PDA

View Full Version : The Mars Volta

Penny_Bags
2005-07-14, 07:10 PM
Ive been listening to this band since they were formed from pieces of "At the Drive In"... and I just started listening to their new CD again today... just would like to know what people think of them.

Personally I think both of their CD's are brilliant... but the second is brilliant from an art standpoint. The musicianship is very good, as are the vocals... but the second album extends to the point of over doing it on the whole "art rock" thing. However, I do like it. A lot.

Anyone into The Mars Volta? It's fucking trippy shit if you havent heard them. Imagine making Led Zeppelin more modern, crossing them with Pink Floyd style progressivism and artsiness, and then add in some modern shredding.

They are, however, overrated. I like them, but they aren't the best thing ever. They aren't really listenable unless you have an hour to listen to the whole album.

ask_rabber
2005-07-14, 11:34 PM
I listen to them once and a while. I prefer their old cd to their new one by a little bit. Specifically, I like Televators.

sue_13
2005-07-14, 11:52 PM
I listen to both albums. I too prefer the first one. I'm a huge at the drive in fan though.

Mantralord
2005-07-15, 09:11 AM
Indie shit.

Penny_Bags
2005-07-15, 01:12 PM
Indie shit.
They really aren't indie so much as they are progressive. They have really good musicianship and complex music. That's not very Indie. Also, you are gay, but I don't typecast you... why do it to them?

Mantralord
2005-07-15, 02:07 PM
You can typecast me anyday baby.

uncapped
2005-07-16, 08:28 PM
Not a fan of the new cd, really. Old one kicks, though.

Penny_Bags
2005-07-16, 09:45 PM
I love the new cd man... love it....

I had to give it more of a chance than their first. The first one comes at you so fast. With the first songs build up and then he's just like sweet on the vocals on track 2.

Jamesadin
2005-07-21, 09:47 PM
I like alot of their music, but seriously, when they go into those four minutes of "forest noises, or organ jibberish... its just pretentious.

They do have good stuff, though.

Penny_Bags
2005-07-23, 02:49 PM
hahaha... it's not the random noises that makes them pretentious... it's them calling it "highly musical expirementation and an incredible musical statement".

RoboticSilence
2005-07-23, 07:09 PM
I like them but I would never buy one of their CDs. I just don't like them enough and I only started to like the vocals after I listened to the first CD a few times.

sue_13
2005-07-23, 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure if i never bought one of their CD's i wouldn't like them, but i bought one and the more i listened to it the more it grew on me.

Penny_Bags
2005-07-24, 02:25 PM
Cool beans. Me too.