PDA

View Full Version : What are you wanting to do as a career?

Willkillforfood
2007-09-24, 09:29 AM
What career goals do us Zelaron board members have? What do you want to do? Are you chasing the almighty dollar or do you want to just do something you enjoy?

I'll start off with me. I'm not entirely convinced but I'm moving towards being an Accountant. I figure starting out the pay isn't -amazing- but there's good exit opportunities from public accounting (I'm hoping to work with one of the big 4 firms) to private industry. I won't make shit compared to Titusfied for quite a long time ...but I guess I just really don't need a lot of money? That's a sin I guess ;).

HandOfHeaven
2007-09-24, 09:42 AM
I was going to go into Accounting but figured I'd get sick of the monotonous work. I wanted to be a Sales Rep. or Marketing Schemer for some big company. Hopefully I can latch on to an apprenticeship, and my minor in advertising will help. I'm an idea man, and it would never get boring. Sure, there is a set process for it, but in general the work is different. Starting salary is > 40,000, but I can't quite remember the figure. It's more if you've had an internship/apprenticeship while in school.

Willkill, Titus only makes that much because of the area he is living in. The standard of living is much higher, and sometimes the wages there are 3 to 4 times as much as they are in my town, and most likely in yours.

My goal is to make it so I don't have to worry about money at all, and just do what I want to. I hope to find a nice girl to settle down with and have a couple of kids. That won't happen for awhile; I want to be financially stable.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-24, 09:52 AM
I was considering marketing but it's a lot more competetive. If I have my GPA > 3.5 or so I've got a pretty good shot at getting in a big 4 firm and making 47k a year or so starting out (which is really good for starting out in my area) + a couple grand signup bonus. Actually, the GPA cutoff is 3.2 I believe (for big 4 firms).

The very big con for accounting is lots of unpaid overtime. Also, potentially (depending on the individual) the travel.

The very big pro is the sheer number of jobs out there. You're most likely going to find employment. One or two promotions later you can be making 70-80k+ and will have opportunities to be controllers or assistant controllers at different corporations. If you make it to an audit manager you could be looking at over 100k a year and if you make it to a partner (which is a 2% chance I think) then you'll be making 200k+.

If you're a people person and don't mind working a lot of hours, it has some good opportunities. It won't make you rich unless you're good enough to make it to partner, but at 28 or so potentially making 70-80k a year isn't too bad.

Although it's insanely rare, there are some partners who made it to being partners of the BIG firms from like 30-32 years of age. Do you know how insanely sweet that would be? Making 200k a year living in a low standard of living area like Cincinnati? That'd be insane.

!King_Amazon!
2007-09-24, 09:55 AM
I was originally planning to major in philosophy which would mean my career would either be a philosophy professor (requires a Ph.D and makes like $45k a year,) or something that is completely unrelated to philosophy but requires a liberal arts degree of some sort.

Pretty much, I was heading down a dumb career path.

Now I'm planning on majoring in Chemical Engineering. The place I work at currently has like 3 job openings for chemical engineers(not that they will be open 4 years from now, but that just shows that there are chemical engineering jobs here.) If I work here, I'll get to work on lots of cutting-edge stuff, like fuel cells, stuff like that.

Oh, and with a bachelors in Chemical Engineering, I'll start off making ~$70k a year. I think the average is $69k starting out. Compared to making $45k with a Ph.D in philosophy...

HandOfHeaven
2007-09-24, 10:00 AM
I'm going to see if they will let me work 60-70 hours a week. I just want to save up for a house, pay off my college shit, put some money in the stock market, and try to make money not an object.

Thanatos
2007-09-24, 10:26 AM
I have two main options I'm considering.

One: I'm already employed in a really large law firm and advancement is pretty easy at this place as I've already been promoted once. They also have this scholarship program if you go to school majoring in law, which I could easily do since I'm going back next semester. I don't have the desire to be a lawyer but I've been debating on whether or not to become a Paralegal. My mom is one and she's basically supporting 3 (now 2) kids on her own. It's decent pay and I've already got the ball in motion. This could be easily achievable.

Two: I really want to become a Psychiatrist or a Therapist. I really like helping people with their problems and hearing them out if they've got issues. Many people have told me that I should look into this field of work after I've given them my advice on certain situations. I'm a people person, I virtually don't know anybody that has a problem with me. No, I'm not bragging, I just generally get along with all types of people. I think this is what I really want to do, I just need to get a move on.

Demosthenes
2007-09-24, 10:27 AM
I'd like to go into Neurology.

gruesomeBODY
2007-09-24, 10:28 AM
Im majoring in Finance with a minor in accounting. I already applied to a couple financial firms and have interviews set up. If i can get at least 2 companies to hire me, i can minipulate my salary anywheres from 50- 100k. I had an internship this summer and made out fairlly well. I made alot of contactsand many want me to leave the big firms in a few years and go into hedge funds, where there is a real large amont of money to be had. If i make it to hedge funds within 3 years, i could be making 6 figures annual with bonus's, etc well into 500k. So yea, if all goes to plan then ill be well off, but knowing how life is a bitch, ill probably be making somewhere close to 55k.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-24, 11:08 AM
55k in New York? Also, I know a lot of people who are wanting to go into investment firms. Investment bankers laugh at accountants who bitch about 80+ hour work weeks a few months out of the year. Be expecting to work -all of the time- but make good bank doing it IF YOU GET A JOB. You'll be going against some VERY qualified people for investment jobs.

What school are you going to? You'll be going against Ivy leaguers and all that bullshit whose daddy's work at the firms > : (.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-24, 11:09 AM
I have two main options I'm considering.

One: I'm already employed in a really large law firm and advancement is pretty easy at this place as I've already been promoted once. They also have this scholarship program if you go to school majoring in law, which I could easily do since I'm going back next semester. I don't have the desire to be a lawyer but I've been debating on whether or not to become a Paralegal. My mom is one and she's basically supporting 3 (now 2) kids on her own. It's decent pay and I've already got the ball in motion. This could be easily achievable.

Two: I really want to become a Psychiatrist or a Therapist. I really like helping people with their problems and hearing them out if they've got issues. Many people have told me that I should look into this field of work after I've given them my advice on certain situations. I'm a people person, I virtually don't know anybody that has a problem with me. No, I'm not bragging, I just generally get along with all types of people. I think this is what I really want to do, I just need to get a move on.

All I can say is I hate APA format. Fuckers ...why can't we all just use MLA? Got to do some new fucking stupid format.

!King_Amazon!
2007-09-24, 11:12 AM
Why get a job that makes a lot of money but requires you to work 16 hours a day? You'll never have time to spend or enjoy your money.

HandOfHeaven
2007-09-24, 11:45 AM
My dad was a missile defense contractor for the Air Force, and by the time he retired he was making 250,000/yr plus a pension for 22+ years of service. I could do that but I hate armed forces.

!King_Amazon!
2007-09-24, 11:53 AM
Fuck killing people.

Thanatos
2007-09-24, 01:18 PM
Fuck if I know..

Xenn
2007-09-24, 01:43 PM
I'm tentatively majoring in pre-med but I don't know how it'll play out. I'm still a youngin.

gruesomeBODY
2007-09-24, 05:59 PM
55k in New York? Also, I know a lot of people who are wanting to go into investment firms. Investment bankers laugh at accountants who bitch about 80+ hour work weeks a few months out of the year. Be expecting to work -all of the time- but make good bank doing it IF YOU GET A JOB. You'll be going against some VERY qualified people for investment jobs.

What school are you going to? You'll be going against Ivy leaguers and all that bullshit whose daddy's work at the firms > : (.

Investment banking is not my field. I know people that do work in that industry and they never get any sleep. My field is more of financial services with specialization in portfolio diversification and research methods.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-24, 06:49 PM
Ah okay. Got any stock tips for me? ;)

gruesomeBODY
2007-09-24, 08:36 PM
Ah okay. Got any stock tips for me? ;)
Yea but you need to pay me a nice sum.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-24, 08:44 PM
Sure, you make me a million and I'd give you 20% ;).

gruesomeBODY
2007-09-24, 10:39 PM
Sure, you make me a million and I'd give you 20% ;).
Thats a deal. When i get my series 7 license, ull be the first call i make

Grav
2007-09-25, 09:13 AM
A Managerial position at an Engineering firm, most likely. Things will be more clear after this year, I suppose.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-25, 02:02 PM
A Managerial position at an Engineering firm, most likely. Things will be more clear after this year, I suppose.

Grav Grav ...you're really short selling yourself. Goto a small third-world country and take it over. That, my friend, is management.

kyeruu
2007-09-25, 03:17 PM
i'm going for computer technitian and photography, always carry 2 cameras with me, digital and 1 use, just in case >.<

Lenny
2007-09-25, 03:58 PM
Computer Games Designer. More of the animation and graphics side than the programming side.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-25, 07:59 PM
For ...Sony or some Sony only company, lenny? =p.

Lenny
2007-09-26, 11:06 AM
Most probably. :p Or on a PS3 team for a multiplatform game.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-28, 10:27 PM
Did you see where Ultima Online's creator is paying $30m to goto space? Poor poor game developer. He lives in a mansion modeled after UO complete with a dungeon ...rofl.

MightyJoe
2007-09-28, 11:27 PM
Eh, I'm looking at hopefully being able to work for my friend as a manager of a few car rental stores. Pay starts off at about 35k a year, but you get a free car, and gas with no insurence, so its got its benifits. Otherwise start off at another marketing firm around here I guess.

Vollstrecker
2007-09-29, 11:45 AM
Computer Games Designer. More of the animation and graphics side than the programming side.

Same, although I am also debating being a Teacher since I sometimes have trouble connecting the whole work being somewhat related to play.

That, and I love to spread knowledge where I can.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-29, 11:51 AM
Yea. Being a teacher is a very noble trade and we could really use more of them. You could literally change thousands of peoples' lives and that would make a noticable change in our country. With that being said ...it doesn't pay enough for me. I hate living paycheck to paycheck.

Vollstrecker
2007-09-29, 11:53 AM
Yea. Being a teacher is a very noble trade and we could really use more of them. You could literally change thousands of peoples' lives and that would make a noticable change in our country. With that being said ...it doesn't pay enough for me. I hate living paycheck to paycheck.

Me too, but I hate getting paid somewhat well but almost wanting to drive into a tree on the way home from work everyday.

It's the only life you get, if you don't enjoy yourself during it, then you've squandered it.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-29, 12:03 PM
Very true my friend. I'm hoping I can find a decent paying career that I enjoy. Accounting may be an avenue to get it.

Raziel
2007-09-29, 11:17 PM
I'm going back to school for a journalism degree. Aiming at a career writing for a videogame magazine or website.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-29, 11:31 PM
Get me into some closed betas and I'll love you. I want in the warhammer one.

KagomJack
2007-09-30, 01:15 PM
Personally I'd love to become an actor, but I'm guessing I'll end up being an English teacher.

Willkillforfood
2007-09-30, 04:32 PM
At least you can still act in community events and if you do well enough there go pro.

Vault Dweller
2007-09-30, 09:45 PM
I'd like to take this Library/Information Science Masters I'm working on and apply it to the entertainment industry (preferably video games or movies) in some manner.
Barring the unforseen pitfall of marriage, I plan to save enough money to eventually fund the production of the greatist zombie movie the world has ever seen...

...I'll probably end up working in a library for the rest of my life. Damn...

KagomJack
2007-09-30, 11:30 PM
Exactly and I could be the school's play director.

kyeruu
2007-10-01, 12:33 PM
why not just be a proffecional hobo, the best can picker in new york!

HandOfHeaven
2007-10-01, 01:28 PM
Don't bring your dream job here. You'll probably end up with that one, too.

kyeruu
2007-10-02, 05:30 PM
lol nah, already studying ina photography shoppe.

Willkillforfood
2007-10-03, 09:54 AM
I have a friend that's wanting to have her own photography studio. It seems like so many people want to do that though ...I don't know, I guess I just don't like having a job with so much competition.

D3V
2007-10-10, 10:35 AM
Well there are TONS of CEOs of companies, but they make millions of dollars on average, so why not?

Recently, actually within the past week i've been reading up more on Web development, and it seems like something I'd be interested in. I'm a mega-noob when it comes to any sort of HTML/programming, but I have somewhat of an extensive basic-knowledge of computers and well, the web, so why not? I'm still in Pre-req state and Nov 1st is sign-up's for the comm college I go to, time to decide which route I want to go is right around the corner.