PDA

View Full Version : Battle! Fox McCloud vs. Luigi

Titusfied
2004-08-04, 03:06 PM
Arena:
Bamboo Grove - Think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Acres and acres of swaying bamboo, steep uphill grade, loose soil, a moderately sized river running through the grove's center. Waterfalls, ponds the whole works.

In the red corner, Fox McCloud, the leader of the space team Star Fox, readies himself for battle. Can his drive to avenge his father's death against a man not involved still be enough for Fox to vanquish his enemies?

And in the blue corner, Luigi, without the aid of Mario, eyes up his opponent. Can the spaghetti slinging, loving hero of so many games come out on top?

As the two look into the wonderous rainforest-like battle arena, they catch each other's eye and immediately scatter. What are their strategies? Only time will tell..

Hades-Knight
2004-08-04, 04:03 PM
Fox Mccloud will call in his airship and nuke the arena. GG

HandOfHeaven
2004-08-04, 04:22 PM
At first I would say Fox McCloud would own Luigi, but Luigi is so unpredictable. Luigi will just shoot his green fire balls at Fox. He'll make a nice 2nd course at the dinner table.:D GG NO RE!

Titusfied
2004-08-04, 05:05 PM
Some of Luigi's skills:

Fireball: You know what this is.. Relatively ineffective though.

Super Jump Punch (Shoryuu-Ken): He attacks with an uppercut (punch directed to the sky) while in the air, with a super big fist.

Luigi Cyclone: The Luigi Cyclone is an all-purpose attack, because there is little recovery to this move. It attacks at all angles, and while performing this move, he is invulnerable. Basically, the Luigi Cyclone looks like Luigi spinning really, really
fast, causing a white-in-the-air effect.

Green Missle: Luigi makes his head point at the opponent, then, he'll launch himself at him/her. Sometimes when using the Green Missle, he'll be ignited, causing a big explosion; when this happens, he deals a LOT of damage.

Some of Fox McCloud's skills:

Laser: Fast attacking move, but causes minor damage. Doesn't phase opponents, but the farther away, the more damage inflicted.

Fire Fox: Fox becomes a fireball of sorts and sets ablaze those who touch him.

Fox Illusion: Fox dashes at light speed, causing him to be invincible while doing so. No damage gets inflicted, but is used to travel through enemies and get out of danger quickly.

Reflector: Bounces projectiles off him, shocking opponents on activation only.

Various Kicking Techniques: Such as rapid kicking, roundhouse, flip kick, tornado kick, spin kick, flying kick, and back kick. All do minimal damage, but are effective inside melee abilities to have.

Now, as I see it, Fox couldn't possibly lose. He not only has faster skill abilities than Luigi as a whole, he has major evading techniques and would never get in a situation he can't get out of. How can the minimal moves on Luigi's part actually cause enough damage to take down Fox?

Raziel
2004-08-07, 12:32 AM
Ah ha ha! I've been waiting for this one!

Luigi wins. No contest. Why? Because he is an absolute badass. In addition to Luigi's SSBM abilities, he has a set of skills from one particular game that make him nearly untouchable.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. A Mario RPG on the Gameboy Advance released last Christmas. You play as a party consisting only of Mario and Luigi. No other playable characters. Now, the interesting thing about this game is that it plays very differently from a normal RPG. Yeah, you guy new armor and accessories. Yes, Mario and Luigi recieve new upgrades to their weapons. Yeah, it utilizes a turn-based combat system. However, the combat in the game is a lot more involved than a normal RPG. You can't afford to just try and shrug off attacks like in a Final Fantasy game. In order to deal with damage from the enemies, Mario and Luigi have basically two options at their disposal. One, they can dodge the attack altogether, or two, they can reflect the attack back at the enemy with their hammers.

Mario and Luigi are capable of nullifying, avoiding, reflecting and counterattacking every single enemy attack in the game. There is not a single unavoidable attack in the game. That right there speaks volumes about Luigi's maneuverability. The fact is, if an entire legion of nasty enemies can't hit the guy, what makes Fox any different? If the final boss is incapable of hitting him, what gives Fox the advantage?

On top of that, Luigi's hammer can be used to reflect any and all energy-based attacks right back at the enemy. That right there completely nullifies Fox's blaster and his reflector abilities.

On top of that, Luigi has an assload of experience going for him. He's much more suited to face-to-face combat than Fox is. Fox has been featured in a total of three games in which he's had to take enemies on face-to-face. Luigi has been featured in at least ten. So, experience in hand-to-hand combat is also more in favor of Luigi.

All in all, I have to give it to the L man. He's mean, he's green and he'll remove Fox's spleen...if so inclined.

Titusfied
2004-08-07, 11:02 AM
First, I've never played the game, so if I make false assumptions, let me know.

How does the fact that Luigi can reflect attacks with his hammer negate Fox's reflector abilities, but not the other way around? Wouldn't the reflects just go to a stalemate, at best, and negate eachother, or is that what you meant?

Mario and Luigi are capable of nullifying, avoiding, reflecting and counterattacking every single enemy attack in the game. There is not a single unavoidable attack in the game. That right there speaks volumes about Luigi's maneuverability.

Now that is not a very fair accessment what-so-ever. Just because someone is capable of doing something, doesn't mean it will always happen. By that token, no one can beat Luigi, since he can simply avoid every attack thrown his way... Now that just doesn't make sense. If anything, I would think that running light speed through someone as an avoidance mechanism would be the best way to not get hit, ever.

Now how the hell do you honestly plan on using the amount of games Luigi has been in as an advatage, because "he has more fighting experience"? Again, simply because I've been playing the game a lot lately, I bring Dante from DMC into the picture. Dante has only been in 2 games thus far, yet he is arguably tougher than any character in this entire tournament. This is of course speculation, but point being, the amount of games has little to no affect on the outcome of these battles, at least it should.

Some of the biggest downfalls to the FF characters in the past have been based on the fact that they are turned based and have the help from team members. How is this much different than the Mario and Luigi RPG you described above? Luigi isn't fighting alone in that game, nor is his real-time melee capabilities shown in that game. The only basis for that game being a factor is the fact that you said he could avoid all attacks, which is a moot point I don't think should be acceptable.

Fox, on the other hand, has speed to his advantage and quick attacks that don't take away at any sort of crippling recovery time. This would be a battle of speed, since avoidance is key, and quick attacks, which Fox has. No doubt a good fight, but much is still up in the air.

tokill.ace
2004-08-07, 11:09 AM
fox will own luigi, luigi isnt that good, like hades said, fox will call in his airship and nuke the fuck out of luigi gg no re

BlueCube
2004-08-07, 01:09 PM
How does the fact that Luigi can reflect attacks with his hammer negate Fox's reflector abilities, but not the other way around? Wouldn't the reflects just go to a stalemate, at best, and negate eachother, or is that what you meant?

I do know that, in SSBM at least, Fox's reflect can only work 2-3 times on the same projectile. If Fox fires a laser at an enemy Fox character, and they refect back and forth, the shield on the target Fox is shattered since it runs out of reflects first. Luigi doesn't have this limitation, so Fox's shield would be shattered and he would be stunned.

Just because someone is capable of doing something, doesn't mean it will always happen. By that token, no one can beat Luigi, since he can simply avoid every attack thrown his way...

Well, the first time an enemy attacks, you pretty much don't know the timing of the attack, and usually get hit. Once you have the timing down, you should never take any damage again unless you screw up the timing.

...Luigi isn't fighting alone in that game...

Luigi does actually fight alone for a while, which actually makes it a bit easier for the player because you're only worried about enemies going for Luigi instead of trying to figure out who's being targeted, Mario or Luigi.

Titusfied
2004-08-07, 02:09 PM
I highly doubt these battles can be based on timing. This is real-time action, and I've yet to see any game that is based on a style of fighting that can time every attack and avoid everything after they've seen a variation of it. If you guys have, please fill me in, that way I never have to subject myself to such a crappy game.

Thanks for the explanation on the reflecting. That still doesn't change much, unless they are super close to each other while in this reflect battle, since a simple jump would suffice for either side.

Hades-Knight
2004-08-07, 03:13 PM
I heard theres a new FF comign out that the fights will be real time, finally a FF game worth buying, I hate havign to choose spells and wait for turns and shit

BlueCube
2004-08-07, 03:18 PM
I highly doubt these battles can be based on timing. This is real-time action, and I've yet to see any game that is based on a style of fighting that can time every attack and avoid everything after they've seen a variation of it. If you guys have, please fill me in, that way I never have to subject myself to such a crappy game.

That game would be Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga..

Of course, it's probably easier to think of it in Mario RPG and Paper Mario terms, but instead of simply reducing damage, you can avoid it entirely or reflect it back. If a goomba attempts to attack you by running into you, you can jump over it normally - but if you time it correctly, instead of jumping over the attack, you can land on the goomba directly, and deal some damage. Of course, if you screw up you'll be hurt.

Of course, they might attack Mario or Luigi, so you either have to hit the A button or the B button at the correct time based on who's attacking who. If you hit A instead of B, Mario will attempt to avoid an attack that's actually attacking Luigi. And a lot of them really mess with your head - there's this one enemy that'll flash green when it's attacking Luigi and red when it's attacking Mario. This gets you used to the whole color association thing. Then, if you hurt it enough, it screws up and attacks the opposite color that it flashes, and pretty much lures you to avoid with the wrong person. It's hard to explain how much it affects you unless you've played it.

gendark01
2004-08-07, 05:45 PM
I aggree Luigi kicks Fox Mclouds ass!! All he has is that stupid ray gun and a deflector shield. Luigi gots that ubber mustache and fireballs. The only way Fox could win is by his stupid air ships that shoot ya.

Great-Thanatos
2004-08-07, 05:54 PM
Some of Luigi's skills:
Fireball: You know what this is.. Relatively ineffective though.

Fire ball everywere, don't have to aim for fox just make fire so fox can't call in air ship and nuke/run like the dog he is fox fries and dies...gg luigi wins

Titusfied
2004-08-07, 07:29 PM
Well, Hades post about using the spaceship to nuke the arena is irrelevent because I don't think Fox is allowed to call upon the ship for support. Fox can shoot the laser gun faster than Luigi's fireballs too.

Great-Thanatos
2004-08-07, 11:08 PM
Did you ever play Mario 3? Luigi + Mario shot fbs like insanly, Luigi could get the area covered in a couple of seconds while dodging the laser....

akuno
2004-08-09, 01:51 AM
i have to side with Fox man fox may not have an "uber" mustache but imo his mustache have very little to do with the fight =P

Fox moves faster than the big L so in my mind that would give him an advantage, and his lazer was better in SSB on N64 hehe it was like falcos on melee sorta.

and on the can avoid all damage thrown at him point, well fox can too its called jump.. just gotta time it right. The fact is cause u Can do something doesnt mean it is gonna happen that way Every time, just cause i can flip a coin and get heads doesnt mean it is gonna happen every time. er i know there is no skill involved with timing a counter, but there is luck invilved with all things in this and their world. hehe

so Fox for teh win with his Uberness... imo anyway

Draco2003
2004-08-12, 10:16 PM
This is an unfair match. Luigi has no good powers or games or anything to credit him to. He is an alter ego of Mario, if you will. Fox is the star of his games and controls a team of elite space animals. What happened was Luigi was looking at fox and trying to get his autograph at an E3 showing of his new game, when Fox thought he was flirting, he challenged him to a fight TO THE DEATH!!! Well, maybe not DEATH, but damn near it. Fox will bust out his blaster and blow a hole in the low-wage-paid plumber's head and *POOF* end match. Ha, chalk up another one for team Psychic. HOO HAH!

Raziel
2004-08-16, 10:33 PM
A winner has been determined! Please check the Bracket Thread for details!