PDA

View Full Version : Your college major?

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-19, 04:32 PM
What was, is, or will be your intended major? I'm looking into a major in Marketing, with a minor in Advertising.

Grav
2007-08-19, 04:33 PM
Engineering. Right now it's Engineering Science, but probably Mechanical for 3rd/4th/Masters.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-19, 05:01 PM
Philosophy, probably specializing in something like physics.

Willkillforfood
2007-08-19, 06:14 PM
Major in Finance currently. I want to work at a bank and make phat bucks as a vp or president =D.

Hunsy
2007-08-19, 06:26 PM
Electronics Engineering. I will be graduating in November with my Associates. Then, I will go on to get my Bachelors in that, and an Associate in Programming.

Silverjinx18
2007-08-19, 07:18 PM
Piece of advice...don't listen to ppl in high school about how to go about your college career...

My major is Theatre with a minor in Photography and Film. I'm hoping to take some elective classes in Interior Design also.

Demosthenes
2007-08-19, 08:25 PM
I'm currently computer engineering but thinking about switching to math.

Chruser
2007-08-19, 08:53 PM
Industrial design. We don't have any major/minor programme distinguishments here, only core programmes.

gruesomeBODY
2007-08-19, 09:05 PM
Major in finance with minors in economics and accounting. Boring life for me coming soon.

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-19, 09:47 PM
I was thinking of doing Business Accounting with a minor in Economics, but that would take 5 years and I think would get boring. That's why I'm glad I found marketing is great! Good luck, Gruesome. Who knows, maybe I'll meet you in the corporate world later on. (doubt it)

MightyJoe
2007-08-19, 11:17 PM
Double major in Marketing and Management.

gruesomeBODY
2007-08-19, 11:19 PM
I was thinking of doing Business Accounting with a minor in Economics, but that would take 5 years and I think would get boring. That's why I'm glad I found marketing is great! Good luck, Gruesome. Who knows, maybe I'll meet you in the corporate world later on. (doubt it)

Thanks dude. I appreciate it. Good luck with your shit too, it wont be easy.

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-19, 11:22 PM
I'm sure, but I've always been able to plan, organize, and prioritize well. I'm glad I'm done with high school bullshit.

KagomJack
2007-08-20, 12:22 AM
Starting NEXT semester, my major (I will eventually double major upon going to a school that allows it) will be High School English Education.

Willkillforfood
2007-08-20, 09:33 AM
Thanks dude. I appreciate it. Good luck with your shit too, it wont be easy.

Not easy as in boring =P. The curriculum by what I can tell is a hell of a lot easier to get your mind around than engineering courses. I was going to do engineering but I really just didn't enjoy calculus the most. I did really well in there but it's just ...I dunno. I'd much rather type shit in spreadsheets than spend all my time doing related rates or shit like that.

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-20, 09:36 AM
Engineering would be tough. I have a former classmate who is in his 3rd year now, and he says it's complicated calculations up the wazoo!

Thanatos
2007-08-20, 09:56 AM
I went a semester for Business and didn't really find that I liked it all that well.

When I go back, it'll either be sociology or psychology. I'm really interested in how humans act in different situations.

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-20, 09:58 AM
When do you plan on going back? I know quite a few of my friends who want to earn enough money to not have student loans.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-20, 09:59 AM
Sociology is pretty interesting, Nikki is majoring in it and she tells me about her classes and such.

Willkillforfood
2007-08-20, 10:06 AM
You can make some good money off psychology. You need a graduate degree though.

Thanatos
2007-08-20, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure yet. My reasoning for "taking a break" (NOT dropping out) was that I wanted to get out of my parents house and work full-time. Well, I've succeeded in that, now all I have to do is re-apply. Actually now that I think about it, I want to go back next semester. Although, I can't be a full-time student because I'm already working full-time. I'll probably just take a couple classes a week after I get off work. Working a 9-5 sometimes complicates things.

Silverjinx18
2007-08-20, 10:54 AM
Psyc is so much fun! I minored in it for a sem. I think everyone should look into it even if they don't want to major or minor in it. You'll find out a lot about yourself.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-20, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure yet. My reasoning for "taking a break" (NOT dropping out) was that I wanted to get out of my parents house and work full-time. Well, I've succeeded in that, now all I have to do is re-apply. Actually now that I think about it, I want to go back next semester. Although, I can't be a full-time student because I'm already working full-time. I'll probably just take a couple classes a week after I get off work. Working a 9-5 sometimes complicates things.
From what I've figured up, if I go all 3 semesters in a year, taking 3 classes per semester, I can get my associates in 2 years. That's pretty doable working full time, so that's what I'm going to do.

Willkillforfood
2007-08-20, 11:18 AM
If you've been living on your own and paying your own bills for a year then you are classified as independent (you better have receipts). If you have all the receipts to prove your independence then you could very well get your school paid for if you're not making that much money. At least no interest loans and so forth.

I'd really go back asap if I were you, but waiting for yourself to be considered an independent saves you a lot of cash in the short term, but every year you wait you're probably losing 20k+ of potential salary per year. So the smartest thing is probably just to get your year done and get cheap/free schooling and then go out and make big bucks.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-20, 11:19 AM
If you've been living on your own and paying your own bills for a year then you are classified as independent (you better have receipts). If you have all the receipts to prove your independence then you could very well get your school paid for if you're not making that much money. At least no interest loans and so forth.

I'd really go back asap if I were you, but waiting for yourself to be considered an independent saves you a lot of cash in the short term, but every year you wait you're probably losing 20k+ of potential salary per year. So the smartest thing is probably just to get your year done and get cheap/free schooling and then go out and make big bucks.
Factor in as well that tuition costs go up every year and it's pretty smart to just get it over with now.

Grav
2007-08-20, 12:45 PM
For you liberal arts guys: just be sure that you're comfortable becoming a teacher/professor down the line, because that's what happens to most people who get degrees in psychology/sociology (and other social sciences, hell, even physics majors) and stick with the field. I think teaching is great, but just make sure it's something you would like to do.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-20, 12:52 PM
Most philosophy majors end up as doctors or lawyers, but I would like to be a professor myself.

Thanatos
2007-08-20, 02:06 PM
I've been living on my own now for 6 months now, I'd still have to wait a while. You mentioned receipts.. what types? I'm assuming you mean rent..

Tyrannicide
2007-08-20, 02:16 PM
I'm going into my second year working towards a major in Criminology and Criminal Justice with a concentration(minor, but they call it that instead with this program) in Law. I was going to minor in Psych but I didn't actually like Psych or Soc as much as Law. Too each there own but Soc really pissed me off. Mind you, I still have to take courses in Psych and Soc, but its only 1.0 credits per year versus 2.0 credits in law a year.

Its all good, I am going to apply for the RCMP, OPP and HRP come this December. Reason for this is you have to have the "N" off your license within 6months of going off for official training(so mine comes off May 2008, do the math).

Depending on how that goes, I really want to go for Undercover work and or dealing with Crime scenes and shit. I dont wanna do highway patrol or regular shit.

From there, maybe CSIS, of course depending on how I do as an officer and so forth...

Willkillforfood
2007-08-20, 02:45 PM
I've been living on my own now for 6 months now, I'd still have to wait a while. You mentioned receipts.. what types? I'm assuming you mean rent..

I'd contact the college you'd like to attend and tell them your situation/ask them what proof of independence they require before they declare you it. I'm definitely not an expert.

-Spector-
2007-08-21, 02:07 PM
I'm majoring in chemistry, minoring in psychology... I'm thinking i'll go into forensic science eventually though

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-21, 05:23 PM
Be a crime labbie?

Willkillforfood
2007-08-21, 05:30 PM
Be a crime labbie?

No, he's gonna synthesis new drugs probably.

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-21, 05:41 PM
Oh sweet. Send some to me, I'll have a boring deskjob and be a closet stoner.

osmoses-jones
2007-08-21, 06:45 PM
My mojor is game designe 2 year useless multimedia and 2 year kickass game designe.

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-21, 06:53 PM
You going to be designing Diablo 3? It should be in developing stages by the time you finish school in a couple years.

Willkillforfood
2007-08-22, 08:08 AM
I hope to hell he doesn't write the instructors or the scripts for diablo 3 if he does. "Wrts leg s te way to get to cow" =P

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-23, 07:33 PM
Haha, funny.

Jamesadin
2007-08-24, 12:36 AM
What was, is, or will be your intended major?

I'm going into my second year of Film Production.

D3V
2007-08-24, 10:27 AM
I still don't know my major, I'm up for anything though. I am aiming to go into some sort of design after college, just keeping my options open for now until I can make a definate decision

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-24, 03:44 PM
College kicks ass, and it's only the third day.

Silverjinx18
2007-08-24, 07:48 PM
What college is everyone going to?

I'm at UNT Denton after almost going to Cal State Sac and Kent State, I took a sem of Texas Tech (SUX ASS!!) Now I'm in Denton...I like it so far.

Willkillforfood
2007-08-24, 07:50 PM
University of Kentucky, dawg.

Thanatos
2007-08-25, 08:37 AM
I have a friend that goes there.

Vault Dweller
2007-08-29, 02:03 AM
Majored in English Lit. Minored in Psychology.

Working on a Masters Degree in Library/Information Science

gruesomeBODY
2007-08-29, 08:48 AM
Fairfield University in CT. Majoring in Finance, minoring in accounting and economics.