PDA

View Full Version : Vain and impractical things!

hotdog
2007-07-28, 01:03 PM
Who the hell makes their bed? They will sleep on it and ruin it again in about 14 hours.

Who uses text messaging? You could just as easily call and leave the message in a fraction of the time.

Maybe building a lego fort so you can tear it down two minutes later?

I have noticed many things people do are very worthless and just waste time and energy.

Now can anyone tell me why people would drill such habits into their kids?

Demosthenes
2007-07-28, 01:24 PM
Well, lets extend your reasoning a bit further.

Why do we post on a forum? This is pretty much all frivolous squabbling anyway.

Why do we talk to our friends. Most likely the conversations we have with them will be moot 5 years down the line.

Why do we continue to live. It seems like a complete waste of energy. In the cosmic scheme of things we're expendable.

The simple, and only reasonable explanation I can think of to any of these questions is because we want to. It makes us feel better to enter a clean room. It occupies our mind when we create a Lego fort. Text messaging also serves a variety of purpose. For instance, you may not feel like having a personal conversation. Text-messaging is a lot more impersonal than talking to a friend. We do all of these because we prefer to do so. We decide what we want to do. We assign the purpose in our life. That's all there is to it. Those two basic premises must be set before we can even attempt to derive any rationality behind our actions.

And we pass on these seemingly pointless habits to our kids because we feel that it will help them cope as it did for us. Perhaps it is a flawed logic. But I am certain that that is why we do it.

Lenny
2007-07-28, 05:18 PM
I rarely make my bed, but I much prefer texting over phoning, and I used to have hours of fun with my lego set, just building things up and knocking them down.

I also like to pack a trolley in squares when I'm at the supermarket... just for it all to be unpacked willy-nilly when we get to the till. :p

RoboticSilence
2007-07-28, 05:29 PM
I don't really like texting but I find that the limits force me to be a lot more clever when I write them.

Lenny
2007-07-28, 05:31 PM
Which is why you buy those free text packages which mean that you can send multi-page texts without having to worry about cost or cutting it all down to txtspk to fit it onto one page. :)

HandOfHeaven
2007-07-28, 05:47 PM
Texts come in handy at times. Like when you need something back from your ex but don't want to hear their dumb voice, or see them. Simply tell them to drop your shit off somewhere (preferably not the dump), and fuck off!

RoboticSilence
2007-07-28, 06:18 PM
Which is why you buy those free text packages which mean that you can send multi-page texts without having to worry about cost or cutting it all down to txtspk to fit it onto one page. :)
read again

WetWired
2007-07-28, 06:42 PM
Well, you can text while in class or at work (in certain workplace environments) without drawing attention to yourself like you would if you were talking.

Vault Dweller
2007-07-28, 06:52 PM
Texts come in handy at times. Like when you need something back from your ex but don't want to hear their dumb voice, or see them. Simply tell them to drop your shit off somewhere (preferably not the dump), and fuck off!

Nice ^

I recently joined the texting bandwagon. As most of the posters here have implied, it's much less intrusive than a phone call, and doesn't imply the same sense of urgency, at least as far as I'm concerned. Also, it makes it easier to review a conversation.

I'm anti-bedmaking though.

Legos are the tits.

HandOfHeaven
2007-07-28, 07:43 PM
I don't see the point in making a bed. Sure it keeps dust off of your sheets, but don't you sometimes sweat in your sleep, and even have sex there? That seems a lot worse than a little bit of dust. I simply fold my quilt, scatter the sheet, and leave.

My brothers were big into legos, I was big into breaking them.

Grav
2007-07-28, 08:50 PM
Hey Raziel

gruesomeBODY
2007-07-28, 09:28 PM
I love texting because a) im and idiot, so i dont have to speak to somebody on the spot b) it gives me time to actually think out what i want to say and c) a great way to get a girl on the phone. Texting her and asking if she is busy is alot better then calling cause she could potentially get into trouble (if she is in class for example) When she texting back with an answer you can call right then or tell her you will speak later.

Im anti bed as well, dont see a point in making it.

I wasnt a legos fan, but i was a huge k'nex fan (especially that huge roller coaster.)

Willkillforfood
2007-07-29, 11:16 AM
Texting makes a lot of peoples' phones make noise too =x.

HandOfHeaven
2007-07-29, 01:14 PM
I love my texting ringer. Read My Mind by The Killers.

Lenny
2007-07-29, 03:16 PM
Another vain and impratical thing - when I'm playing cards, I set up my hand in number order, and fan them out at equal distances apart... only to have to redo it when I take a card out or pick a card up.

RoboticSilence
2007-07-29, 04:01 PM
I think that's OCD and it could work against you if someone surveys what card you laid, and where it was.

gruesomeBODY
2007-07-29, 04:48 PM
Texting makes a lot of peoples' phones make noise too =x.

True, but most people make texting a vibration instead of a ring, at least the people i hang out with.

Vault Dweller
2007-07-30, 01:08 AM
Another vain and impratical thing - when I'm playing cards, I set up my hand in number order, and fan them out at equal distances apart... only to have to redo it when I take a card out or pick a card up.

I am guilty of that impracticality as well.

gruesomeBODY
2007-07-30, 01:14 AM
I am guilty of that impracticality as well.
I really dont think its all that bad. By keeping cards together in number order, you can tell if you have pairs or straights. Its more pratical then impractical.

Vault Dweller
2007-07-30, 01:25 AM
In that case, I am guilty of said practicality.

gruesomeBODY
2007-07-30, 08:06 AM
In that case, I am guilty of said practicality.

I'm glad that you see it my way.

Thanatos
2007-07-30, 09:32 AM
True, but most people make texting a vibration instead of a ring, at least the people i hang out with.

That's what I do.

Girls tend to like texting more than talking on the phone, so it's really the only way to communicate with certain chicks nowadays. Texting rocks.

Lenny
2007-07-30, 10:00 AM
Everyone has some form of OCD, whether it's really mild, or to the point where it takes over your life.

Vault Dweller
2007-07-30, 10:20 AM
I keep my personal effects in specific pockets -
keys, phone, mints - left pocket
cash, pens, cigarettes - right pocket
wallet - back right

It helps to keep me sane to know where everything is going to be.

HandOfHeaven
2007-07-30, 03:01 PM
Phone, left pocket. Lighter and bud, right pocket. Wallet, back right. Piece/pinchie, lower right.

Grav
2007-07-31, 10:30 AM
That's not OCD, it's just being organized.

HandOfHeaven
2007-07-31, 10:32 AM
Oh. I didn't even read about OCD. I just thought we were talking about where we put shit in our pockets. So if you're a cop, I don't keep my weed/pipe in those areas!

Lenny
2007-07-31, 11:05 AM
I wonder how much part OCD plays in organisation...

klo
2007-07-31, 12:40 PM
Who the hell makes their bed? They will sleep on it and ruin it again in about 14 hours.

Who uses text messaging? You could just as easily call and leave the message in a fraction of the time.

Maybe building a lego fort so you can tear it down two minutes later?

I have noticed many things people do are very worthless and just waste time and energy.

Now can anyone tell me why people would drill such habits into their kids?

Because It looks nice.
I txt, I can have multiple conversations nobody knows about
Legos are educational and fun
end.