PDA

View Full Version : Computer Discussion (Split from Free MMO thread)

Lenny
2005-05-01, 10:20 AM
They call 'em virtual graphics cards...take up part of the processors power...little bastrads they are...

!King_Amazon!
2005-05-01, 01:07 PM
I think you might mean integrated. I've got an integrated 64mb intel POS and I play WoW fine.

domolordy
2005-05-01, 03:48 PM
but i dont have WoW, so onto my original question, is there any good online free mmorpg

Sum Yung Guy
2005-06-02, 03:44 AM
but i dont have WoW, so onto my original question, is there any good online free mmorpg

Guild Wars.... well it has no monthly fee like all the others, but you still got to goto a store and buy it. Now stop being a cheap ass and go!

RoboticSilence
2005-06-02, 10:43 AM

I suggest dropping about $50 for a pretty good video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814153019 if you have AGP slots on your motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102354 if you just have PCI slots.

Lenny
2005-06-02, 10:58 AM
Oh...don't get Dom started on graphics cards...he has the worst luck with them...yet he can't be bothered to fork out £60 or £70 to buy a proper up to date one and have it installed.

Medieval Bob
2005-06-02, 12:30 PM
Have it installed?

Step 1: Take screws out of back of case and take case off.
Step 2: Plug card into AGP or PCI slot. It won't fit in the wrong slot, so don't worry about that.
Step 3: Put case back on.
Step 4: Turn on your computer.*
Step 5: Install drivers from the CD that came with the video card.

*If you're running on-board video currently, and you put in an AGP video card, you have to go into bios and tell it you're going to be using an AGP card. It's not too difficult--just another step you can't forget about.

Lenny
2005-06-02, 01:01 PM
He's not the best at this sort of thing...

And anyway, it's never that simple. We formatted our computer on Staurday and reinstalled everything on Sunday. On Monday we tried installing the graphics card. Now the good thing about ME is that it worked. The bad thing about XP is that it didn't. We ended up having to go into safe mode to install the drivers and disable the on board.

You neevr have those type of problems in ME, but when you move to a supposedly better OS then they start to happen.

Medieval Bob
2005-06-02, 01:14 PM
Are you saying that ME is better than XP? 0_0

Wait, are you saying that ME is better than ANYTHING?

XP > 2000 > 98 > > 95 > Dos > 3.1 > ME

(maybe switch Dos and 95)

Lenny
2005-06-02, 02:13 PM
In terms of being able to access things, ME is far better than XP. Microsfot think that they've cracked security on XP. Tell me how many times you've left all the security to the programs on XP.

And also, when installing my graphics card on ME, it worked first time. It took me 5 minutes to install. Then we come to XP. I did excatly what it said in the book that came with the graphics card on how to install it. It took me a whole damn day to install it on XP with me, as I've said, having to finally go into Safe Mode and install it because in normal mode it wouldn't work.

Now, judging on that, which is the better OS??

My graphics card is a GeForce FX 5200 128mb if it's of any importance.

Medieval Bob
2005-06-02, 02:18 PM
I'd literally rather run DOS on my machine than Windows ME.

Lenny
2005-06-02, 02:22 PM
If you know exactly what you're doing with DOS, then you can run it instead of anything.

I asked how many times you've left all the security to the programs on XP. Well??

Medieval Bob
2005-06-02, 02:34 PM
Um... I have Norton Antivirus, but that's about it.

That and I'm running Firefox.

Lenny
2005-06-02, 02:40 PM
There you go!! They say Xp has better security, yet who uses it??!

Another problem with XP is that SP2 conflicts with many of the good security programs that clever Xp users download instead of using Xp's own...such as Spybot, or AVG, or ZoneAlarm.

And Firefox doesn't stop you getting malicious ware. I used Firefox for about 6 months, and got a lot of viruses. I used IE, same sites, not as many viruses, and now Maxthon, and I get about one or two viruses a month...if i'm LUCKY!

And thanks to XP's absolutely wonderful access restrictions I can't get rid of them the way I would have done in ME. I find that even Norton can't work properly because of XP (compared to how well it worked in ME). It's got to a point where I've just thought "Sod it" and created a System Restore point when the computer was completely free of anything (spyware, trojans, hijackers, the lot) and keep on reverting to that whenever somethign happens.

Sure, XP may be more stable and doesn't crash as often as ME did, but ME is a far better OS.

Out of interest, have you ever used ME?? And if so, for how long??

Medieval Bob
2005-06-02, 03:07 PM
I used ME for about 4 months when it came out then I went back to Windows 2000.

Btw, who doesn't run Norton?

Lenny
2005-06-02, 03:11 PM
You'd be surprised...of the top of my head I can name at least 6 people I know who don't use it.

4 months isn't really long enough...I've been using it since it came out...up until Saturday.

Medieval Bob
2005-06-02, 03:28 PM
I think 4 months was plenty of time.

(Btw, this needs a split. We're WAY off topic. I'd do it, but... not mod in here.)

Also, since we're off-topic, I'll throw this here, as it doesn't deserve a thread of its own:

What makes you angry/scared?

Angry? Dom (Lord), some of the time. Road works. And of course, Mr. Tony Blair and his Labour Government.

Scared? David Dickinson! I have nightmares about orange skin because of him. Seriously, erm, deep water. In fact deep, moving water (such as rivers, or lakes, or the sea), being on boats in that water, and the deep end of a swimming pool. I’ve never been the same since I watched Jaws (or Toy Story for that matter. I used to lock my toys up at night. Ah, happy times).

Aren't lakes stagnant?

Lenny
2005-06-02, 03:52 PM
I agree...but where'd we put it??

And I don't think 4 months is enough. There are some situations that only happen after a year or so of being on ME...

RoboticSilence
2005-06-02, 04:34 PM
ME was horrible for the first year or two. Microsoft actually did a good job of patching it to the point where it didn't bluescreen randomly and then lock up when you tried to restart.

Penny_Bags
2005-06-02, 05:00 PM
I hate my comps. when I go to college I am going to try to scam my dad into getting me a 1337 gaming comp.

Mantralord
2005-06-02, 06:06 PM
Hey Lenny, I wanna put my HKEY_CURRENT_USER into your Registry.

Grav
2005-06-02, 06:11 PM
Hahahahahaha!!!

D3V
2005-06-03, 01:02 AM
Fuck regedit.

RoboticSilence
2005-06-03, 01:04 AM
Fuck regedit.
Regedit is an incredibly useful utility. Why the hate?

Mantralord
2005-06-03, 01:13 AM
Hey Robotic, I wanna extract the resources out of your .EXE file.

undeadzombieguy
2005-06-03, 01:25 AM
I dont use Norton. I've used mcafee. The bastards will only let you use it a year though, after that you have to buy it again...

Right now I dont use ANY security at all.. except for the windows firewall. I dont really care if hackers get inside my comp, I've got nothing on there that isnt easily replaceble. The only important thing I use my computer for is banking which is pretty much impossible for normal hackers to crack.

Lenny
2005-06-03, 03:31 PM
So this is where this went to.

Right, Mr. Bob...where were we??

And Mantra, no thanks. I don't want your HKEY_CURRENT_USER. I've got my own thankyou very much.