PDA

View Full Version : How to reply

Demosthenes
2005-06-04, 10:30 PM
Keep in mind, I'm a mod, and I can't be too much of an ass.

The topic of, "cursing makes you look like you have a small vocabulary came up," and so I replied:

I've been here since the very beginning pretty much, and throughout my stay here there have never been any restrictions on what can and can not be said aside from the restriction on the discussion of warez, hacking, and personal flames, as far as I can remember off of the top of my head. I'm pretty sure that's not changing any time soon.

To which this guy replied:

As I said earlier, it is usually just indicative of a paucity of useful vocabulary and a pseudo-macho strut. With an entire lifetime behind me, including a stint as a swabbie, there's little, if anything, I haven't said -- in several languages. I'm not entirely beyond that, but it's as unimpressive as obfuscated code, fake ghetto, and other things of that ilk. I am not a censor. If you want my view on that, read the main page of my site at http://www.daweidesigns.com. Fluff and fake jargon, as well as euphemisms and other worthless expressions, merely make me step off into the grass and puke on my shoes.

Actually, that's not quite true. Some of the most articulate people I know curse like a sailor. Cursing is not really indicative of a small vocabulary or your level of intelligence, rather, cursing is just the norm. Secondly, you could be the most eloquent writer of all time, but it would be pretty much irrelevant here as long as you could express your ideas or questions on programming succinctly.

Perhaps you missed my use of the word, "usually". My statement stands, but is certainly not a legislation of other's opinions. Perhaps you also missed my reference to being a sailor, and the practice of the semantics thereof. I will add a new statement: obfuscated code and programming succintly are not the same thing.

Clearly, I am not a foe of outspokenness, having just been banned from a forum permanently after having "insulted admins", despite having contributed a large number of posts. I have lived in million-dollar houses and I have lived on the streets of the ghetto. I have worked in the boardroom and at day-labor. I have worked among high-ranking fools and among crackheads, speed-freaks, and drunks. A fool is a fool, whatever the reason.

Good, solid product impresses me. Product that is successful as judged by the bottom line and by its contribution to the lives of ordinary people, in the marketplace. Some of my posts, should they occur, will address that sort of coding. It is my way. Some of my posts will provide actual, working code (though rarely production-level, in this environment), proposed as a direct solution for the OP. Whatever.

I make mistakes. When I discover them, I apologize. I am not a believer in misleading neophyte programmers with protestations of my superiority and the putting forth of my personal preferences as law. I despise self-anointed gurus and high priests, every bit as much as I despise other fakes, whether their fakery is planned or just unthinking.

Now, the first paragraph, of course I caught the use of the word "usually", but I'm disagreeing with that. That doesn't really matter, though. And the sailor thing was done on purpose. Guess he didn't realize that. Now, he completely lost me on the last three paragraphs. What should I say?

LiveWire
2005-06-05, 01:05 AM
Tell him you have been in love with him since he joined.

Lenny
2005-06-05, 06:02 AM
He's full of himself...

He seems as if he's trying to keep a stiff upper lip and pass everything off as everyday occurences.

Tell him you hate "stuck up sticky-beaks" and that no-one cares about his things...

Or you could just say you've been in love with him since he joined.

Thanatos
2005-06-05, 11:05 AM
I love it how MJ asks us of our opinion on some other forum.

Here's what you should do: curse obscenely at him. Then tell him he has no life and his mother's a whore.

Mantralord
2005-06-05, 11:40 AM
This is the thread of legends.

slaynish
2005-06-05, 12:03 PM
Explain to him how you would like to meet him in real life and insert your harddrive in his system.

JRwakebord
2005-06-05, 03:26 PM
Call him a zonalon. Then, while he tried to figure out what the hell that means, date-rape his mother.

badboy
2005-06-05, 03:34 PM
Bring him to this forum so we can make fun of him.

tidus2005
2005-06-05, 07:21 PM
Tell him that while his pseudo-intellectual may impress those that the thread refers to that his vocabulary is not that impress in itself he uses the same large words more than once which is usually a sign that he only knows a few so he tries to use them as often they will fit so he sounds intelligent.

If all else fails you could just tell him that cursing sometimes is needed to express the severity of a situation. For example if it is cold out side it could be any where from 65 and below, however if you were to say it is FUCKING cold outside that is indicative that it is about 32 and below.

I however dont know much about programming so i dont know what this means "obfuscated code and programming succintly are not the same thing"

kevinlekiller
2005-06-05, 09:29 PM
Hi, since its been a long time I havent been here; wondering where the reply button is? All I see is quick reply. Im not a fan of it :) Thank you I think this fits the How to reply thread name.

Edit nevermind; Im used to click a button with reply and it brings me to a page.

I see you have to click Quick Reply and than Advanced. Sorry for wasting your time.

Thanatos
2005-06-05, 09:34 PM
Well.. that wasn't random or anything.

(Keep saying random and it loses all meaning; wtf!?)

JRwakebord
2005-06-06, 09:06 AM
Hi, since its been a long time I havent been here; wondering where the reply button is? All I see is quick reply. Im not a fan of it :) Thank you I think this fits the How to reply thread name.

Edit nevermind; Im used to click a button with reply and it brings me to a page.

I see you have to click Quick Reply and than Advanced. Sorry for wasting your time.

Um... What the hell just happened?

LiveWire
2005-06-06, 09:19 AM
Don't do that shit when im high, im really lost now. :(

slaynish
2005-06-06, 10:06 AM
Lol just tell him cursing is used to show emphasis

kevinlekiller
2005-06-06, 10:20 AM
Well now its you guys that are confusing me.

I was asking where the reply button went (the button at the top and bottom of a thread). You guys dont remember since you must be used to this quick reply thing. But its what I used to use back in the days.

Oh and also I wrote a very long quick reply describing an experience with a game but it told me I could not post since the thread was expired. (Suggestion:)There should be a notice to tell you its expired before you write the reply.

Thanatos
2005-06-06, 02:03 PM
How about.... be smarter.

kevinlekiller
2005-06-06, 09:53 PM
Thats what I did :)

tidus2005
2005-06-06, 10:02 PM
there is also a reply button at the top right of everyone's post box that allows you to automatically quote that person and it brings up a new screen.