PDA

View Full Version : Message Screen

Tsukasa
2004-04-01, 02:11 PM
Could someone please tell me how to keep the font on the message screen. Every time I make a message for some reason a huge portion of it doesn't show up. I really need help. Also in case some people don't know if you are playing or testing a game you can take it from full screen to a window view by pressing F4 .

BlueCube
2004-04-01, 02:53 PM
The length of the message screen is not equal to the width of the message box. I'm not sure why it's set up that way, myself.

The in-game font uses monospaced fonts, and can hold 50 characters per line, by my count. A picture should help:

http://www.iownjoo.com/freeimghost/imps/50spaces.JPG

Of course, it's obviously lower with a picture - when that happens, the character limit is 38!

http://www.iownjoo.com/freeimghost/imps/38spaces.JPG

As a general rule, keep all text before the C in the "Cancel" button.
If you're using a picture, keep the text before the right edge of the OK button.

Obviously, this won't always work, but it'll keep you from having to redo much - you might have one letter over the limit sometime, or you might have a lot of space left on that line. You could always do a character count in Word if you're worried about a particular line.

=======================================

Remember that, in normal, proportionally spaced fonts, the letter "i" takes up less space than an "m". 10 of each letter:

iiiiiiiiii
mmmmmmmmmm

In a monospaced font, "i" and "m" take the same amount of space:

iiiiiiiiii
mmmmmmmmmm

So that's the reason for this whole problem.

Tsukasa
2004-04-01, 07:11 PM
Thanks BlueCube. so when I hit that point should I just use something to fill that space so I don't run into that problem??? :confused:

BlueCube
2004-04-02, 05:38 AM
Thanks BlueCube. so when I hit that point should I just use something to fill that space so I don't run into that problem??? :confused:

Nah, just hit Enter for a new line, don't even bother filling up the space you can't see.

Tsukasa
2004-04-02, 01:26 PM
Thanks BlueCube...in one of your earlier posts you told somebody that there were 480 tiles in a tileset. How did you get that number because I only counted around 302. :)

BlueCube
2004-04-02, 05:12 PM
I said this in the other thread, but just to clarify:

--------------

Each tile is 16x16, the whole tileset is 480x256.

(480/16)x(256/16) = 30x16 = 480

-------------

That's the tileset graphic file itself, not the number of direct tiles. The "grass" tile looks like 1 within the program, but it's actually made of 12 tiles - open a tileset in MSPaint to see.

In the game, the lower layer has 6x27, or 162 tiles, while the upper layer has 6x24, or 144 tiles. The total from THAT is 306 "useable" tiles.

Again, I really suggest opening up a tileset (after you make a copy of course). Just play around with it.

Grav
2004-04-02, 05:18 PM
*UNSUMMON BLUECUBE*

Tsukasa
2004-04-02, 06:57 PM
Oh, ok i just wasn't sur what you meant by that and I forgot that some tiles were animated. How long have you been using RPG Maker and do you make games often? Thanks :)