PDA

View Full Version : End of school and relationships

Grav
2005-08-11, 02:26 PM
What's to be done when everyone's going off to college and you don't want to say goodbye to your girlfriend? I see a lot of 17-18 year olds facing this problem right now.

50% of them break up in one way or another
20% of them become increasingly distant and will break up in college
20% of them will try their hardest to maintain a long distance relationship
10% of them planned their colleges to be close to each other or are taking a year off to be with each other for a while or somesuch

As for me, I'm currently with the first girlfriend I can ever say I "loved." For her it's the same. We're very similar, almost to the point of creepiness because we have the same interests, finish each other's sentences, always have the same idea at the same time, and so on. Our friends basically see us as the female/male counterparts of each other. We'll be forced to be many hundred miles apart in about a month. She's going to a prep school for more math/science on the field she wants to go to college for, Architecture. During this time I will be finishing high school and I feel I want to go to college for Engineering/Design.

Anyway, I really don't want to lose her right now, and it seems unfair that things are being abruptly put on hold or cancelled outright all of the sudden. For the next year or so there is nothing I can do. But it's possible we could end up going to colleges near each other, or something. Our fields of interest are pretty closely related.

What do you think you would do? Try to plan so we end up near each other, just leave it be, or maybe something else? Do you think relationships like this can work out in the end?

!King_Amazon!
2005-08-11, 02:32 PM
I'm getting an apartment with mine and going to the same college as her. Simple enough I guess.

Grav
2005-08-11, 02:59 PM
Did you change your plans because of her?

!King_Amazon!
2005-08-11, 03:07 PM
We both made plans together. I'm going to be with her after highschool whether I have to wait to go to college or not.

Grav
2005-08-11, 03:09 PM
So you care for her that much? Have you ever thought that it would be so bad if you went your seperate ways and possibly met other people?

!King_Amazon!
2005-08-11, 03:12 PM
Tommorow is our 4th anniversary, we both know very very well that we want to spend the rest of our lives together. I have no interest in other people and neither does she. We have both expiremented with others during the course of our relationship, and we both found out that we only want to be with each other.

Grav
2005-08-11, 03:16 PM
Do you ever think that might be sort of naive?

!King_Amazon!
2005-08-11, 03:39 PM
Up until when I lost her recently, I thought it might be naive, but when we broke up I pretty much only existed because of the hope that we might get back together. I didn't really know what I had until I lost it, and she felt the same way. I know for 100% fact that I want to spend my life with her. Some people say we're silly and it will never work out and such, but I really don't care what they think, nobody would be able to understand it unless they went through it like we did and they didn't. Hope that makes sense.

Sum Yung Guy
2005-08-11, 04:17 PM
Wow, deep. When I was in advanced individual training for the Army I dated this girl for about 4 months, then I got my orders to goto Germany and I never talked to her again.

pr0xy
2005-08-11, 05:19 PM
Why do people fall in love

Proximity/Propinquity- "Nearness" (Narrows the field. From these people who are readily available, select someone)
If you happen to be around people you are going to interact more.
The more you interact you will find common interests.
"Thank goodness we have this idea of proximity to help us sort out who our mate for life will be because essentially if we are honest about it we can always find someone better than anyone we are with at any given time."

Surge. If you both love eachother as much as you say then it shouldn't be any problem at all... If you want to talk on aim then just message me. I gotta go now.

sue_13
2005-08-11, 07:10 PM
I dumped my girlfriend because I'm leaving for school soon and the whole distance thing would have just been gay.

-=Rico-GP=-
2005-08-11, 08:00 PM
Good for you man. :D

Arkantis
2005-08-11, 08:39 PM
Thread reply
I dont know? Why give a definte awnser when almost any time in a relationship you can say, Well he/she does or she/he dosent, unless he/she does.
Annoy youre friends till you get an honest opinion and go all over it.
Thats how I would do it.

Thanatos
2005-08-12, 07:27 AM
Honestly, I don't think pre-college relationships last.. at all. College is a whole new life, really, and you meet so many new people (hot college chicks). So, in the end it all works out!