PDA

View Full Version : Huge transformer explosion in Manhattan

Chruser
2007-07-18, 05:57 PM
http://www.zelaron.com/gear/manhattan.jpg

"NEW YORK (CNN) -- A steam pipe burst in midtown Manhattan Wednesday, causing a transformer to explode and prompting hundreds of people to flee the scene, New York officials said.

Steam and mud spewed from underground, and the windows were blown out of a bus. 2 of 3 New York Presbyterian Hospital says three people were transported to the hospital with injuries related to the explosion.

Video from the scene shows steam and mud spewing from underground and a small school bus with its windows and a door blown out.

Jim Margolin in the FBI's New York office said there is no indication there is anything "suspicious" behind the explosion, though the FBI is still collecting information from city agencies and officials.

"A steam explosion on East 41 Street from Third and Lexington Avenue is not terrorist related," said NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne in a statement.

Subway lines near the explosion have been rerouted to bypass the Grand Central terminal stop, according to the Metropolitan Transit Authority. Police said they were reopening Grand Central but rerouting thousands of people trying to reach the terminal around the explosion site.

The New York Fire Department said it received a call reporting an explosion at 5:56 p.m. More than 170 firefighters had been dispatched."

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/07/18/new.york.explosion/index.html

Vollstrecker
2007-07-18, 06:10 PM
We've been having all kinds of pipe problems around here, too. We've had water mains break all week in San Diego, one even flooding half a neighborhood. Considering the bad drought we're in currently, that's BAD.

That's just kinda weird.

D3V
2007-07-19, 12:29 PM
Yeah I read about the story when it FIRST popped up on CNN, they we're freaking out about it, BREAKING NEWS! .. But in all honesty it isn't too big of a story, other than it just freaking people out. I'm sure Al Qaeda will take responsibility for the Transformer blowing up though...

Thanatos
2007-07-19, 01:18 PM
When read the thread title, I thought a transformer, like Optimus Prime or something, blew up in New York. Thought it was a link from The Onion.

Glad to know it wasn't. That'd be creepy.