Can someone explain to me what DNS is
and if there are any Tutorials out...
I would like to learn how to us it to become my own host/server

any suggestions????

anything helps

thx:D

drivehappy
2002-12-14, 10:05 AM
DNS is Domain Name System. It's basically something that allows the name you type in in IE to be transferred to a number. Theres a free DNS at www.dyndns.org. You can download a client there which will upload your IP if it changes. You then install IIS from Add/Remove Programs-Windows Components. Make a webpage named "default.htm" put it in the ipubnet/wwwroot folder. If you have a firewall on your router/modem, port forward port 80. Wait about an hour for the DNS service to get your IP number listed, because if a server cant find the number, it will search other servers for it. Ask someone to goto your website, and see if its up.

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"
2002-12-14, 10:42 AM
k so, this is how you can host your own website and domain name? wtf?

drivehappy
2002-12-15, 08:58 PM
yes, and explain the "wtf?" cronic

toby
2002-12-19, 11:30 AM
DNS is Domain Name Service. It resolves a particular domain address to a specified target file / ip / other domain. DNS isn't part of hosting, it is solely for telling your newly bought domain where to point to. Like Zelaron.com resolves to the oc-48 ip the server resides on. There is also rDNS, which is used mostly for connections where there is no domain for it. A good example is in irc. My ip shows up under the cox.net domain. But someone with a buisness DSL who has rDNS can make it say blah@hissite.com even though it's just his DSL. You still need a domain in order to use a DNS server, so don't think DNS get's you a domain. I hope this helped. If you need any further help just email me at toby@netsmog.com

WetWired
2002-12-19, 12:11 PM
Amazing that someone so net-savy can't figure out how to properly host his sig pic.

natedowgg
2002-12-30, 08:54 AM
ironic thing is... urs isn't hosted right either rofl

LiveWire
2002-12-30, 12:46 PM
MIne is hosted at Iownjoo, as well as WW, i was going to setup a homepage through DNS but NVM i just bought a domian name and a host

WetWired
2003-01-02, 07:34 AM
No, actually, Penguin purged some of his hosted images while I was away. His is just plain done wrong.

LiveWire
2003-01-02, 11:13 AM
No, actually, Penguin purged some of his hosted images while I was away. His is just plain done wrong.

Ya mine was done right, but i guess he just started to clear up some of his bw