PDA

View Full Version : Comp Q

JohnnyTAE
2003-01-24, 08:46 PM
If you're building your own comp hardware wise what else would you need besides the stuff that's already on my list?

Hard Disc:
RAM:
MotherBoard:
Case:
Cpu:
CD-RW:
Floppy Disk:
Network Card:
Audio Card:
Video Card:
keyboard:
Monitor:
USB:

Software:
Drivers, OS, ????

Rurouni Storm
2003-01-25, 08:21 PM
You'll of course need an OS of some sort. Drivers should be included with the hardware.

Need a printer?

RoboticSilence
2003-01-25, 08:36 PM
Some decent speakers... a laser mouse... a second CD drive...

Rurouni Storm
2003-01-25, 08:38 PM
Keyboard ;)

and I'd personally put a second drive in as a DVD-ROM.

drivehappy
2003-01-25, 08:41 PM
Power, usually comes with case though, but make sure it's enough.

Fans, if you have a lot of heat better get 1 or 2 in addition to any component fans.

JohnnyTAE
2003-01-25, 11:17 PM
Thanxz for the help it's all great but right now I am just trying too direct my attention towards what belongs in the case not all the other peripherals and a little on the software that I don't want too miss out on (and is basically required for a common comp/ not included with os)

I am kind of on a budget so if some one could go into more detail about the Needs, the Would be nice too have in, and only buy this if you have parents like TacoX...

drivehappy
2003-01-26, 12:03 AM
Well here's what I do when making my computers:

I usually goto www.tigerdirect.com, they have a large supply of computer components and it's a good source for quality stuff. They have motherboard/cpu bundles that save you some money and the good thing about it is that the cpu will work with your motherboard. But anyhoo.

I would get at least a 1.4g AMD, I don't like Intel that much since the AMD's go faster and are cheaper (Intel uses their logo to jack up the price).

Get a Radeon or Geforce video card, at least a 64mb.

Sound card, doesn't really matter.. I can't really tell the difference between the quality anyways.

Mouse- get a optical one.

Keyboard- internet based is nice.

Moniter at least a 17", make sure it will support the resolutions you might be using.

Harddrive- 60g at least, try for the 7600 rpm or higher.

CDROM 56x. CDRW anything above 10x write is good enough. Floppy drive. Zip if you use it a lot, get a 250- I've heard the new ones (750?) dont write to 100 discs.

Ram- at least 256k

Network card- 10/100 at least

Fan- At least one fan for the components, either attached to the back or on a HD.

Case- ATX is the standard, make sure theres a power supply with it. Also see if you can get one that has cooling components.

Cost for what I listed: about $600

Grav
2003-01-26, 12:13 AM
Just buy a 386 then overclock that shit to 3.4ghz

JohnnyTAE
2003-01-26, 09:58 AM
Thanxz Drive that helps a great deal :D

only thing is that your link doesn't seem to be working

mightychicken
2003-02-01, 09:23 PM
um... tigerdirect uses some crappy stuff. heck, you'd generally find better stuff at pricewatch.