PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes

Lenny
2005-08-17, 02:46 AM
How many of you like Cricket?

And how many of you Cricket likers have been watching the Ashes so far?

I'm not the sports greatest fan, yet this years Ashes is pretty good. The tension is electrifying, the standard of play is amazing...since when have England been able to play Cricket?!

The first test at Lords, we lost horribly. I can't remember the result, but I can remember that we lost horribly.

The second test at Edgbaston was when we actually started to play Cricket. We won the first innings, and finished the second on 150 (ish). In the end, we managed, by some freak miracle, to win a Test match, against Australia, in the Ashes, by 2 points!! w00t!!

The third test match was at Old Trafford at the end of last week and over the weekend. I don't think PureRebel will mind if I say we completely outclassed the Aussies. Unfortunately, needing only one more wicket to win, the last ball of the last over was bowled, and the match ended in a draw. *Sigh* :(

The England team have started playing extremely well, pulling off moves no-one, not even we Brits, thoyght they could achieve. Ricky Pontin, Australia's captain has also been playing exceptionally well, even during the last Test when it looked like Australia were going to lose yet again (he was named man of the match as well).

All eyes are now on Trent Bridge where England and Australia clash once more in the 4th Test match of the Ashes.

If I didn't know how badly England can play Cricket, then I might be forgiven for saying that if ever it is our year to win, then this year is that year.

JRwakebord
2005-08-17, 08:39 AM
The post from the guy with the mantis makes more sense to me than that.

Lenny
2005-08-17, 08:45 AM
Which guy with which Mantis?

And you probably won't understand it...it's an age old rivalry between England and Australia that the Americans have had no hand in at all.

The death of England Cricket it was. They burnt one of the stumps.

Where's PureRebel when you need him?!

Lenny
2005-08-25, 03:13 AM
The fourth Ashes Test starts today at Trent Bridge and for the first time in Trent Bridge's history every single seat has been sold out for all 5 days.

England are sticking with the same team we've had for the first 3 Test matches. I don't know about Australia though.

The pitch at Trent Bridge is very good for bowlers such as Hoggard (England), and should help him take quite a few wickets. It's pretty firm, and not as rough as Old Trafford.

If we can win this test match, then I think we will win the Ashes back. If we do then it will be the first time in something like 20 years.

JRwakebord
2005-08-25, 07:53 AM
Any sport that has a tea break is a joke.

Lenny
2005-08-25, 12:09 PM
Now that's what I don't get...cricket is supposed to be British (how can it not be with a tea break?!), yet we're absolutely hopeless playing it.

Btw, we won the toss and have finished the first day on 247-4.

Lenny
2005-08-28, 11:52 AM
w00t!

We've won the test match at Trent Bridge.

We finished the second day on 447 all out, and Australia finished 218 all out.

They followed on, and were all out for 347, leaving us with a total of 129 to reach.

We managed it, with 3 wickets to spare to go into the lead 2 games to 1.

We only need a draw at The Oval to win the Ahses for the first time in 18 years! Australia need to win outright.

Come on!

Lenny
2005-09-12, 02:33 PM
WE WON!

ENGLAND HAVE WON THE ASHES!

A superb innings of 159 for Kevin Pietersen batted Austarlia right out of the game, forcing the Umpires to decide no more play should be played as Australia had no chance!

We are now number 1 in the world in Cricket!

Btw, now is the time for Cricket to be explained to those who don't know...

JRwakebord
2005-09-12, 07:22 PM
Btw, now is the time for Cricket to be explained to those who don't know...

So... Everyone but you?

Lenny
2005-09-13, 09:31 AM
Erm...most probably yes. Me and PureRebel. And anoyone else who is English, or Australian, or Pakistani, or West Indian...and so on. All the people from countries where Cricket is a main sport, please say "Aye".

*tumbleweed*