PDA

View Full Version : Harvard Scientists to Clone Human Embryos

Chruser
2006-06-07, 06:20 AM
Harvard University scientists claim they will soon start trying to clone human embryos to create stem cells. Even with the history of controversy and fraud researchers hope they can one day use the newly created stem cells to aid in battle against many diseases. From the article: 'The privately funded work is aimed at devising treatments for such ailments as diabetes, Lou Gehrig's disease, sickle-cell anemia and leukemia. Harvard is only the second American university to announce its venture into the challenging, politically charged research field.'

Source: http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/07/0413245&from=rss

Not a source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121765

Lenny
2006-06-07, 09:47 AM
Finally, someone is doing something.

I don't know about everyone else's views, but I say that this is a good thing. Hopefully they can accomplish what they set out to do.

Willkillforfood
2006-06-07, 12:05 PM
Yea ...as much fatty foods as us Americans eat ...we need this technology and soon! :D

Dar_Win
2006-06-07, 02:27 PM
Want some low fat stem cells?

Atnas
2006-06-07, 03:54 PM
As long as they clone them, then kill the clones, stead of just killing the originals.

Chruser
2006-06-07, 03:58 PM
As long as they clone them, then kill the clones, stead of just killing the originals.

How will you tell the difference?

Lenny
2006-06-07, 04:12 PM
You can clone physical appearance, but not everything else.

Just ask them both a really personal question like... "Which jam do you prefer? Raspberry, or Raspberry Seedless?"

Then, like in all the films, the clone will say the wrong answer, get shot, whimper about "How did you know?!" and be told only such and such knows that him over there prefers this Jam to that.

Simple, really.

EDIT: Or there's the Monty Python 'Bridge of Death' approach.

-----

We may be able to clone animals (Dolly the Sheep), but methinks we can't really clone humans yet... well, we can, but not without all the super-aging, and arthritis and all that.

Willkillforfood
2006-06-08, 12:36 AM
Clones can be physicaly exact but the environment which they grow up in helps shape the individual :o.

~JESUS~
2006-06-11, 08:04 PM
call me when they create life from non living material...