PDA

View Full Version : Gas & oil stockpilling

Kaneda
2005-05-29, 06:38 AM
I'm planning on renting a storage unit when I get some extra spending cash and I'm going to start to stockpile oil and gasoline. The gas I'll put in steel drums, and I'll probably just buy cases of oil, as bulk as I can get them. The world is going to be changing very soon and very dramatically. I'm not sure how long my gas supply would last me but I should have enough to offset the extreme prices in the near future for a few years. Especially since I'll be using a motorcycle, and when a commercial one is released a hybrid motorcycle or fully electric.
I wonder though about the safety of keeping gas in a hot storage room... Depending on how well the drums are sealed and the ventalation of the room I think it should be ok. Are any of you worried about the state of our nation? Don't you think we need to have a President that is dedication soley to us and not worring about the affairs of other nations?

LiveWire
2005-05-29, 06:41 AM
I'm rich so i don't care about you little people.

sue_13
2005-05-29, 08:32 AM
If all that shit blew up it'd make for a hell of a show.

D3V
2005-05-29, 10:50 PM
I'm rich so i don't care about you little people.

Omfg I found osama.

badboy
2005-05-30, 12:15 AM
Gasoline goes bad just like anything else, you can't really just store it.

Mantralord
2005-05-30, 03:40 AM
I'm sure you can store it, my parents keep gas for the lawnmower in the garage for months and months at a time.

Titusfied
2005-05-30, 10:30 AM
This is true. As long as you have the proper container for it and keep it relatively cool, you can store gasoline for prolonged periods of time.

badboy
2005-05-30, 11:08 PM
I wonder though about the safety of keeping gas in a hot storage room...

There you go.

Lenny
2005-05-31, 03:33 AM
Kaboom??

If it gets too hot, then something's gonna go...

If not, the oil might do something or other that you don't want it to do...

tidus2005
2005-05-31, 09:42 PM
If i hear about a storage unit blowing up i will know who is to blame.

but on a more serious note i think that plastic barrels might be better than steel drums because almost all gas cans that i see are plastic. I am not sure but i think gas tanks are made out of a special kind of metal that doesnt rust/corrode.

RoboticSilence
2005-05-31, 11:01 PM
It isn't going to blow up for being 80 degrees. In fact it wouldn't blow up until it reached 150 degrees and then introduced to a flame:

"Cool or cold No. 6 fuel oil is surprisingly stable. Don't try this at home, but a burning match or a shower of sparks would probably not be sufficient to ignite the fuel oil. On the other hand, when No. 6 fuel oil is heated, problems can arise. Flashpoint is defined as the temperature at which a liquid gives off enough flammable or combustible vapors to sustain a flame.

The flashpoint of No. 6 fuel oil is approximately 150 degrees Fahrenheit. If the vapors mix in the correct proportion to air, an ignition source as small as a stray welding spark can cause a violent explosion. The tanks blow up when flame from an accidental ignition source traces a path of vapor up into the empty space in a tank.

This headspace is actually filled with flammable vapors if the contents of the tank are above their flashpoint. No. 6 fuel oil is a complicated mixture, and it sometimes contains hydrocarbons with flashpoints significantly lower than 150 degrees. For this reason, No. 6 fuel oil will sometimes give enough flammable or combustible vapors to start a fire when the oil is stored at ambient temperatures. When these vapors burn inside the tank, they produce enormous pressure.

Such explosions have been known to tear storage tanks off their foundations, causing oil-spills and expensive fires."

Gasoline is a bit different:

"The most commonly known flammable liquid is gasoline. It has a flash point of about -50° F (-65° C). The ignition temperature is about 495° F (232(232° C) [sic], a comparatively low figure."

That means that unless you light a match and throw it on the barrel, the gasoline is not going to explode. Now degradation factor is different: http://home.aol.com/keninga/fuel.htm

`Insolence`
2005-05-31, 11:15 PM
Quit being a puss. My car is powered by gold dust...

Most storage spaces are cooled, or so I hear 'climate controled', may not mean cooled.

JRwakebord
2005-06-01, 06:44 AM
Climate controlled means that the temperature will stay away from the extremes. It won't get excessively hot or cold.

Kaneda
2005-06-16, 12:46 PM
HAHAHA! Hyrodgen power 4 teh win!
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/1447