link does not seem to work, and it is in german i think...can you please fix it, i really want to try your game hehe
edit: both of them dont work;(

edit: hey chruser, can you PLEASE help me out with 1 problem i have in the game so far? this is the problem:

I made the inside of a house. i then made another map, started fresh by right clicking the green folder At the bottom left of the rm2k prog. i configured the door to teleport my hero on a selected position on the 2nd map... *this is the problem* when i was making the 2nd map...i used a different chip set... for some reason... the 1st chipset converted over to the 2nd chipset that i was using... how can i fix this so that i can proporlly make 2 seperate maps, and join them together by teleporting without the chipsets conflicting with eachother?
also can u use multiple chipsets in 1 map?

Chruser
2002-07-07, 03:53 PM
I said copy and paste the link into your browser, and besides, that's Swedish.

Try right-clicking on your map that had its chipsets changed and pick properties. Then select the chipset you want to use. I managed to mess a map up like that once too, but it should be raelly easy to fix.

Also, there is no way to use multiple chipsets in one map.

Strider Fury
2002-07-07, 04:14 PM
lol Taeconis........... why not something like Striconis man?

Chruser
2002-07-07, 04:27 PM
Because Striconis would mean
STupid RIch COward, NItpicking Sucker?

Eek, that was random. Well, just give me some reviews of the game :)

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"
2002-07-07, 05:52 PM
omg i rate this a 9/10 all around... best music, BEST storyline, nice mazes, nice effects(elevator ect..) I WANT TO PLAY MORE SO HURRY UP WITH THE FULL VERSION!

all i have to say is; ADDICTIVE!

*i dont want to be an ass but, i encountered 2 minor problems in the game so far*
#1: stairs in the hospital-choppy... try to make them wider if possible(in order to go down them you have to press right and down switching constantlly)- duno if you can even improve this, i have no idea, just saying...

#2 Subject 422-6 Sector- when you watch the television, the waitress or whatever reply's talking about the soup: "is it to salt?" *miss-spelled*

Other then that their are no other problems... just thought i would let u know so you can correct them...

Strider Fury
2002-07-07, 06:08 PM
I thought that it needed a strong cematic moment at the beginning. Something like laser firing and sercurity guards to stop you and you need to constanly race agains the clock in some situration (ex thinks exploding running though closing gates). You know, a strong intro! The beginning was a little bit to boring and so I thought about some of the stuff which ruined the beginning of the game such as who is he? Whos the girl? Why am I here? What am I doing here? Things that a gamer shouldn't think about while playing a game in any situation. But hey, that was my 10 cents my 2 cent free so better pay up pal! :)

Chruser
2002-07-07, 06:43 PM
http://www.gamingw.net/content.php?id=94&cat=games

Post your reviews there where they do more good :D

I already know about the slow beginning, but if you can get through that part, you'll like the game. I'm sure that no-one would possibly give up on it after they're done with the maze, when things get better :)

Strider Fury
2002-07-07, 06:54 PM
I hope that you are aware of the fact that I voted "yes!' for your game approximately 30 times. Just wanted you to take that as a note. http://www.somethingleet.com/forum/images/smilies/smilebw.gif

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"
2002-07-07, 08:41 PM
heh woops, i accidentally didnt see the rating selection at the bottom...so i left it and it showed up as 1/10...tell the guy to take it off... i allready reposted and said 9/10... SORY lol

Sum Yung Guy
2002-07-07, 08:42 PM
Gaming doesnt get much better then this.
http://sumyungguy.homestead.com/files/cobat.jpg

Medieval Bob
2002-07-07, 08:54 PM
Hrm.. Was a good game. Needs a title screen. Some of the text is bugged. Storyline seems pretty good. Just needs more game.

Strider Fury
2002-07-08, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Sum Yung Guy
Gaming doesnt get much better then this.
http://sumyungguy.homestead.com/files/cobat.jpg

Haha that looks like one of the levels of capture-the-flag in Unreal Tournament. :)

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"
2002-07-08, 09:53 AM
ya but thats very original that chruser made it... must have taken him a while...thats a very good example of how you can make games unique from eachother using the rm2k

RoboticSilence
2002-07-08, 10:39 AM
Goddamn it... I'm not gonna be home for three weeks while I'm in Greece so I won't be able to play it ( my dad refuses to buy a PC, he's a Mac person... )

Strider Fury
2002-07-08, 11:14 AM
http://www.somethingleet.com/forum/images/smilies/hippie.gif

NonGayMan
2002-07-08, 11:31 AM
I got to play all the demos like a few months ago so I already know the beginning lol... I'm gonna try it now.

NonGayMan
2002-07-08, 12:56 PM
9.5/10

I cannot wait until part 2!

Chruser
2002-07-20, 03:59 AM
Here's a review from the ABL author himself:

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, in which case Mantis Reactor is essentially an ode to my own game, A BLURRED LINE. I'm glad - Chruser put more effort into MR than a lot of authors do, and the RM2K scene only gets better with each new author who creates a game.

It's still a little disconcerting, though. Not only does MR use a lot of ABL's resources (no problem there - they're out there to be used; we all know I've only drawn a handful of resources, and most of them were taken from various places online. Of course, my own creation, the monster graphic for the battle droid IS used, so I'll take that as a compliment), but a lot of the themes and ideas show up as well.

Again, not really a big deal - but when you look at the whole combination, MR really does feel like it wants to be a sort of ABL-lite.

I can respect that; I'm proud of the game, and it's nice to see people enjoy it so much. But I'm still compelled to complain, even if it just makes me look like an ass. So, here's a few thoughts:

Out of 13 songs that I heard while playing MR, 9 of them were from ABL. 4 of them were not. The final song that plays as MR finishes is also the final song you hear in ABL's current release. The song that plays right after you start up MR is the very song that plays when you start up ABL. The victory music in MR? Why, there isn't any - just like there was only silence when you finish a battle in ABL. That was a bug and people complained about it in their reviews - but Chruser apparently didn't mind and duplicated the effect for MR.

How does MR end, you might ask? With a black screen and a gunshot. This, of course, is the same way that the current release of ABL ends. Not only is it executed the same way... but MR uses the very same gunshot sound.

The character sprites for the two main characters in MR are the same as those for Talan and Kersh in ABL. Those are RTP sets, so it's not really a big deal. The problem is that Chruser seems to be bending over backwards to use them: the Kersh character set is used for MR's "Girl" - not only is the Kersh set not of a girl, but that RTP set has a girl character that could have been used very easily. Furthermore, Taeconis refers to her as "little girl" - even squinting doesn't make the Kersh set look like a little girl - it's taller than Taeconis! My very own battle droid monster set shows up (complete with matching it to the "Tank" RTP sprite like I did in ABL, despite the fact that the droid looks nothing like the Tank), as well as Shqua's excellent monster sets for the Agency Guards. I guess they're out there to be used... but when you combine them with so many other things ripped directly from ABL, it seems like free-riding.

Other things that seem lifted: "And are you saying that killing 3000 people to save the human race is a crime to humanity?" says one general, preparing to launch a warhead at a certain facility. We get a "I'm not leaving you!" speech courtesy of the Core/Manta sequence at the very beginning of ABL, as well as my very own elevator.

So ABL served not only as a source for most of the resources, but the inspiration for its layout and as the source for its themes. But is it any good?

Well, no. Not really. Lots of it is just sloppy. "Prepare yourselves!" a character says to a single person. The Girl never learns Taeconis's name (he's interrupted before he tells her), and yet a few minutes later she's calling him "Tae" and acting as if he's her best friend in the world. "You are the one who is supposed to know the way out," she says, "So I'll trust you blindly." Well, that's awfully big of her, especially since Taeconis comes across as a complete incompetent: he can't even open the first door they come across, relying instead on the Girl Whose Memory Has Been Erased, Except For The Things She Needs To Know In Order To Advance The Plot. Furthermore, Taeconis's job class at the start of the game is listed as "Assassin." Since he doesn't kill anyone and there's no way for the Girl to consider him an assassin, given his complete inability to do much of anything, one wonders why that's his job class. In fact, at one point the Girl opens a door, and it startles Tae's honed assassin skills so much that he shouts, "You scared me!" Maybe he's an assassin because Talan in ABL was accused of assassination, eh?

More clumsiness: one of the Agent-types, while trying to escape from a facility on the verge of destruction, stops to say, "Wait a minute! I think I dropped my watch!" Ha. Ha. I know that I'm rolling in the aisles. ;)

I'm not even going to mention the obvious Arbiter/Director parallels, because I think I've made my point. No hard feelings, Chruser: I'm glad you liked ABL, and I agree that the ending midi is one of the best ever. But you'll never find one that's better unless you go looking for it. Why take things from already established games when you can instead break new ground? You're creative - I can tell that by the way you implemented MR, and it's certainly more promising than a lot of the "games" that tend to be created. You've got skill, and I know that you have some original ideas in there - so use them.

Lys - flattered, but a little disappointed