PDA

View Full Version : A head-scratcher, indeed.

Jessifer
2006-05-28, 09:49 PM
When I first started working at Meijer I told myself I'd never want to work at the Service Desk because of the shit they put up with from the customers.

Well, I start Service Desk training on Wednesday. Reason being Ron told me they need more people who can work the Service Desk and he and my other bosses think I have the right personality type for the position, and I'm feel I'm ready to handle it. Little birdy Brittany at the Service Desk told me, however, that they're also considering "promoting" me to a Service Coordinator position.

At first I told myself, and everyone around me, that I'd never be interested in being a SC, but now I'm not so sure. It seems like a lot of responsibility IMO...responsibility that I'm not sure I'm ready for. I've been told that it's really not worth the pay-raise on the days that I'm a SC, which isn't really much of a raise to begin with. But it's rather flattering that they think I'm a good choice for it. I get a lot of compliments on my good attitude from my superiors...granted, it's usually Katrina...and she has a similarly "bubbly" exterior as I do, though I'm not as...extravagant as she. If she ever tried I'm sure she could pop an ear-drum or ten when she announces things over the intercom. She's that loud.

They think I'm ready...but I'm not sure I'm ready to handle it. It does interest me, however. Sometimes it looks kinda fun...and other times it looks like it's hell.

I'm rather unsure of what to do now...Any thoughts?

Sovereign
2006-05-28, 11:04 PM
Get a job elsewhere -.-.

When I worked at an officemax with customer service, I did my best to stay away from that fucking desk. It's where all the people would come up and bitch about something they bought, or cry about why we couldn't accept a product back that was purchased a year ago (it actually happened... her excuse was "WELL I STILL HAVE THE RECIEPT"). Try to avoid it if you can and work on the logistics team as well (or your equiv....)

Acer
2006-05-28, 11:44 PM
I just got a 75cent raise, 3times higher than any other employee... and lots of Super Visor positions will be open soon... yea, its in the bag

Hades-Knight
2006-05-28, 11:44 PM
By bubbly you mean fat, right?

Lenny
2006-05-29, 03:42 AM
If it's a lot of extra stress, for a measly pay rise (say you only get an extra $10 a week), then SC isn't worth it. If the money justifies the work, then go for it.

-----

As for Customer services - you poor thing! See if your company will allow you to hang a Shotgun up behind the counter, and idly play with an empty cartridge if a customer gets annoying. You could even put in a few fake bloodstains for good measure.

Nah, customer services could be fun sometimes. You get to shout at people for a reason. :)

Good luck with it!

Kaneda
2006-05-29, 01:28 PM
I say any opportunity a women can get without having to get on her knees is worth taking.

By bubbly you mean fat, right?
lo9l

khwiii
2006-05-29, 02:46 PM
Jess,

If you are looking for opinions, here is mine. If you think you want to make your job into a career, then you have to accept the position. The BS may be more, and it may not be worth it, but you are making yourself more valuable. Basically that should be your goal is to valuable to the company. I have become the rock my company leans on, hence the reason I got a 3 dollar an hour raise this year. Following the 2 dollar an hour raise I got last year. I could get more if I pressed, as they woul dbe f'd if I left, but I'm content for now.

BTW... the more valuable you are, the more BS you have to deal with. That's regardless of where you go and what you do.

Good Luck!

Jessifer
2006-05-29, 07:59 PM
Tch, I'm definitely not going to turn this job into a career. I enjoy interacting with different people and learning new skills, but I've been screwed over a few times when it comes to how much I'm being paid. I've been there for a bloody year and a half and I'm making as much as all of the new cashiers. I get a raise every 1000 hours worked, but every time they bump my pay up to the new starting wage they reset my hours worked. I haven't actually had an actual raise, only a wage adjustment. Something more along my lines career-wise is Massage Therapy. Something in demand, flexible hours, great pay...

And HK, shame on you. You're becoming predictable.

Willkillforfood
2006-05-29, 08:17 PM
Do you give a special finish to your massages? ;)

Grav
2006-05-29, 09:01 PM
You mean tanning lotion? That shit is garbage.

Jessifer
2006-05-29, 09:04 PM
...No. For you least of all.

1dumMan
2006-06-08, 11:34 AM
...No. For you least of all.
how bout me a special finish? hey jess where u at isnt meijer in like a 5 state area? im in michigan

Willkillforfood
2006-06-08, 12:14 PM
Dum wants a free massage with special "explosive" finish ;)

Jessifer
2006-06-09, 09:31 AM
Correction: For you least of all. But yeah, I live in Michigan.