PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech Shooting

!King_Amazon!
2007-04-16, 11:41 AM
25 Dead, Shooter Killed In Virginia Tech Shooting
At Least 21 Others Injured, Campus Locked Down

(AP) BLACKSBURG, Va. A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, reportedly killing as many as 25 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman was killed but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

Some but not all the dead were students. One student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum.

The name of the gunman was not released. It was not known if he was a student. The weapon, believed to be "high capacity" is with the shooter's body, CBS News reports, adding that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is studying the weapon and the type of ammunition.

Up until Monday, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history took place in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire. He killed 16 people before he was gunned down by police. In the Columbine High bloodbath near Littleton, Colo., in 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

After Monday's shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed. The campus was to reopen Tuesday but classes were canceled.

The university set up a meeting place for families to reunite with their children at the Inn at Virginia Tech. It also made counselors available and planned a convocation for Tuesday at the Cassell Coliseum basketball arena.

After the shootings, students were told to stay inside away from the windows.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

Police said there had been bomb threats on campus over the past two weeks by authorities but said they have not determined a link to the shootings.

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

What the fuck is wrong with people.

Willkillforfood
2007-04-16, 11:45 AM
It was D3v. They wouldn't segregate the classes.

Really a tragedy though. It's so scary how you can never know when something like this will happen and to whom.

Grav
2007-04-16, 12:17 PM
The fact that these events get so much attention makes them even more attractive to those committing the act.

Thanatos
2007-04-16, 12:50 PM
It's up to 31 dead now. =\

Sovereign
2007-04-16, 01:03 PM
Media just makes it worse by bringing so much attentiont o it.

!King_Amazon!
2007-04-16, 02:56 PM
This shit needs to stop.

Willkillforfood
2007-04-16, 03:02 PM
The fact that these events get so much attention makes them even more attractive to those committing the act.

Exactly, my australian friend messaged me and was talking about it. I was like, "Just wait until the copycats do their shootings too."

We had a string of several highschool shootings following ...I can't remember if Columbine was first or the one in paducah, KY.

MightyJoe
2007-04-16, 04:05 PM
Just a sad thing that happened. Who ever the shooter was, needed to find a better way of dealing with things.

Thanatos
2007-04-16, 04:12 PM
It's crazy that the first shooting took place two hours before the second one. Don't you think they would have had the campus on lockdown after the 1st? Doesn't make sense to me.. :(

Vollstrecker
2007-04-16, 04:27 PM
Man, I used to live immediately off campus back when I was D2 Mod. I could literally walk a block and be on VT grounds, and I still have friends going there. Luckily, they're all okay...

Titusfied
2007-04-16, 04:44 PM
Media just makes it worse by bringing so much attentiont o it.

What the fuck? Are you serious? 32 fucking college students were shot to death by some psycho-path. What do you want the media to do, make a blog on their website about it and nothing more? This is the most catastrophic school shooting in US history. This is a disaster, and the story needs to be told.

Willkillforfood
2007-04-16, 05:00 PM
What the fuck? Are you serious? 32 fucking college students were shot to death by some psycho-path. What do you want the media to do, make a blog on their website about it and nothing more? This is the most catastrophic school shooting in US history. This is a disaster, and the story needs to be told.

Double-edged sword. Yea, the nation needs to know. Hopefully the attention doesn't start copy cat crimes though.

Titusfied
2007-04-16, 06:54 PM
History has a way of repeating itself, you can only hope that this will open up people's eye's and make them realize there are other ways...

Sovereign
2007-04-16, 08:47 PM
So what if it's a disaster? I dont want to see live pictures and news reports while they speculate what COULD have happend. I want a notice that such an event occured and then after some FACTS have been found, a nice report on what happened.

Oooh oooh i can't wait till they start interviewing the family members. "HOWS IT FEEL TO HAVE A DEAD KID?!"

(For some reason I was reminded of this http://www.werewolves.org/~two/Rants/2rant-News.mp3 )

!King_Amazon!
2007-04-16, 09:57 PM
So what if it's a disaster? I dont want to see live pictures and news reports while they speculate what COULD have happend. I want a notice that such an event occured and then after some FACTS have been found, a nice report on what happened.

Oooh oooh i can't wait till they start interviewing the family members. "HOWS IT FEEL TO HAVE A DEAD KID?!"

(For some reason I was reminded of this http://www.werewolves.org/~two/Rants/2rant-News.mp3 )
You're an asshat.

Demosthenes
2007-04-16, 10:07 PM
I agree with Sov for the most part.

!King_Amazon!
2007-04-16, 10:18 PM
I agree with Sov for the most part.
Then you're an asshat too.

Demosthenes
2007-04-16, 11:33 PM
Then you're an asshat too.

Haven't quite heard that one before. Not irl, anyway. Ass-"hole" is what I usually get.

WetWired
2007-04-17, 12:28 AM
Well, an asshat is someone who wears their ass for a hat...

kaos
2007-04-17, 12:33 AM
Or a hat the someone wears on their ass?

*Lightbulb*

BRB.

KagomJack
2007-04-17, 12:40 AM
I see too many links to 2's rants. Damn furries.

As for the story: I was shocked because I hadn't heard anything until my boyfriend got home. It's scary shit, it really is.

Grav
2007-04-17, 08:44 AM
"The gunman has been identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23-years-old. He was a
senior and an English major. A 9 mm gun and 22 caliber gun were found and
connected to Seung-Hui. One of the weapons has been identified as one of the
weapons used in the shootings."

Thanatos
2007-04-17, 08:56 AM
Fuckin Mongorians!!!!

Lenny
2007-04-17, 11:05 AM
No matter what the event, some people will try and use it for their own good. Rather sickening, really.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/virginia-tech/breaking-idiot-thompson-blames-va-shooting-on-games-252702.php

Jack Thompson is blaming the shootings on video games.

gruesomeBODY
2007-04-17, 11:10 AM
Terrible, this is why man needs help. Cant deal with life.

Willkillforfood
2007-04-17, 11:51 AM
Execute the Thompson guy in place of the shooter?

klo
2007-04-17, 01:03 PM
I just realized that columbine happened on 420. I saw on some news thing while flipping through the channels with kaneda last night one of the girls that was in the classroom and stayed alive by "playing dead" and she seemed so normal for just seeing 30 people die. And I guess they're looking into why they didn't go on lock-down...lawsuit..............

WetWired
2007-04-17, 01:48 PM
I thought the 30 people were in several different classrooms?

klo
2007-04-17, 02:02 PM
yea, i just realized it was in different rooms. I don't really watch news a lot...but one of the guys I work with is watching youtube videos of it.

Grav
2007-04-17, 02:06 PM
Bleugh, yesterday I overheard a very loud conversation going on between some students about whether the shooter was white or not.

"I heard he was Asian!"

"NO!! There is no way an Asian guy would be a mass-murderer! It HAS TO be a white guy!!"

There was screaming, and throwing, and ... oh dear, the stupidity.

klo
2007-04-17, 02:30 PM
ugh, disgusting. :/

Willkillforfood
2007-04-17, 02:45 PM
A lot of asians were mass murderers during WW2 ...along with whites etc =P.

Vollstrecker
2007-04-17, 04:40 PM
I'd heard what happened was that the guy basically walked into a Dorm, executed his Ex-G/F and another guy (presumably her new B/F). He then shot up the classroom 2 hours later. The Dorm and classroom were halfway across the campus (very large place), the reason the campus was not on lockdown was because it had been classified as a 'Domestic Dispute', they had no idea the guy would go shoot up a classroom randomly.

Granted, shooting is a bit more than a typical 'domestic dispute', the lockdown would have reacted entirely too slowly to capture the guy, nor would logic dictate an entire campus lockdown with the information they had at hand.

gruesomeBODY
2007-04-17, 04:48 PM
I'd heard what happened was that the guy basically walked into a Dorm, executed his Ex-G/F and another guy (presumably her new B/F).

Excatly what happened.

Vollstrecker
2007-04-17, 05:00 PM
Excatly what happened.

Well, Abby was the one telling me, so I left it somewhat vague as it's hearsay evidence, technically.

Willkillforfood
2007-04-17, 05:22 PM
I'm thinking this is the school that had less than 1,000 students. It couldn't have been THAT huge.

Vollstrecker
2007-04-17, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking this is the school that had less than 1,000 students. It couldn't have been THAT huge.
VA Tech is massive. It's a full-fledged, highly respected university, the largest in western Virginia.

http://www.vt.edu/about/

25,000+ students with a 16:1 Student to Faculty ratio. That's a huge school.

Let me quote that page for the lazy:

Founded in 1872 as a land-grant college named Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College, Virginia Tech is now a comprehensive, innovative research university with the largest full-time student population in Virginia. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).

At a glance ...
Located in Blacksburg, Virginia
Eight colleges and graduate school
60 bachelor's degree programs
140 master's and doctoral degree programs
25,000+ full-time students
16:1 student-faculty ratio
Main campus includes more than 100 buildings, 2,600 acres, and an airport
Computing and communications complex for worldwide information access
Ranked 56th in university research in the United States
Has adjacent corporate research center

Titusfied
2007-04-17, 05:32 PM
Excatly what happened.

That's what is presumably being reported, but we can't be sure. I also heard yesterday that he was lining up people along the wall, asking where his girlfriend was, then shooting them execution style. Obviously, if what is being reported today is true, then that doesn't make sense.

Point being, it's all speculation for now, and could change tomorrow. We need more witness stories and accounts being told before we know the full truth.

kaos
2007-04-17, 07:48 PM
I bet his WoW account got stolen :(.

Willkillforfood
2007-04-17, 07:56 PM
VA Tech is massive. It's a full-fledged, highly respected university, the largest in western Virginia.

http://www.vt.edu/about/

25,000+ students with a 16:1 Student to Faculty ratio. That's a huge school.

Let me quote that page for the lazy:

Ah k, someone told me it had 980 students or so. I'm going to a school about that size here soon.

MightyJoe
2007-04-17, 10:02 PM
No Va Tech is pretty big as was already said, new information is apprently he left some letter saying "you" caused this to happen, however from the information that I read, it wasn't really clear as to who exactly he was really mad about.

gruesomeBODY
2007-04-17, 10:34 PM
My bad guys, i saw the information on a site that isnt legit. They arent sure if they were ex bf gf. Im sure more info will be out within the next few days

Grav
2007-04-18, 05:33 AM
Maybe by "you" he meant people on Youtube.

Look what you've done, Time magazine!!

Willkillforfood
2007-04-18, 12:48 PM
What if he turned out to be a Zelaron poster? Would that surprise/scare anyone?

Grav
2007-04-18, 12:54 PM

I agree that the story needs to be told... but only the story of those killed, and not even bring up the murderer.

Let the police handle that.

The media's role should be to sympathize with those killed, not treat them as statistics and glorify the murderer.

Willkillforfood
2007-04-18, 12:59 PM
Grav's right. The message being sent out is, "If you're a depressed kid and you want everyone to talk about you for months and know more about you then they do their own president, then go shoot up an educational establishment."

x_X.

!King_Amazon!
2007-04-18, 01:02 PM
Grav's right. The message being sent out is, "If you're a depressed kid and you want everyone to talk about you for months and know more about you then they do their own president, then go shoot up an educational establishment."

x_X.
There was some headline about over 100something iraqi's dying in some explosion today, but you won't see that on the news 24 hours a day. It's because they are in a warzone and stuff like that is somewhat to be expected.

Regardless, to people who say "people die every day, it's not that big of a deal," I'd love to find out when they die so I can go to their funeral with a sign that says "people die every day, get over it" and see their families reactions.

EDIT: WTF, where did that quote in my post come from? I don't even see where you said that.

Titusfied
2007-04-18, 02:16 PM
I don't think they're trying to glorify the murderer. I think they're trying to educate the masses on possible warning signs from these psychopaths. I mean, if there is a behavioral trend between these murderers, then that should be something everyone needs to be aware of to help prevent it in the future.

Also, if I was a family member of one of these victims, and there was no press coverage, except for sympathy, I'd be pretty pissed, because I would want to know answers. Why did this asshole go crazy, why did he/she kill everyone, how can we prevent this in the future so no one else has to go through what I'm going through right now. There are more positives than you are giving credit to for the publicity.

Thanatos
2007-04-18, 02:50 PM
I don't think they're trying to glorify the murderer. I think they're trying to educate the masses on possible warning signs from these psychopaths. I mean, if there is a behavioral trend between these murderers, then that should be something everyone needs to be aware of to help prevent it in the future

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18175525/?GT1=9246

Willkillforfood
2007-04-18, 03:19 PM
There was some headline about over 100something iraqi's dying in some explosion today, but you won't see that on the news 24 hours a day. It's because they are in a warzone and stuff like that is somewhat to be expected.

Regardless, to people who say "people die every day, it's not that big of a deal," I'd love to find out when they die so I can go to their funeral with a sign that says "people die every day, get over it" and see their families reactions.

EDIT: WTF, where did that quote in my post come from? I don't even see where you said that.

I have no problem with a horrible thing like this being covered ...but it's not just this. The media capitalizes on it and milks it for all it's worth.

Not only is the tragedy covered. Of course, anti-gun people have to get their 15 minutes to say "I told you so! Guns should be outlawed ...see what happens?" What if he just blew up the fucking building? That would have been even worse and it's very possible.

What happened is sad, but do we really have to wallow in it for months like will inevitably happen? I mean, I know politicians and anti-gun lobbyists need shit like this to help boost their support but damn.

And I mean, with all this attention ...EVERYONE is talking about this and will be for a while. There are so many disturbed people out there that lack attention. They're scornful to everyone for ignoring them. What better way to get what they want ...they too could be talked about for days, weeks, or even months on air by some of the most recognizable people in the country.

klo
2007-04-18, 03:28 PM
exactly.

Dar_Win
2007-04-18, 05:46 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,2060681,00.html

Just found this on Google News. He's been in a mental hospital.

Titusfied
2007-04-18, 05:51 PM
He was disturbed beyond comprehension. Just check out his fucking video he mailed between shootings... It's sad really. He's dimented.

gruesomeBODY
2007-04-18, 06:41 PM
Did anybody see the package that he sent to NBC. Its filled with so much messed up shit. So sad.....

Titusfied
2007-04-19, 05:53 AM
Yep, he's a whacko for sure. A coworker at my office had his son shot in the face. It shattered into 5 pieces, and he's in critical but stable condition. Right now, he's in a drug induced coma until next week to allow for healing to take place without a hitch. I think he'll be alright, but he'll have some hearing problems, etc.

gruesomeBODY
2007-04-19, 06:30 AM
Yep, he's a whacko for sure. A coworker at my office had his son shot in the face. It shattered into 5 pieces, and he's in critical but stable condition. Right now, he's in a drug induced coma until next week to allow for healing to take place without a hitch. I think he'll be alright, but he'll have some hearing problems, etc.
Damn, that really blows. I hope he is ok

Asamin
2007-04-19, 02:27 PM
The strangest part is that the aniversity of the colombine is this week. maby the shooters timing had to do with that.
But the news really should tell the tale once and then update from then on. I was in the car with my dad and he was listening to NPR. I swear that within the 30 min. period i was in that car they mentioned the shoting ten times. That is just rubbing the fact that be don't have good security in our face and gets annoying.

Grav
2007-04-19, 03:32 PM
That's terrible. The FACE.

klo
2007-04-19, 03:35 PM
I think it is encouraging other people who think the world and their classmates ruined their lives to do a similar act. Today I saw on nbc online some of the shit that he sent to them and he was basically trying to "prove his point" and when someone else who has issues and feels like that sees it I think they'll be encouraged.

Didn't i say that, columbine was on 420, friday...

MightyJoe
2007-04-19, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear about that. This guy was clearly fucked up though.

gruesomeBODY
2007-04-19, 04:45 PM
The strangest part is that the aniversity of the colombine is this week. maby the shooters timing had to do with that.
But the news really should tell the tale once and then update from then on. I was in the car with my dad and he was listening to NPR. I swear that within the 30 min. period i was in that car they mentioned the shoting ten times. That is just rubbing the fact that be don't have good security in our face and gets annoying.

The kid said that he was jesus first off, and secondly he said the kids of colombine were martyers (sp). Thats how fucked up he was.

Mantralord
2007-04-21, 06:05 PM
most of the people shot were going to be civil engineers, so i think it's actually a good thing

KagomJack
2007-04-22, 11:54 PM
THat's so fucked up, man. I'm so sorry that happened. My condolences to your co-worker.

Also, I have actually seen someone try to politicize this even by saying Liberalism lead to the shooting. How fucked up do people have to be to try and bring politics into a tragic event like this? It's as goddamn cuntworthy as Thompson blaming video games. It sickens me to the core.

Lenny
2007-04-23, 10:50 AM
I read a report the other day, about this, that said that the killer read HP Lovecraft novels (early 1900s, English gentleman, horror novels about Great Cthulu), which drove him to kill.

KagomJack
2007-04-23, 11:39 AM
It's still pathetic. They're finding scapegoats rather than trying to actually maybe face up to the fact that the person just went batshit insane from being picked on.

Willkillforfood
2007-04-23, 11:40 AM
Lenny ...put down those books ;_;.

Vollstrecker
2007-04-23, 04:44 PM
I read a report the other day, about this, that said that the killer read HP Lovecraft novels (early 1900s, English gentleman, horror novels about Great Cthulu), which drove him to kill.

Great books I have yet to read. :(

Asamin
2007-04-25, 03:34 PM
Today, neer my school, there was a boming attempt. Our school was said to be within a safe distance from the bomb incase it exploded before the police could move it. What is with people these days?

KagomJack
2007-04-25, 03:38 PM
It's easier to kill people rather than face your own problems.

Vollstrecker
2007-04-25, 04:17 PM
It's easier to kill people rather than face your own problems.

Pretty much. I blame emo bands.

KagomJack
2007-04-25, 05:30 PM
I blame the people themselves.

Vollstrecker
2007-04-25, 05:43 PM
Let me go edit my post...

KagomJack
2007-04-25, 05:57 PM
I know you were being sarcastic. :P

Vollstrecker
2007-04-25, 07:32 PM
I'm sure that Emo is still partially to blame.