PDA

View Full Version : The Big Update

Raziel
2006-02-18, 04:34 PM
So, big changes have occurred in my life since the last time I informed everyone of the last set of big changes several months back. Last you knew, I had moved to Layton, Utah to start singing for the metal band Coldworm, and had moved in with my guitarist, Dan. I was also working as a training apprentice electrician. Lot of changes since then.

All of these changes stem from one pretty big event however, so I must start there. Dan and his wife of seven years are now divorced. The explanation is a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

After moving into Dan's home, I tried as best as I could to quickly integrate myself into the household, so as not to upset anyone or make anybody uncomfortable with my presence. I knew that Dan was already cool with me living there, but I also knew that my presence made Liz a bit uncomfortable, and I knew that their kids were a bit scared by me, not knowing who I was and all. So, I did my best to make my presence painless and advantageous to everyone. I helped out around the house every day, helped Liz with the kids, helped Dan with various chores, got a job and offered to start paying rent and help pay for groceries to which Dan said it was unnecessary. Everything was going smooth...for about a month.

For the first month I was there, their household seemed like a perfectly normal home, no fighting, no arguing no chaos. Then, after a few weeks, apparently Dan lost his ability, or desire, to keep himself under control in my presence any longer and I got to see what an abusive hunk of shit he really is. To keep it short and sweet, I've never met a more selfish, destructive, careless, irresponsible person in my entire life. It was a shock to learn this as well, because I never would have guessed it without seeing it for myself. I've listened to the horrible things he would say and do to his wife and children, all in the name of making him feel better about himself. I've heard him throw Liz into walls, heard him verbally destroy her on a near-constant basis, watched him man-handle his kids and I've seen him admit to these acts with pride in his voice. There was one particular night, he and Liz started arguing in their bedroom. He became so enraged that he hrew her into a wall, screamed obscenities two inches away from her, and then spit directly into her face. She confronted him about this in front of me, the next day, and not only did he admit to it, but laughed about it.

During this time, Liz and I were becoming better and better friends. We'd hang out, talk regularly, and through this I learned about all the stuff he was doing that I wasn't seeing. It was through befriending her that I learned how dangerously close she had been to just flat-out divorcing him for the last several years, and that the only thing keeping her tied to him was financial stability. I came to find myself in a very dangerous situation. Let's say that one of these days, Dan finally went one step too far and she just decided to leave him, no questions. Dan, being the narcississtic psychopath that he is, would of course not blame himself for her departure, nor his children, nor his family or other friends. He would go for the easiest possible scapegoat. The only major new element to be introduced into his world: me.

So, what did I do? I made excuses for him. I defended that arrogant prick. For four months, I tried my absolute damnedest to help her figure out a way to continue to be happy in her marriage, without compromising her safety or self-worth. However, every time I went and found an answer, Dan would intentionally or unintentionally find a way to screw it up. Every time I managed to do him a favor in regard to his wife's feelings towards him, he'd go and ruin it. I started taking Liz to 12-step meetings, he forbid me to do so. I sat up with Liz at night and talked to her about the situation, and he gave her a curfew. I finally came to realize that what Dan wanted was not a happy household. Just a subservient one. He didn't give a rat's ass whether the people around him were happy or not, just so long as they followed orders.

I kept this horrible balancing act up for four months, and then it finally all came unraveled. The big fight hit. Only this time, Dan threw a lit cigarette at her neck, burning her, and then twisted her arm up behind her back and shattered the plate of food Liz was making for dinner. In front of their kids. Liz left. Said she was done and walked out the door with her children. At that point, I found myself in a terrifyingly quiet house. I went upstairs to see what had happened, and decided to help out and clean up the plate of food off the floor. I then turned around to see Dan sitting on the couch, beer in hand, with onbe of the most murderously angry looks I've ever seen on a person. I did the only thing I could do and sat down to try and talk to him. We talked for four hours about the state of their relationship, and I told him that he'd fucked up bad. I did what I could to help him, telling him that he needed to be in 12-step, anger management and personal therapy. He was compliant that night, and I went to bed re-assured that maybe he now understood that this was all his own damned fault and that he'd start making honest-to-God changes in his life.

The next day, Dan came down and talked to me and basically told me that while trying to sleep, he had come to the conclusion that I had given him bad advice. Intentionally bad advice. He accused me of trying to sabotage his marriage, and told me he wanted me out by the end of the week.

I started looking for a new place, and quickly found one. During the following week, however, things only got worse. Dan commanded Liz and I to end our friendship, if I had any desire to remain in his band, and I refused. I told him that I was a grown man and had the right to befriend anyone I choose. He saw otherwise and kicked me out of the band. I moved out, Liz made her final decision and divorced him.

I've been living on my own since September, Dan and Liz have been divorced since October. Liz and I are still friends, but everybody else is in Dan's court over this affair. The rest of the band, and all of his buddies side with him simply because they've known him longer, which is to be expected. I've found a new job, temporary as it may be, and I'm in a new band. I've made new friends, and quite honestly, I could care less what those other people think of me at this point.

Liz and I are starting to find ourselves drifting into a relationship, which is admittedly a little strange, but not to be unexpected. Dan has done nothing to learn from his mistakes, and has already been arrested once for assault against Liz, and has been officially warned for harassment against me.

Shitty situation, but you make the most out of what you've got. I did the best I could given the circumstances.

So, that's about the whole of it. Thanks for letting me spew.

Grav
2006-02-18, 04:48 PM
Jesus ass fuck cantelope rape. Your life is a soap opera. With more domestic abuse and spousal wall-slamming. At least you, her and the kids got out of there.

gruesomeBODY
2006-02-18, 05:00 PM
yea happy to hear that you got out of there. Good luck with everything and keep us informed. Im sure all of us would help u out in anyway we could.

Raziel
2006-02-18, 05:15 PM
Thanks, guys. And yeah, you're right Grav, it never seems to calm down. At least now the most exciting part of my life is the $4000 debt I owe on my credit card. That's what having a job that barely pays the rent will do for you.

HandOfHeaven
2006-02-18, 05:52 PM
Where are your currently employed?

Demosthenes
2006-02-18, 06:38 PM
Shitty deal, but nice to have you back. In the other thread you mentioned you had a new girlfriend...is this Liz?

Jessifer
2006-02-18, 07:28 PM
...Shit. How are the kids?

!King_Amazon!
2006-02-18, 08:15 PM
Well it's good to have you back, that's some pretty crazy shit that happened with you. Don't feel so bad about defending him even though you knew it was wrong, you could have seriously endangered yourself if you hadn't. Will you be sticking around now?

sciencekid
2006-02-19, 12:05 AM
Dan needs to be clubbed in the nuts, nuts reattached and clubbed in the nuts again. then he needs to be beat to a pulp, but just enough that he can feel what's happening to him, put on life support and fed intraveiniously(sp check) some chemical that sets his body on fire, keeps him alive, and paralyzes him. then someone should stab him in the heart.... twice........ ok im done.

Lenny
2006-02-19, 01:28 PM
Wow. Sounds like you've had a bad few months or so. Dan sounds like bad news too, shame he turned out like he did.

Glad to have you back with us. :) And I wish you well for the next few months. Hopefully all will go better than it has been doing.

Titusfied
2006-02-19, 02:46 PM
Shitty deal, but nice to have you back. In the other thread you mentioned you had a new girlfriend...is this Liz?

That exactly what I was wondering..

That's a pretty crazy story Raz, I'm just glad you are out of that drama and on to bigger and better things. Stick around and post more often buddy! Your posts are missed.

Jamesadin
2006-02-19, 03:38 PM
I don't have much more to say, other than that I am glad you are out of that situation. It must have been hard, but things should start getting better... I am sure they already have.
Good to hear from you again, stick around!

Raziel
2006-02-20, 11:15 AM
Where are your currently employed?

Working a graveyard at Target for the time being. Looking for employment elsewhere.

Yes, although not exclusively. Mutual decision.

...Shit. How are the kids?

Fine, actually. They've adjusted to the massive changes in their lives much more easily than I did when my parents divorced.

Will you be sticking around now?

My activity isn't going to skyrocket or anything, but I'll be here a lot more regularly.

Dan needs to be clubbed in the nuts...

And then some.

Again, thanks for the kind words, everyone. I appreciate it immensely.

Demosthenes
2006-02-20, 01:56 PM
One more thing I was wondering -- none of this explains your sudden disappearence from Zelaron. One day you were posting regularly, then poof, you were gone. If you became overwhelmed with all of this shit, I would've exected the activity to die down slowly, but yours went down in a hurry. Did something happen to prevent you from getting on, or did you just get too overwhelmed by the shit that was going on.

Vollstrecker
2006-02-20, 04:03 PM
If I remember correctly, his move to Dan's was a swift thing, which would explain him disappearing. I could be entirely wrong though.

At any rate, welcome back Raz. Glad to hear things are beginning to look up after that nightmare.

Lenny
2006-02-20, 04:08 PM
I'm sure he was still posting after his move to Dan's, though I might be wrong. I remember he was talking about it.

Demosthenes
2006-02-20, 04:13 PM
If I remember correctly, his move to Dan's was a swift thing, which would explain him disappearing. I could be entirely wrong though.

At any rate, welcome back Raz. Glad to hear things are beginning to look up after that nightmare.

I do believe he posted quite often from Dan's house.

Vollstrecker
2006-02-20, 04:14 PM

Then I am entirely wrong. My memory isn't the best.

Demosthenes
2006-02-20, 04:18 PM
Then I am entirely wrong. My memory isn't the best.

Damn straight, skippy!! Better recognize!

Jessifer
2006-02-20, 05:48 PM
Well, that's a relief. Stuff like that could really screw up a kid. :T

gruesomeBODY
2006-02-20, 09:00 PM
Well he might have not have internet where he was located. JR doesnt have internet at his new place so it could be similar.

Raziel
2006-02-20, 10:19 PM
One more thing I was wondering -- none of this explains your sudden disappearence from Zelaron. One day you were posting regularly, then poof, you were gone. If you became overwhelmed with all of this shit, I would've exected the activity to die down slowly, but yours went down in a hurry. Did something happen to prevent you from getting on, or did you just get too overwhelmed by the shit that was going on.

One-two punch. One, I became far too bogged down in all the nonsense to even want to spend any time online. I stopped writing for the site I was hired for, and I stopped visiting every board I was a regular member at. Two, I got kicked out of the house. After that, I didn't have regular access until Liz got her shiny new DSL. My only other option was the public library, and I was limited to half-hour bursts there. Not enough for foruming.

Correct. The drop-off came after Dan and I had our big fight and he booted me out of the house.

Well, that's a relief. Stuff like that could really screw up a kid. :T

Her kids are troopers. Luckily they take after Liz far more than they do their deadbeat, asshole father.

sciencekid
2006-02-20, 10:40 PM
at least there's some silver lining(the kids taking after liz more than dan) in that really, large, evil cloud that has permeated the situation

Dark Jedi
2006-02-22, 11:48 PM
It's definitely good to see you, man. I thought you'd been hit by a truck..though, that's my dark mind. In any case, sounds like you're on a road to recovery and I'm only thankful I bothered reading your sig in an old thread I was browsing and noticing it was different.

See ya around and try to pop over to FFN...well, it doesn't exist anymore, but I'll Pm you about that later. Take care.

Willkillforfood
2006-02-25, 11:09 AM
Reminds of a situation where a girl I know's boyfriend witnessed a guy strike his gf. He beat the guy until he was hospitalized. Sounds like Dan needs it too. It'd be cool if this were on slashdot or something and someone put out his name/address/phone number :P.