PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know how to make a game on c++

HellSlayer
2002-12-15, 02:48 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew how to make a game using c++. I tryed to make a game but it was not worth the hard work. I tryed to get a manual but there were none on the websites i looked on. If u find any good sites post them plz. :)

Demosthenes
2002-12-15, 07:23 PM
i doubt your just going to get a manual on how to make a game. Unless you want to create something short and trivial games take a long time to make and are a lot of hardwork. You have to be really good at c++ then have some artists and stuff, its not just as simple as typing in 15 lines. If it was everyone would be doing it.

Dhelds
2002-12-16, 08:11 PM
games normally have thousands of lines of code, thats why there are bigass companys out there like blizzard, but, check some sites and the'll have souce code you can just add on too.

drivehappy
2002-12-24, 01:47 PM
i know there are sample code's for directx out there on c++ and vb. but if you're looking to make the next diablo, just look at how long blizzard is taking just with the patch (thats with 2 guys working on it, but im assuming they know what theyre doing too)

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"
2002-12-25, 07:26 PM
im assuming they know what theyre doing too)
i dont quite agree, lol well i do im just saying it's taking them LONG enough and if they would get off their fat asses im sure a patch would only take 3-5 months instead of a year+

drivehappy
2002-12-26, 07:20 PM
well i've worked on some simple directdraw games for a semimester project, and it took me at least two months to even remotely get it to what i wanted to do. Then there were still a crap load of class A bugs in there. So I think it's just the administration at Blizzard for not putting more people on the patch, but I hear that its in testing now, so hopefully itll come out soon.

vec
2002-12-26, 08:21 PM
heh i made a very simple guessing game in c++ in class... hehe and some other useless random crap my teacher made me do...

Demosthenes
2003-01-02, 12:09 AM
If you're serious about making a game then try www.libsdl.org

I found that helpful...although I don't know exactly what type of game you are talking about building.

Dalton
2003-01-04, 04:53 AM
im sure a patch would only take 3-5 months instead of a year+

Blizzard announced the 1.10 patch 7 months ago..pretty sad isn't it? They released information letting people know that a lot was going to change in the next patch...mostly the new type of characters; the ladder characters...This I can imagine taking up most of the time, and with 2 guys working on it...It won't be out for a long time. :cry:

Uh, but yeah...programming any type of graphical game takes a lot of skill, almost impossible for just 1 person to create, in my experience, i've never been assigned with another programmer with the ability to draw a half decent stick figure. o_O

Tai
2003-01-04, 06:27 PM
I've seen some prebuilt engines that can really shorten the process up, almost make it feasible for 1 person to do it.

Hmm oddly enough, that's a trait I recognize. Every programmer I know cannot draw at all, however every artist I know (including me) cannot code worth crap. It's a conspiracy!!! Oo;

Demosthenes
2003-01-05, 01:16 AM
heh...what tai sais is so true.

MKR
2003-01-25, 05:40 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew how to make a game using c++. I tryed to make a game but it was not worth the hard work. I tryed to get a manual but there were none on the websites i looked on. If u find any good sites post them plz. :)

I'd reccomend Windows Game Programming for Dummies. It takes you all the way from your first Windows C++ program to your first full blown 3D game.

ISBN: 0-7645-0337-5

mahmoudbahaa
2008-02-23, 07:13 AM
Iw ant to know how to make a game using c++...aid me please

MKR
2008-02-23, 08:57 AM
Hello old thread. New post notifications can have unusual side-effects!

!King_Amazon!
2008-02-23, 10:17 AM
I see what's going on here.

MKR set it up to get a notification whenever this post is posted in, so when mahmoudbahaa posted, MKR got a notification and came back.

STRANGE!

MKR
2008-02-23, 10:36 AM
I see what's going on here.

MKR set it up to get a notification whenever this post is posted in, so when mahmoudbahaa posted, MKR got a notification and came back.

STRANGE!

How very astute of you. :D

And there's another notification.

!King_Amazon!
2008-02-23, 10:41 AM
Stick around, you might have fun.

And if you don't stick around I know how to bring you back now anyway :P

MKR
2008-02-23, 10:46 AM
Stick around, you might have fun.

And if you don't stick around I know how to bring you back now anyway :P

Problem is, all the themes here make me want to burn my eyeballs out. I wouldn't mind sticking around if it weren't so uncomfortable. :)

!King_Amazon!
2008-02-23, 11:05 AM
You don't like Synthesis? It's pretty slick.

MKR
2008-02-23, 11:07 AM
You don't like Synthesis? It's pretty slick.

There are plenty of slick web interfaces that are a PITA to use. :P

At the moment I frequent the forums at Penny Arcade. That's a good example of the sort of layout I like. :)

Atnas
2008-02-23, 12:50 PM
Zephios is my favorite, to be honest. I like it far better than any Synthesis style.

Goodlookinguy
2008-02-24, 03:31 AM
Out of all of the Styles, I really like the x79.