PDA

View Full Version : using moves outside of battle

raven5540
2003-11-19, 10:26 PM
ok before i ask the other question. i am soooo close to finishing my game or at least the demo. Theres anly a few bugs to sort out and theres one that im baffled by. In each house in the village theres a "mat" thing around each table. Now when my charecter walks on the mat the screen fladhes red and he takes damage (might be the whole party aswell but i havent tested that yet) now its a real problem that desperatly needs fixing. there are no events over the mat and no common events so...............

Can you make moves that work outside of battle like in golden sun? such as a move that will put out fire so u can pass or a move that will move big blocks etc etc. it would be awsome if i could because think of the pzzles i could make.

and theres anouther thing when u enter this forest bit ive put it so your charecter automaticly moves up and teleports to the next screen. Well when your charecter gets to the top of the screen the game freezes?

oh and when i asked BlueCube if he had ever started a project
[/quote]
Yeah, like 20. I have all these ideas, work on it for a while, then realize I have no story to support anything. Sure, a day-night cycle is cool, but once I got it working, I really couldn't figure out how to make a story with that.. I'm not a writer by any means. After a while, I delete the project that I worked for like 2 weeks on, and start over on a new "project"...
[/quote]
well im the oposite i write down a plan and story for a game but cant get around to program it. So maybe i can help u there. Send me your project idea and ill see what i can do with it. Actually it might be fun :)

BlueCube
2003-11-20, 06:10 AM
Yay for questions. Okay:

ok before i ask the other question. i am soooo close to finishing my game or at least the demo. Theres anly a few bugs to sort out and theres one that im baffled by. In each house in the village theres a "mat" thing around each table. Now when my charecter walks on the mat the screen fladhes red and he takes damage (might be the whole party aswell but i havent tested that yet) now its a real problem that desperatly needs fixing. there are no events over the mat and no common events so...............

Check the chipset/tileset's terrain settings. Look on whichever layer the mat's on, and look at the number on the tile. Compare it with the list on the right. If you didn't change any terrain settings, it's probably #8, "Damage Floor", which is rather self-explanitory. If it's not #8, either:

1) Check the Terrain tab. Whichever number that the mat is, set that terrain to zero damage.
2) Change the terrain settings for those tiles to another terrain.

====================

Can you make moves that work outside of battle like in golden sun? such as a move that will put out fire so u can pass or a move that will move big blocks etc etc. it would be awsome if i could because think of the pzzles i could make.

Yeah, you can. Either bind it to a "Key Input Processing" parallel process (like the period key or slash key) or just have a magic move that actually only sets a switch. When that switch is pressed, it should branch, check your current location, then do whatever you want. (You'll need to use variables to do the calculations, though.)

and theres anouther thing when u enter this forest bit ive put it so your charecter automaticly moves up and teleports to the next screen. Well when your charecter gets to the top of the screen the game freezes?

You might have an auto start event that doesn't shut itself off. Make sure that, at the end of that auto start event, you set a switch that stops it.

oh and when i asked BlueCube if he had ever started a project

Yeah, like 20. I have all these ideas, work on it for a while, then realize I have no story to support anything. Sure, a day-night cycle is cool, but once I got it working, I really couldn't figure out how to make a story with that.. I'm not a writer by any means. After a while, I delete the project that I worked for like 2 weeks on, and start over on a new "project"...

well im the oposite i write down a plan and story for a game but cant get around to program it. So maybe i can help u there. Send me your project idea and ill see what i can do with it. Actually it might be fun :)

Heh, what I meant was that I'll have a strange idea: "Hey, I'll make it so all my areas have a map! And it'll show your current position and everything!" Then, I'll go through a lot to get it to work, debug, test - then realize, I just built a game centered around making a map of that game. After that I get bored and start something else with a wierd idea - "I'm going to build a day/night cycle where the monsters only attack at night!". Do that, get bored, think of something else. It's more of a programming language to me than a game maker, really..

raven5540
2003-11-20, 10:38 PM
just when i think im starting to understand rm2k3 all these other things come up and......

well it seems like a lot of talent is wasted if your not gonna make a game.