PDA

View Full Version : php & mysql pls explain

0nyx
2003-06-04, 07:14 AM
why is php & mysql so good what dose this allow me to do ?

Randuin
2003-06-04, 07:46 AM
It allows you to do server side coding and databaes data management, which allows extreme security and undecipherable code

0nyx
2003-06-04, 08:48 AM
ok thx so if i dont need that security then i maybe wont need to use them?
or if i do need to use them is it hard to learn

Randuin
2003-06-04, 09:13 AM
well PHP + mysql makes dynamic news/blog/etc sites really easy since they extract the data from a database and then use a template and host them up, for normal html you have to reupload for every update you make on the news or blog site. But with PHP, you could have a form with all the standard fields such as:

Name:
Date:
Title:
And so on, and on the actually thing it will display how ever you manipulate the info.

Therefore if you want to make a dynamic data driven website, PHP is the way to go.

0nyx
2003-06-04, 11:03 AM
is it gonna be hard to learn to use, will i need to learn new codes? & did u say i can store the data on server as it is secured?

P.S thx for ur sensible answers!

Randuin
2003-06-05, 07:36 PM
yes i did say that mysql is a very secure database, and it's also open source, which makes it even more great, and it won't be hard, just keep coding and u'll get the hang of it

Acer
2003-06-06, 12:31 AM
PHP + mySQL is the best way to go in webdesign/managment IMO

0nyx
2003-06-06, 03:02 AM
Thx guys : )

Randuin
2003-06-06, 11:03 AM
PHP + mySQL gives you no advantage in web design what so ever. It just gives you power for interactivity, dynamic updates to your site, and data management, but that's only best FREE way to do it. If you have the cash, Oracle, Ms's SQL server works all good.

WetWired
2003-06-06, 01:13 PM
Unfortunately, if you're looking for premade stuff then you're mostly limited to MySQL if you're using php.

The fact of the matter is that the cheapest, most widely available method of dynamic content generation is PHP+MySQL. ASP is also common with corperate sites, though I don't know which DB engine is most used with it.

Personally, after writing my first dynamic site in ASP then moving to php, I like PHP better. BASIC is too limiting for my tastes.

0nyx
2003-06-06, 03:39 PM
cheers WW ill give it a try see if i can pick it up

Randuin
2003-06-07, 12:51 AM
Yes... I THINK I've heard that ASP either deals with Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL or Oracle SQL's database servers... (Man did I leave you alot of options there :p)

Acer
2003-06-07, 02:33 AM
PHP + mySQL gives you no advantage in web design what so ever. It just gives you power for interactivity, dynamic updates to your site, and data management, but that's only best FREE way to do it. If you have the cash, Oracle, Ms's SQL server works all good.

if you would only think about it.... just think about PHP and you could understand how it helps

Randuin
2003-06-07, 08:34 AM
it doesn't help... the actual design is completely graphical... what does PHP have anything to do with it?

Acer
2003-06-07, 11:41 AM
lol design dosent mean just graphical.... you know so much, you should know

Randuin
2003-06-07, 04:25 PM
i'm talking about graphical web design... can u please let others know before you change the subject?

LiveWire
2003-06-07, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately, if you're looking for premade stuff then you're mostly limited to MySQL if you're using php.

The fact of the matter is that the cheapest, most widely available method of dynamic content generation is PHP+MySQL. ASP is also common with corperate sites, though I don't know which DB engine is most used with it.

Personally, after writing my first dynamic site in ASP then moving to php, I like PHP better. BASIC is too limiting for my tastes.

Also doesnt ASP only work for Windows sever and not linux?

Acer
2003-06-07, 04:41 PM
i'm talking about graphical web design... can u please let others know before you change the subject?

I change the subject? you just said you were talking about graphic web design and the "subject" is about php & mySQL. Why do you got to argue?

Anyways... I personally love PHP, I haven't learn much of mySQL yet.

WetWired
2003-06-09, 08:34 AM
\[]emesis"]Unfortunately, if you're looking for premade stuff then you're mostly limited to MySQL if you're using php.

Also doesnt ASP only work for Windows sever and not linux?
Real ASP is only for Windows, though someone makes an ASP emulator for Linux.