PDA

View Full Version : Positive Reinforcement

sue_13
2006-02-07, 10:49 PM
So, about 2 weeks ago my mom called me here at school and told me that my cousin was pretty sick and had the flu which made sense because I was also pretty sick and we had been around each other when I was home visiting. Anyway, neither one of us got better so we both went to the Doctor. It turned out, I had Pneumonia and they told her she just had a bad cold that possibly could turn into the same thing if she didn't take care of it. We both got our meds and such, and after about a week and a half, I was starting to get better. She, on the other hand, got much much worse. Two days ago her mother took her to the hospital here at college. They took some tests and such and sent her home. This morning the doctor called and told her to come back to the hospital immediately. It turns out, she has Leukemia (AML) and is in pretty bad shape. She's only a freshmen in highschool. She doesn't deserve this to happen to her. I'm trying to stay positive. I did some research and survival rates seem to be fairly decent, especially in recent years.

Someone tell me they've been through something like this and that it ended up being okay.

Sovereign
2006-02-07, 11:07 PM
cancer that is detected early has a very good chance of being beaten. Shes young and has a strong immune system. Cancer treatment has advanced a lot in the past decade. I'm sure shell make it out just fine.

sciencekid
2006-02-08, 12:09 AM
So, about 2 weeks ago my mom called me here at school and told me that my cousin was pretty sick and had the flu which made sense because I was also pretty sick and we had been around each other when I was home visiting. Anyway, neither one of us got better so we both went to the Doctor. It turned out, I had Pneumonia and they told her she just had a bad cold that possibly could turn into the same thing if she didn't take care of it. We both got our meds and such, and after about a week and a half, I was starting to get better. She, on the other hand, got much much worse. Two days ago her mother took her to the hospital here at college. They took some tests and such and sent her home. This morning the doctor called and told her to come back to the hospital immediately. It turns out, she has Leukemia (AML) and is in pretty bad shape. She's only a freshmen in highschool. She doesn't deserve this to happen to her. I'm trying to stay positive. I did some research and survival rates seem to be fairly decent, especially in recent years.

Someone tell me they've been through something like this and that it ended up being okay.

I didn't but a guy at my church had cancer. he got a bone marrow transplant and now he's more healthy than I am. I can pray for her if she wants me to, i don't know if she's religious, but it can't hurt, right? anyway, tell her that worrying w/ probably only stress her out, which will inhibit her immune system......

hey! here's an idea! i already told jamesadin this but, have her ask her doctor if he/she knows anything about olive oil treatment. a certain amount of it a day is supposed to knock of a lot of the defective parts of the cancer cells off and is supposed to work for breast cancer, but i don't know about Leukemia. just have her ask her doctor about it. he/she may not know about it because the process is probably still in the new stage, but it's worth a look into it. i'm sure that it would at least get to the Leukemia because the oil will be in the blood and Leukemia is a blood cancer, right? anyway, here's the website for it on discover.com: http://www.discover.com/issues/jun-05/rd/secrets-of-longevity/ it's the second article down. hope that helps!

sue_13
2006-02-08, 12:54 AM
Well see the thing is, it's AML Leukemia. I guess since it's that time, it happens very fast and it mimics symptoms of a simple flu so that is why she appeared to just be sick like I was. But the thing is, it has progressed extremely quickly. She's already extremely pale and she has to have blood transfusions. They said it's typical for an AML Leukemia patient to be like that but it seems like a bleak situation to me... but what do I know, I'm not a doctor. I hope they know what the hell they are doing.

gruesomeBODY
2006-02-08, 06:41 AM
I didn't have Leukemia, but i had a blood disorder called ITP, when a simple virus mimics/ copies your blood platelets and your body thinks that they are the bad guys. They never stop destroying them so in a typical human they would have about 400-700 hundred thousand platelets at a atime. I was down to just 1 thousand platets and the doctors were nervous that i was going to die cause my blood couldnt clot. I had blood transfusions all the time, makes u wicked sick, and i was never around anybody except doctors. If i did go to school, i had to be escourted from class to class by my teachers so that i wouldnt be pushed around and bruise easily. Needless to say but i couldnt play contact sports, the main reason i picked up golf, and just waited for it to either go away on its own or for me to pass on. Well, my body final realized what it was doing and now im back around the normal range.

All i can say Sue is that its not going to be easy. She isnt going to ever be the same again, due to the meds, but she is still your cousin. Pray for her, if you are religious, and i hope all works out for you. Im hear if you need to talk so drop me an im or pm abd we can talk more.

sciencekid
2006-02-08, 05:45 PM
but it doesn't hurt to try what I said, right?

Curian
2006-02-16, 11:03 PM
Well there is always toxic treatment and I dont mean that radiation shit either but a German doctor found a poison that so far when tested has destroyed two types of cancer but in the process it could have side-effects anyways chances are she willl be fine like Sov said she is young and has a good immune system.

sciencekid
2006-03-10, 12:08 AM
not to bring up an old topic but, how's she doing?