PDA

View Full Version : Just a question...

spa
2002-04-08, 05:58 PM
I am curious of all the C++ programmers out there. How many of you use Microsoft Visual C++ to do your programming? Because personally I found that C++ using a compiler other than Microsofts is a helluva lot easier and hey one less Microsoft product in use is good for everyone

Badass Gandhi
2002-04-08, 08:31 PM
I prefer Visual C++, because it's got lots of useful features, and a nice debugger.

WetWired
2002-04-09, 12:21 PM
Visual C++ kicks Borland C++'s butt. Eventually, you'll start writing Windows programs, and that's when you'll realize how great VC is. I started writing Windows programs with Borland OWL, but moved to MS MFC; the transition was hard, but it payed off with increased ease of writing programs. Also, Visual Studio is the best IDE I've ever used (and I've used plenty) hands down. As far as lack of bugs, features, and customizability, none compare. I even use Visual Studio for my non-x86, non-MS platform projects (though obviously not the VC compilers).

As for differences between compilers, I don't see what your problem is, except maybe that you have to make a project file or a makefile in VC, but in Borland C++ you don't. As for the compiler proper, it's very ANSI compliant, and the deviations are all well documented.

Visual Studio rules
--WetWired

GameCube
2002-04-10, 08:31 PM
whats the difference between C & C++

Penguin
2002-04-10, 09:35 PM
a ton of features and commands? =o

Badass Gandhi
2002-04-10, 09:42 PM
C++ is more object-oriented than C, which is great for handling large, complex chunks of data. Although I haven't seen much C, the object-oriented thing seems to make the code much sleeker and easier to write.

Ah well, WetWired could probably explain it better than I could...

And he'd probably make me look like a novice, too. So to get back at him, I'm gonna copy his style! :D
--Badass Gandhi

WetWired
2002-04-11, 07:37 AM
Well yes, the most obvious difference is the OOP. In addition, C++ often requires an explicit cast (especially for pointers) where C does not. C++ allows you to declare variables anywhere in a function, whereas C requires all declarations to be at the top of the function. C++ has dynamic memory allocation with new and delete, which take object size and initialization into account, whereas in C, you have to use malloc and free, in which you have to specify a size in bytes, then cast it to the type you need. C++ allows function overloading, which allows you to replace pre-existing functions, and define several functions by the same name with different parameters or parameter types (so you could write an "int makeint(char*)" and an "int makeint(float)", and the compiler decides which one is best for your use of it), whereas C has none of this. C++ allows you to define operators, while C does not. There are a few other nit-picky things, such as use of constant variables in array size declarations, which I tend to forget, and are not terribly important.

So there you have it, an overview of the differences between C and C++
--WetWired

GameCube
2002-04-11, 05:02 PM
thanx

WetWired
2002-04-12, 07:17 AM
Also, I forgot; C++ has references, which are like pointers, but you use them like normal variables. The only time I use these are in function parameters to pass stuff by reference, which is more convenient than dereferencing a pointer every time you want to use what is pointed to.

And you're welcome
--WetWired

Mr.Lee
2002-04-12, 09:43 AM
didnt understand anything about C++
or i dumb or something? :D

GameCube
2002-04-13, 11:12 AM
i dont know. or you?

Mr.Lee
2002-04-13, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by GameCube