PDA

View Full Version : China bans crude birth control slogans

KagomJack
2007-08-05, 01:36 PM
China bans crude birth control slogans

Sun Aug 5, 5:10 AM ET

BEIJING - China's top family planning agency has cracked down on crude and insensitive slogans used by rural authorities to enforce the country's strict population limits, state media said Sunday.

Slogans such as 'Raise fewer babies but more piggies,' and 'One more baby means one more tomb,' have been forbidden and a list of 190 acceptable slogans issued by the National Population and Family Planning Commission, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

Such slogans are often found painted on roadside buildings in rural areas.

China's 28-year-old family planning policy limits most urban couples to just one child and allows some families in the countryside to have a second child if their first is a girl. Critics say it has led to forced abortions, sterilizations and a dangerously imbalanced sex ratio due to a traditional preference for male heirs, which has prompted countless families to abort female fetuses in hopes of getting boys.

The Chinese government contends that the one-child policy has helped prevent at least 300 million births — about the size of the U.S. population — and aided China's recent, rapid economic development.

Xinhua said slogans such as "Houses toppled, cows confiscated, if abortion demand rejected," threatened to undermine China's efforts to keep the population under control.

Examples of authorized slogans include "Mother earth is too tired to sustain more children" and "Both boys and girls are parents' hearts," it said.

The commission said some slogans left the impression that the government was "simply forcing people to give up having more babies, causing misunderstanding (of) the policy and even tarnishing the image of the government," Xinhua reported.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070805/ap_on_he_me/china_one_child_policy

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-05, 01:52 PM
Sick fucks. More than delighted to hear about this ban.

Vault Dweller
2007-08-05, 06:11 PM
Yeah, the Chinese have taken this too far, but at the same time, overpopulation is a serious problem that nobody really seems to care about. I heard an interview with a Connecticut woman this morning on NPR, and she was talking about how having a large number of kids is a sort of status symbol in wealthier families, and how she bragged to her friends when she became pregnant for the fourth or fifth time. That type of attitude makes me sick. Eventually, no matter how much money anyone has, there won't be resources to support all these people.

Oh, and more bodies = more zombies when Z-Day comes.

timmay1113
2007-08-05, 07:06 PM
I hear Z day comes when Resident Evil Apocalypse comes, because it will be that bad of a movie.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-05, 07:44 PM
Have you guys heard about the Dugger family? They have like 17 kids now, and every single one's name starts with J. They're like, super religious too. They look like quakers.

timmay1113
2007-08-05, 08:09 PM
They look like quakers.

Which could explain why they have that many kids for extra help.

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-05, 08:32 PM
I bet families in Utah have more children due to polygamy.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-05, 09:51 PM
Polygamy is illegal and is greatly looked down upon, even here. There are groups that still do it, but they get in lots of trouble.

However, mormon families STILL have a lot of kids. 5 kids is normal for a typical mormon family here.

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-05, 10:19 PM
Of course it is illegal, doesn't mean it isn't practiced. It's kind of like marijuana... Lucky mormons, two or three chicks at one time...

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-05, 11:04 PM
Not all mormons are poligamists. Poligamy is pretty similar to incest in the frequency it occurs. They are both illegal and they both happen, but they aren't wide spread.

Poligamy is something mormons USED to do, now most mormons don't agree with it. Only the really hardcore fucked up mormons do.

KagomJack
2007-08-05, 11:11 PM
Actually, polygamy is encouraged among FLDS (Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, or, as I like to call them, Super Mormons) as is digging up dead bodies to baptize them.

Regular LDS/Mormons aren't that crazy, but they're still odd (specially with their special underwear).

timmay1113
2007-08-06, 12:01 AM
Special underwear?

KagomJack
2007-08-06, 12:26 AM
Yes. They have special underwear they are not allowed to take off except to shower, go to the bathroom, swim, or have sex. Look it up.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-06, 07:38 AM
You mean chastity belts?

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-06, 09:00 AM
It's actually like wearing long-underwear all the time. It's their holy garment. The garment is worn at all times (with the exceptions Kagom mentioned) by members to constantly remind them of their promises they made to God.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-06, 09:09 AM
Ah, yeah I'd believe that.

I'm in no way defending mormons at all, I hate mormons with a passion, but I hate ignorance as well. Mormons are fucked up, but they aren't all fucked up to the point of doing shit like poligamy and digging people up to baptize them(which is just fucking wrong.)

klo
2007-08-06, 12:15 PM
yea, and their best friends daughters...cool. ew

KagomJack
2007-08-06, 12:52 PM
Like I said, FLDS do that. Regular LDS don't.

!King_Amazon!
2007-08-06, 01:27 PM
I know you understand that Kagom, I don't think HoH does/did.

HandOfHeaven
2007-08-06, 01:50 PM
Yay, way to make assumptions. I do know that only parts of the Mormon belief still practice that. Mormon is just as broad of a term as Catholic or Lutheran. I guess I'll have to be a bit more precise and serious when replying to you.